Nurses Pay Deals: Here and There

HappyHeart

http://news.sky.com/story/1225231/anger-as-thousands-of-nurses-denied-1-percent-rise

I can barely believe the current state of affairs for nurses working in the UK. 4 years of pay freezes and below inflation pay awards...1%???? What use is that (if you're lucky enough to get it)

How on earth can government justify this dreadful situation while giving themselves big fat pay rises every year!! Criminal.

Here nurses get their incremental rise based on length of service/experience just like police and teachers and many other professions and their yearly inflation linked rise which after a bit of negotiation usually comes in at well over 4%

http://anmf.org.au/news/entry/wa-nurses-vote-in-favour-of-governments-14-per-cent-pay-offer

Just one reason I could never work for the NHS again....makes my blood boil and feel for my colleagues back in the UK struggling to make ends meet and keep morale high....the government is crucifying them...:no:

Guest Guest 47403

My wife walks in from a 12 hr shift absolutely knackered, I sometimes take the p!ss when she says she really hasn't stopped all day. However a couple of weeks ago she didn't get a chance all day to make a quick phone call to see how I was getting on with the estate agents after receiving and declining an offer on the house, she often walks in with a head ache as she hasn't drank much all day.

Don't get me wrong she loves her work and doesn't whinge about it as she is committed to her job, but the lack of acknowledgement for the hard work she does by a below inflation pay rise is all the proof she needs the NHS isn't the place to be anymore.

Guest Guest66881

Deb did the NHS for nine years before we moved here, our eldest works at QE she loves her job worked hard to get it as do all nurses, she just about manages on her income we still send her money parcels from time to time.

My wife walks in from a 12 hr shift absolutely knackered, I sometimes take the p!ss when she says she really hasn't stopped all day. However a couple of weeks ago she didn't get a chance all day to make a quick phone call to see how I was getting on with the estate agents after receiving and declining an offer on the house, she often walks in with a head ache as she hasn't drank much all day.

Don't get me wrong she loves her work and doesn't whinge about it as she is committed to her job, but the lack of acknowledgement for the hard work she does by a below inflation pay rise is all the proof she needs the NHS isn't the place to be anymore.

that's commonplace in nursing Baz, here and there...I often come in without having had a lunch break/stopped between patients...same in UK on wards...but at least I get a decent wage here...softens the blow a bit...

The love of the job and nature/personality of most nurses is what keep them 'in their place' and overworked/underpaid by the government. Majority of nurses go the 'extra mile' on a daily basis...covering for low staffing levels because if they don't...human beings suffer...and the government treats us like we are nothing...

Guest Guest66881

I can remember Deb saying to me she was looking after upto 16 patience a night, with 2 other nurses on and still not enough time for a drink most nights, and the days could be worse at times especially when they come up from theatre or emergency push ins or just thrown their way because they might have a spare bed going?

Our daughter says it is still like that now.

Nurses need to stop moaning though...they allow it..why arent they all walking out..they moan all day but do nothing...nurses are not treated well. .they all know that n still chose to do it..dnt like it then get another job .or move to aus..although I dnt find the wage in aus much better

It's appalling. That, the understaffing, skill mix, abuse from managers and the lack of any support means I would never go back to it. I did a couple of shifts last year while I was considering returning to practice, but that was enough to put me off, along with every single HCP telling me it would be a stupid thing to do. There were two care assistants to look after 18 elderly patients, most with mobility problems, some with dementia, all with high care needs, most needed help with meals. It was impossible to give the level of care they deserved or what we wanted to give. The one registered nurse only had time to do the dr's round, paperwork and spent most of her time on the phone trying to find social care/nursing home beds for the patients who were ready medically to move on.

It's not just nurses though, it's at every level. My daughter's boyfriend's dad is a GP and he's selling up and getting out. Another GP friend has said that although she really proud to be a dr, she has never felt so depressed at not being able to do her job properly and is seriously considering a new career.

My oh was at a meeting last night until 8pm re cuts and staffing and it's only going to get worse. If what's proposed goes ahead he says he'll no longer be able to provide a safe service and, rather than be at the end of a court case in the future, he'll have no choice but to leave. It's very sad.

They can walk out but they wont walk as ppl matter more to them than money...and no one would support them in it..no one cares abt nurses..accept it and get on wth the job u love or leave. ..alot of wrkers treated much much worse

It's appalling. That, the understaffing, skill mix, abuse from managers and the lack of any support means I would never go back to it. I did a couple of shifts last year while I was considering returning to practice, but that was enough to put me off, along with every single HCP telling me it would be a stupid thing to do. There were two care assistants to look after 18 elderly patients, most with mobility problems, some with dementia, all with high care needs, most needed help with meals. It was impossible to give the level of care they deserved or what we wanted to give. The one registered nurse only had time to do the dr's round, paperwork and spent most of her time on the phone trying to find social care/nursing home beds for the patients who were ready medically to move on.

