Going over with Aussie husband, applying for a subclass 100 visa. Any experience or advice?

cupfullofjoy

Husband is Australian and has been over here for over ten years, we've been married 7 years, together longer, have two children. We're looking to move over there and I know I'd need to apply for the partner visa, subclass 100 I think.

Is it reasonable to do this ourselves or do you really need to have an immigration agent help you?

Is there an 'idiots guide to visa application' somewhere that will talk me through it? I have a million questions, it seems very scary and daunting at the moment.

Thanks.

I have read quite a few posts from people who 'go it alone' without an agent. Me personally, I think I'd use one but it depends how confident you are and how complicated your case I guess.

Post some of your other questions, I'm sure there will be lots of people who can offer advice. :-)

Good luck.

Just ensure your hubby has UK citizenship before you go or at least keeps his right to return active (read up on how long his right to live in the UK will last once you leave). I say this as should you want to return to live in the UK it may otherwise be very difficult with the new spouse sponsor laws/regs.

Partner visa is pretty straightforward so long as no health or police check concerns. Most apply themsves. I did. Lots of info on it all on here too :)

Drop me a PM if you've any questions. I shall try to remember to post a reply with info for you later.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Feel more confident to do it without an agent now, glad I can save the cash.

I think it should be pretty straight forward, husband has his UK citizenship already and the children have UK passports and their Australian citizenship certificates. Need to get them their Aussie passports but will have to go down to London to lodge them, Husband needs his renewed too so can go and do them all together.

I don't anticipate any health concerns at a medical, I've never had a run in with the police so not worried about that either. Just not entirely sure where to start!!

Start with downloading and reading the partner visa PDF. Print it off, make notes, cross out all the bits that don't apply to you (the PMV stuff for example). Get hubby to read it also.

Start compiling your evidence. Proof for a timeframe, we covered since we lived together so about 8 years all up. Though only the most recent couple in more detail.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Feel more confident to do it without an agent now, glad I can save the cash.

I think it should be pretty straight forward, husband has his UK citizenship already and the children have UK passports and their Australian citizenship certificates. Need to get them their Aussie passports but will have to go down to London to lodge them, Husband needs his renewed too so can go and do them all together.

I don't anticipate any health concerns at a medical, I've never had a run in with the police so not worried about that either. Just not entirely sure where to start!!

Mine was a long time ago now and you had to have an interview - they asked my husband lots of questions but the only one I can recall that they asked me was "have you ever been in an institution for the criminally insane?" (Now that's not a good question for a psychologist!).

Itll all be fine, just start with your name and address on the form, the rest will follow!

"Itll all be fine, just start with your name and address on the form, the rest will follow!"

Thats so funny! You;re right, I just need to start at the beginning and take it from there, but its very scary!!

I told my Dad last night that we are thinking about the possibility of going and he was devastated. ​Putting my name and address on the form seems a really hard thing to do just now!

"Itll all be fine, just start with your name and address on the form, the rest will follow!"

Thats so funny! You;re right, I just need to start at the beginning and take it from there, but its very scary!!

I told my Dad last night that we are thinking about the possibility of going and he was devastated. ​Putting my name and address on the form seems a really hard thing to do just now!

Yup, devastation of those you will leave behind is part and parcel of it. You might also like to trawl through threads on mixed marriages especially where kids are involved!

Hi,

I applied for subclass 100 visa Nov 2013, didn't use agent, it is relatively straightforward but time consuming collecting all evidence!

I In similar situation as married 6 years with 2 children who both have Australian passports. We are hoping to move to Brisbane in June 2014.

Good luck!

Just ensure your hubby has UK citizenship before you go or at least keeps his right to return active (read up on how long his right to live in the UK will last once you leave). I say this as should you want to return to live in the UK it may otherwise be very difficult with the new spouse sponsor laws/regs.

Just wanted to say a MASSIVE thank you to you for posting this! We are awaiting my Partner Visa as I'm a Brit, hubby is Australian but has been here for 22yrs. After reading your post we are now applying for his UK Citizenship before we go as he didn't have it only had PR which after two years away from the UK he loses. We were going to book our flights to go in May just this weekend so had I not have read your post we wouldn't have known! We are in a panic now tho as I'm worried that they may track my Partner Visa application and discover that we are emigrating. Do you think this would affect my husbands UK Citizenship application if they found this out. Can they even find this out I wonder?!?! Sally

Husband is Australian and has been over here for over ten years, we've been married 7 years, together longer, have two children. We're looking to move over there and I know I'd need to apply for the partner visa, subclass 100 I think.

Is it reasonable to do this ourselves or do you really need to have an immigration agent help you?

Is there an 'idiots guide to visa application' somewhere that will talk me through it? I have a million questions, it seems very scary and daunting at the moment.

Thanks.

We are in the process, it hasn't been that hard at all, lots of paperwork to begin with but once that's sent off it's just waiting! Got medicals sorted without a hassle and police check was easy! Good Luck with it all!! Where do you plan to settle?

Archived