RRV subclass 155 help

njpd875prv

Hi if there is anyone in the know about resident return visa I would appreciate any help you can give me. I was granted a 1 year resident return visa today, I am in Aus at the moment and have been for the last 1.5 years on a working holiday visa.

With my new visa what happens after the year is up? Do I need to apply for another one when this ones up? The wording isn't the clearest because on one hand the visa says its 1 year on the other it say I can stay indefinitely.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Nick

Both are right.

Because you have a permanent visa of some kind, you can stay indefinitely if you're in Australia. What expires after 1 year on your RRV is your eligibility to re-enter Australia from overseas. If you leave Australia and want to re-enter the country after the RRV expires, you will need a new RRV.

Ahh ok that makes more sense now thanks Oz, so what would be the next step other than citizenship as that wont be available for another 4 years. Rammygirl I had PR 14 year ago when I moved over with my family but I lost it when I went back to the uk, take it your from Ramsbottom then lol

Ahh ok that makes more sense now thanks Oz, so what would be the next step other than citizenship as that wont be available for another 4 years. Rammygirl I had PR 14 year ago when I moved over with my family but I lost it when I went back to the uk, take it your from Ramsbottom then lol

You either move to (or stay in) Australia and then apply for citizenship when you meet the residence requirements (or stay here for 2 years and then get a 5 year RRV) or you stay overseas for 'n' years and take your chances on being able to get another RRV. Sounds like you were pretty lucky to get a RRV if you've been away for a long time so don't count on being able to get another one if you don't actually start living here. Eligibility for RRVs is pretty flexible, but you can't stretch the eligibility indefinitely.

ok thanks for that I have no plans to leave other than short holiday's, just want to make sure I wont loose my visa when going away for a couple of weeks, as soon as I can I will get my citizenship.. I have pretty much all of my family here that's why I was accepted (5 brothers and sisters) and I left on my own as a minor and that why my visa expired.

Yup down where the wild garlic grows!

lucky the WHV didn't cancel chances of re gaining PR, nice to know they do look at individual circumstances and family.

Nice to hear a happy ending so to speak it isn't always so easy.

Yes, I'm actually surprised the OP was able to get an RRV. I would have thought the WHV would have cancelled the original visa.

• 3 weeks later...

How long does it take to process an RRV application? In a straight forward case I mean i.e. someone in Australia with PR. Anyone with recent experience of applying?
Applied on a Friday afternoon, granted Monday morning, pretty quick considering the weekend was inbetween!

Applied on a Friday afternoon, granted Monday morning, pretty quick considering the weekend was inbetween!

That's excellent news. We're not eligible to apply for a 5 year RRV until August but my wife want's to travel in September. I wasn't sure if it was going to be possible. Thanks.

Archived