Kids' bank accounts

paulhug

Hi there

I wondered if it would be possible to open a bank/ building socoety account for the kids before we get to Oz? They both have building soc. accounts over here, and I didn't want their savings to get swallowed up in our account. Which is the best way to do it? Any suggestions, please?

Guest HelenaBooth

Hello!

I am sorry I cant help you but I am interested in this post. Id like to set up some sort of current and maybe a savings account before we go but I dont wanna be charged the earth for it.

I am 22 and my husband is 23, and We will be going with nothing but a smile really (spouse visa)

Where are you going to and when?

We wanna go Brisbane by the end of the year I hope

Sorry I cant help but Id like to hear the answers.

Have a great day.

Guest HelenaBooth
Hi Helena

We're moving to Queensland in July. On 4 year temp visa, sadly. Wish it was permanent, but we were considered too old... over the hill at 45....

Just noticed links at top of page. How thick am I? : )

Too old at 45!? :-) madness, what do you do? how does a 4 year temp visa work? I know that sounds daft, but do you just go.... change everything to have to come back the UK? or after the 4 years are you allowed to stay?

xx

Not sure how it all works. I'm a primary school teacher and Paul is a property developer, none of which Qld really want. So we've got in on a business visa, which means we have to buy or start a business and employ an Australian for 40 hours a week. We have 4 years to prove ourselves. If we fail....

BUT if we do it then it's another excuse for a party.

I think that's how it works anyway.

Guest The "Biscuits"

I too am interested in this we have a savings account in uk (for our daughter) which pays a good interest rate. Was thinking of leaving it here but not sure if we would then be liable for tax on it, with her being only 11 - it's not as if it's going to get used for the next 7 years.

advise appreciated

Hi there

I wondered if it would be possible to open a bank/ building socoety account for the kids before we get to Oz? They both have building soc. accounts over here, and I didn't want their savings to get swallowed up in our account. Which is the best way to do it? Any suggestions, please?

Hi We opened my daughter a account with anz when we arrived in oz - she received a plastic pig ( no not a reliant robin !!!) with a hat & sunnies on - whooopeeeee,

i guess alot depends on the childrens age there is a link for west pac from the section for migrants Westpac Internet -Under 21

now i know adult accounts for westpac can be opened on line so this one might be abel too.

here is a link for anz (which you may have to do in oz)

Bank Accounts for Children or Under 18s

you can actually design your own card which is great too for a one off fee of $15

hope this helps a little

cheers

gizmo

Archived