Education options for 3+ year olds in Perth,WA?

sipidan

Hi

Our daughter is 2years & 7 months old now, she currently attends a small private school in Bangkok 9am to 3pm Monday to Friday, which she absolutely loves. She started there just after her second birthday!

She currently hold 12 month visitor visa(3 month study) for Australia but processing her PR visas which is the visa that I hold!!

When we move to Perth full time next year, our daughter will still be 3 years old & i can't believe Year 1 in Perth for her is something like Jan 2018 WOOW!!!

Pre school January 2017...

And part time 15 hours a week kindergarten January 2016!

100% I would like her in full time education when we arrive.

Can someone advise with options?

Is private school in Perth our only option? Prices?

Recommendations?

I'm looking at buying a place either in Secret Harbour, Baldivis or maybe Rockingham, WA!!

THANKS

You can put her into child care for which you will have to pay. Probably somewhere in the region of $500-600 pw. I'm not sure about her visa status though - kids on tourist visas can only attend schools for 12 weeks but no one has ever asked about child care before. It won't be school though!

I dont know why you are so shocked! They wouldnt be at school at 2 1/2 in the UK either if you were there! I think your only option would be paying for Long Daycare or full time family day care which would cost around $100 per day depending on where you live.

Some of the private schools do more days but you might have a problem getting in for kindy if you are not on list already. I have a 4yr old who has just turned 4 in March and there is no way he would cope with more then 3 full days of school. It is full on for them they don't have nap time or anything so the little ones are exhausted by the end of the week. You might need to look into a daycare that runs a preschool program.

Hi

Our daughter is 2years & 7 months old now, she currently attends a small private school in Bangkok 9am to 3pm Monday to Friday, which she absolutely loves. She started there just after her second birthday!

She currently hold 12 month visitor visa(3 month study) for Australia but processing her PR visas which is the visa that I hold!!

When we move to Perth full time next year, our daughter will still be 3 years old & i can't believe Year 1 in Perth for her is something like Jan 2018 WOOW!!!

Pre school January 2017...

And part time 15 hours a week kindergarten January 2016!

100% I would like her in full time education when we arrive.

Can someone advise with options?

Is private school in Perth our only option? Prices?

Recommendations?

I'm looking at buying a place either in Secret Harbour, Baldivis or maybe Rockingham, WA!!

THANKS

School at age two years? I think you must mean long day care....

Your child will be able to attend Kindy when she is four years old, or three years old if she turns four before June 30th in the year of entry.

The same applies for Pre-Primary which is full time and compulsory from age five (or four if the child turns five before June 30th in year of entry).

You may be able to find a private school that offers longer hours for Kindy, however, anything other than that is simply daycare.

Perhaps just let her be a child like other children in your new country of residence?

School from an early age is normal in Thailand. Think it's 2 isn't it?

I doubt you will find any actual school for a child of your daughters age as the Aus curriculum doesn't start kids at school till 4/5. If you are migrating to Aus you will most likely have to adapt to the Aus education system and try to relax a little about school as you know it at such a young age your daughter won't be eligible to attend.

You will find day care, nursery and so on but not actual school. She will find her place in any of those settings and be doing the same things as other kids her age.

Currently at aged 2 years&7months old our daughter attends private school in Bangkok and has done for 6 months.

Monday to Fridays we drop her off at school at:

8.30am for the 1st 30 minutes all the kids in the school do dancing & singing together outside their classrooms(Lovely to see)

9.00am they go into classroom learning.

11.30am dinner time

12pm sleep

2pm playing together till 3pm when we pick her up.

Thats optional as the school is open 8am till 5pm.

Our daughter loves the school & so do we, she's learning a lot in two languages and will stay at that school until November 2014 MAYBE early 2015.

All we are thinking is that if we decided to move to Perth we feel like she'd be taking a step back??

If only day care was available until part time kindergarten February 2016

Thoughts welcome

Thanks

School from an early age is normal in Thailand. Think it's 2 isn't it?

I doubt you will find any actual school for a child of your daughters age as the Aus curriculum doesn't start kids at school till 4/5. If you are migrating to Aus you will most likely have to adapt to the Aus education system and try to relax a little about school as you know it at such a young age your daughter won't be eligible to attend.

You will find day care, nursery and so on but not actual school. She will find her place in any of those settings and be doing the same things as other kids her age.

Thanks for your nice comments, very much appreciated..

Adapt we may do :-)

Currently at aged 2 years&7months old our daughter attends private school in Bangkok and has done for 6 months.

Monday to Fridays we drop her off at school at:

8.30am for the 1st 30 minutes all the kids in the school do dancing & singing together outside their classrooms(Lovely to see)

9.00am they go into classroom learning.

11.30am dinner time

12pm sleep

2pm playing together till 3pm when we pick her up.

Thats optional as the school is open 8am till 5pm.

Our daughter loves the school & so do we, she's learning a lot in two languages and will stay at that school until November 2014 MAYBE early 2015.

All we are thinking is that if we decided to move to Perth we feel like she'd be taking a step back??

If only day care was available until part time kindergarten February 2016

Thoughts welcome

Thanks

Please try not to think of it as a step back. It's a step in a different direction is more the thing. It's a new country, new culture, new people and places. At such a young age in the Aus system it's about play, learning through it, being with other children of a similar age. I am sure she would be happy as nursery will have structure to it just different from what she has done before. There would still be naps if needed, play, singing, activities and so on. Just not the focus on academic learning till a bit later. End of the day they all end up at school at the same time and their academic learning begins then. People in Aus express surprise children in Thailand start school at 2, you express surprise that in Aus they don't start till 4/5. It's different, and moving countries is about the longer term than the short term isn't it? Yes it might be a big change for you to get to grips with but I am sure your daughter will adapt fine to it all.

She is very young, it's more your expectations for her and what you are accustomed to for her than what she wants isn't it. She'll have a great time at that age in Aus I am sure. Take the pressure off yourselves about it all if you can :)

Please try not to think of it as a step back. It's a step in a different direction is more the thing. It's a new country, new culture, new people and places. At such a young age in the Aus system it's about play, learning through it, being with other children of a similar age. I am sure she would be happy as nursery will have structure to it just different from what she has done before. There would still be naps if needed, play, singing, activities and so on. Just not the focus on academic learning till a bit later. End of the day they all end up at school at the same time and their academic learning begins then. People in Aus express surprise children in Thailand start school at 2, you express surprise that in Aus they don't start till 4/5. It's different, and moving countries is about the longer term than the short term isn't it? Yes it might be a big change for you to get to grips with but I am sure your daughter will adapt fine to it all.

She is very young, it's more your expectations for her and what you are accustomed to for her than what she wants isn't it. She'll have a great time at that age in Aus I am sure. Take the pressure off yourselves about it all if you can :)

Thank you very much.

A step in a different direction,I like that a lot!

Well you are helping taking the pressure off ourselves :-D

Archived