It's not just nurses though, it's at every level. My daughter's boyfriend's dad is a GP and he's selling up and getting out. Another GP friend has said that although she really proud to be a dr, she has never felt so depressed at not being able to do her job properly and is seriously considering a new career.

My oh was at a meeting last night until 8pm re cuts and staffing and it's only going to get worse. If what's proposed goes ahead he says he'll no longer be able to provide a safe service and, rather than be at the end of a court case in the future, he'll have no choice but to leave. It's very sad.

Spot on Caramac...complacency isn't the way forward...if the UK and Australia to an extent values the Health Service its in everyones interests to take an interest and support nurses (and GPs)

Nurses need to stop moaning though...they allow it..why arent they all walking out..they moan all day but do nothing...nurses are not treated well. .they all know that n still chose to do it..dnt like it then get another job .or move to aus..although I dnt find the wage in aus much better

When I first started nursing I joined the RCN because it had a no strike policy, I still won't (personally) feel comfortable walking off the job and putting lives at risk. For me knowing it's poorly paid, poor hours shows my (and others) dedication. I might not like how nurses are treated but I do (after 30 years) still enjoy the work I do with a passion

They can walk out but they wont walk as ppl matter more to them than money...and no one would support them in it..no one cares abt nurses..accept it and get on wth the job u love or leave. ..alot of wrkers treated much much worse

I understand what you mean, but how many people, all trained at the expense of the taxpayer, most with years of experience, are you prepared to lose? How much are you prepared to put patient safety (and your professional standing) at risk?

We can't train people fast enough and we can't afford to lose the expertise these people have.

Nurses can and do 'strike'. When any public servant strikes there is a back up plan....services do suffer..undoubtably...but to what extent do services suffer in the face of inadequate staffing levels??? We strike because we dont want people to suffer....short term pain..long term gain...retention is as important as recruitement imo

I don't think nurses would ask for much, in fact they are happy doing there jobs for what they earn, however a couple of percent pay rise in life with other jobs would have just been respectful for they do on a daily basis. At the end of the day, UK nurses are not getting pay rises but the average cost of a home is over £200k. I know if I were to stay in the UK the nurses salary would not allow my husband and I to live in a reasonable home. Our current property which we are renting is far too small for a family of 5 and it would cost £190k to buy. If me and my husband earnt the £21k nurses salary (which we don't) we still couldn't afford to buy this house. There is no logic in the salary. Surely a nurse should earn enough to provide her own family with a level of comfort.

Shouldnt domestic staff...support wrkers..catering dept..laundry services be able to provide for their family too..they start on less than 14000 and wrk very hard wth even less thanks than nurses..least nurses get the odd box of chocs!

Shouldnt domestic staff...support wrkers..catering dept..laundry services be able to provide for their family too..they start on less than 14000 and wrk very hard wth even less thanks than nurses..least nurses get the odd box of chocs!

Chocs don't pay the bills! I agree all staff should be paid according to effort/experience and responsibility. A fair wage for all jobs. We don't educate ourselves..(often a lengthy process at our own expense) to be highly skilled professionals so we can do it out of the goodness of our hearts...different debate

I feel like nurses arent seen as professionals though sometimes...especially round these discussions. .more 'good souls' and kind ppl with big hearts that perhaps should be pitied!...no, nurses have a strong skill set that needs to be respected and be the focus. ..nurses are a bit of a joke I feel despite our increasing responsibilities and education

Of course they should! Everyone should earn enough to provide for their families without needing to claim tax credits and other benefits which must be costly to administrate.

The number of vacancies that were once jobs but are now 'apprenticeships' on a wage of £100 a week on the NHS jobs website is increasing all the time. I have no idea why a receptionist/admin assistant needs a year long apprenticeship - every single one I've ever worked with seems to have been intelligent and organised enough to do the job pretty quickly after starting in post!

There is a colossal waste of money in the health service, but that should be tackled where it's happening, not using it as an excuse withhold the tiny pay rises nurses and other workers deserve.

I was thinking more of this. ..."For me knowing it's poorly paid, poor hours shows my (and others) dedication"...but also not striking or taking some other stand. ..nurses to me appear meek, mild and vulnerable..easy targets

Archived