Resident Return Visa (155/157) - Personal Ties

domado16

Hi all,

I am applying for a Resident Return Visa, I am a former permanent resident, I last left Australia at the beginning of 2005, my last RRV expired May 2009.

I do not satisfy the spent 2 years during the last 5 years in Australia condition, but I have compelling and compassionate reasons to have been away from Australia, and can convincingly present them. I also have personal ties to Australia. What I am asking here really is, to anyone with experience with this visa, whether my personal ties, generally speaking, are substantial enough to make me eligible. They are:

1. My blood sister was born in Australia, is an Australian Citizen, and has been a resident and student for the last 4 years. We are very close.

2. My grand mother, my two uncles and four aunts (all blood related, on my father's side) are Australian Citizens and have been residents for over 40 years. We have remained close during the time I have been away from Australia, they have visited us in my home country several times.

3. I spent the first 10 years of my life in Australia, "Australian" English is my mother tongue, my basic education is Australian, you get the picture.

Would appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

Never a good idea to leave it more than five years, that is when the need to show compassionate and compelling reasons comes into it. You are more or less at the five year mark so you will certainly need to do that now. A year ago you would only have had to show your ties and your extended family would have made a good case for you. I have seen RRVs being granted for people that seem to have a weaker case than you on the surface, but always a good idea to get a professional to help you lay out your application.

Hello

I moved Australia on a resident visa in 1990, returned to the UK in 1994. Last year I applied for a RRV, which has been granted.

I had to provide an awful lot of evidence as to why I had not returned to Australia sooner. The more information you can provide the better and evidence is the key.

I hope it all works out for you

• 1 year later...

Hi Sparkle67 - I am in a similar situation to you. What type of evidence where you required to submit?? In my case my son was born in Aus and is a Citizen. His mother and I split up in Australia and she demanded to return to UK with him (obviously). My son is now in Australia and we are very close (emotionally!!) Arrived in Aus 1993 and left 1998

Any advice would be great

Many thanks

Expired Permanent Residency

Hi Sparkle67 - I am in a similar situation to you. What type of evidence where you required to submit?? In my case my son was born in Aus and is a Citizen. His mother and I split up in Australia and she demanded to return to UK with him (obviously). My son is now in Australia and we are very close (emotionally!!) Arrived in Aus 1993 and left 1998

Any advice would be great

Many thanks

This thread is two years old - you might be better starting a new one. Lots of RRV expericens have been posted since then,

Archived