Top court recognises gender neutral

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Sydney (AFP) - Australia's highest court on Wednesday recognised the existence of a third "non-specific" gender that is neither male nor female, in a landmark ruling campaigners said will help end years of discrimination.

The High Court ruled that not everyone should be forced to identify as a man or woman when dealing with officials, saying some people could legitimately describe themselves as gender neutral.

"The High Court... recognises that a person may be neither male nor female, and so permits the registration of a person's sex as 'non?specific'," it said in a unanimous judgement.

The decision ended a long legal battle by sexual equality campaigner Norrie to overturn a New South Wales state edict that gender is an inherently "binary" concept involving only men or women.

"I'm overjoyed," the Sydney-based activist said. "It's been a long time from http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/world/a/22320027/australias-top-court-recognises-gender-neutral-sex-category/start to end but this has been a great outcome.

905daea9a7e3ffc5f10fb731d4ab5dfd0f3d0d0c-19jn7ra.jpgAFPAustralia's top court recognises 'neutral' third gender

This is horrendous news for anyone involved in form filling. Even worse for anyone stuck in a queue behind someone who claims to be neither male or female, and who insists on arguing the toss with an official who has to fill something out that doesn't cater for this third choice.

Guest Guest40285
Why ? Its true. He was born a male and had gender reassignment surgery. He should either choose male or female as his sex and be done with it.

Totally agree mate, freak for sure.

Guest Guest66881

The worlds gone bonkers and a certain section of society loves it and allows such stupid behaviour, the bloke needs locking up what next he's thinking he's the new messiah or something, then what?

One day I think we will all be born 'neutral'...can marry who we like..dress how we like..etc..male/female wont exist..maybe not in my life time but ive always thought the day will come..

human race won`t be here long if we`re all born neutral...I like the fact that we`re all a bit different...I celebrate being a man....not perfect but,i have my uses..

You can still have reproductive organs but not identify with either gender

QUOTE=cheswick;1936482557]human race won`t be here long if we`re all born neutral...I like the fact that we`re all a bit different...I celebrate being a man....not perfect but,i have my uses..

You can still have reproductive organs but not identify with either gender

Would you allow someone to not identify with being a human(*). Or allow them to claim they were a child even if they were over 18? What elements of our physical and social makeup are we allowed to opt out of.

(* and by doing so, would they forfeit their human rights.....?)

That'll probably happen too lol

Would you allow someone to not identify with being a human(*). Or allow them to claim they were a child even if they were over 18? What elements of our physical and social makeup are we allowed to opt out of.

(* and by doing so, would they forfeit their human rights.....?)

One day I think we will all be born 'neutral'...can marry who we like..dress how we like..etc..male/female wont exist..maybe not in my life time but ive always thought the day will come..

No we won't one day all be born neutral. Other than for some very rare exceptions, we will continue to be born either male or female, just as humans always have been. It is a physical fact, nothing to do with choice or personal preference or "what we identify with" or anything else. To suggest otherwise is a load of codswallop and what a complete waste of time this has been. Have some people not got anything useful to do?

Thats your opinion rupert..mines is that one day our gender will not matter..yes we may still be born wth physical characteristics different from each other but they will not indicate which partner we should have...which job..which clothes. .there will be no gender expectations..we will not refer to ppl as male or female..just people...i may be wrong but my opinion is no more 'codswallop' or 'a waste of time' than yours, thanks

Thats your opinion rupert..mines is that one day our gender will not matter..yes we may still be born wth physical characteristics different from each other but they will not indicate which partner we should have...which job..which clothes. .there will be no gender expectations..we will not refer to ppl as male or female..just people...i may be wrong but my opinion is no more 'codswallop' or 'a waste of time' than yours, thanks

I have not debated whether gender matters or should matter or not.

I have stated that there are two genders and that there will continue to be two genders. Gender is here to stay and yes it is a silly waste of time debating whether there are two or three genders or no genders at all. If somebody is worried they are not being treated fairly or cannot wear the clothes they want because of their gender, then why not tackle that particular matter, not engage is this ridiculous dialogue around whether gender exists. With so many real problems in the world, it is insulting that time has been spent on this.

And I don't have an opinion on whether there are two genders or not, I don't need opinions on very simple facts of life. If I said this grass is green and you said no it is blue with pink stripes and yellow spots, your righteous protestations that you are entitled to have an opinion on what colour the grass is, would be equally absurd and does not change facts.

Grief, I cannot believe I am engaged in such lunatic discussions.

:laugh:

I cant believe it either

I have not debated whether gender matters or should matter or not.

I have stated that there are two genders and that there will continue to be two genders. Gender is here to stay and yes it is a silly waste of time debating whether there are two or three genders or no genders at all. If somebody is worried they are not being treated fairly or cannot wear the clothes they want because of their gender, then why not tackle that particular matter, not engage is this ridiculous dialogue around whether gender exists. With so many real problems in the world, it is insulting that time has been spent on this.

And I don't have an opinion on whether there are two genders or not, I don't need opinions on very simple facts of life. If I said this grass is green and you said no it is blue with pink stripes and yellow spots, your righteous protestations that you are entitled to have an opinion on what colour the grass is, would be equally absurd and does not change facts.

Grief, I cannot believe I am engaged in such lunatic discussions.

:laugh:

Archived