Cover letter needed or not?

dejani

Hi.

I'm actively searching for a job as IT Project Manager in Brisbane and Gold Coast.

My CV Looks good and I have cover all the parts that I should cover.

But my big question is if it is necessary to write a cover letter on not?

And how much weight does employer put on reading a cover letter?

Thanks. :ssign2:

Of course. It is only polite to include a cover letter. If I just got a random cv in the post I wouldn't think much of the applicants communication skills. It doesn't have to be much, just explaining that you are looking for a job and have attached a copy of your cv, would appreciate them letting you know if anything becomes available bla bla bla.

It is necessary here and you should do it, make sure you address the person specific they ask for it could just swing it for you good luck

Definitely include a cover letter, it's the polite thing to do and makes it clear which job you are applying for (don't forget, companies may be recruiting for numerous different roles). When I've been involved in recruitment, the cover letter is the first thing read and to be honest in situations where there have been a large volume of CV's for one role, one of the rejection criteria has been either a poor cover letter or no cover letter at all, that's before even looking at the CV. Companies won't necessarily read through every single CV for jobs which are high in demand so your cover letter is vitally important, think of it as your introduction.

I did ask an agency recruiter if she liked a cover letter and she said 'no.' Just one more thing to sift through, in a mountain of documents.

I can understand that for an agency as they're the middle men however if I was applying to an employer directly, I'd definitely say a cover letter is needed

When we recruit, we like to feel special, so including a cover letter that shows you know about the company, what it does and outline why you would like to work for us. Generic ones like "dear sir/madam, I would like to work for YOUR company, Your company is the best..." gets us offside - if you can't be bothered actually finding out what the company is called then it's not a good look.

When it comes to actual recruitment agencies it's a waste of time though, all they do is edit your CV and send it around with their own cover letter which tends to go along the lines of "would you consider recruiting this person even though you're not advertising..?"

(Always ask if the job the agency is advertising actually exists. They waste a lot of people's time and get hopes up. For every person we actually get through an agency they will send about ten more CVs on the off chance there's something else going)

Now you scare me a little bi Eera. So how many positions out there are really a position and not an agent?

When we recruit, we like to feel special, so including a cover letter that shows you know about the company, what it does and outline why you would like to work for us. Generic ones like "dear sir/madam, I would like to work for YOUR company, Your company is the best..." gets us offside - if you can't be bothered actually finding out what the company is called then it's not a good look.

When it comes to actual recruitment agencies it's a waste of time though, all they do is edit your CV and send it around with their own cover letter which tends to go along the lines of "would you consider recruiting this person even though you're not advertising..?"

(Always ask if the job the agency is advertising actually exists. They waste a lot of people's time and get hopes up. For every person we actually get through an agency they will send about ten more CVs on the off chance there's something else going)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived