Nicest Town In Australia

Lambethlad

I've just returned from my first visit to Port Douglas. I was very impressed. What a great town. Lush and green, no flies or mosquitoes, beautiful, well-kept properties, no graffiti, no bogans. After one week I didn't want to leave. It's not a party town - everything seems to be closed by midnight so it is popular with the over 50s. Many of the shops and restaurants in Mocrossan Street had staff wanted signs in the windows - so it would be a good place for Brit backpackers to head to get work. Every pub and restaurant in town seemed to be staffed by young Brits and Irish. Anyway, now I know where I want to retire - its got my vote for Australia's nicest town.

Four Mile Beach was actually a bit of a let down. It was completely covered in coral debris, seaweed and other washed up vegetation and was a bit smelly. You can't actually swim there because of stingers, they have a netted section but it's no guarantee against stingers. A lifeguard told me the stingers disappear in winter when the water temperature drops.

Four Mile Beach was actually a bit of a let down. It was completely covered in coral debris, seaweed and other washed up vegetation and was a bit smelly. You can't actually swim there because of stingers, they have a netted section but it's no guarantee against stingers. A lifeguard told me the stingers disappear in winter when the water temperature drops.

The picture I put up was taken in winter and the water temp was still fine for swimming (but I swim in all temps so it probably wouldn't bother me regardless).

Port Douglas was my favourite place ever - got married on the beach there! Not my favourite place cos I got married there - got married there cos it was my favourite place! However now must admit have fallen in love with Fremantle WA - No I am not fickle still love Port but love Freo also

My favourite place was Margaret River, WA.

I didn't get to see much of Australia beyond the capital cities and places within a days drive of Perth though.

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes I love PD but then I am bias. Just the drive up is fantastic.

I don't have any photos on my iPad so you will have to make do with this

port-douglas-beach-large.jpg

Re stinger season it runs from November to May if it gets bad they close the beaches. During stinger season we have nets out that we can swim in, or locals just have the stinger suits and go in all year round.

Property hasn't moved one way or the other for the last 3 years, it is at rock bottom although they are saying it is picking up and I'm sure if the new AQUIS development gets the green light the property market will be booming.

Yes I love PD but then I am bias. Just the drive up is fantastic.

I don't have any photos on my iPad so you will have to make do with this

port-douglas-beach-large.jpg

Re stinger season it runs from November to May if it gets bad they close the beaches. During stinger season we have nets out that we can swim in, or locals just have the stinger suits and go in all year round.

Property hasn't moved one way or the other for the last 3 years, it is at rock bottom although they are saying it is picking up and I'm sure if the new AQUIS development gets the green light the property market will be booming.

Lovely pic. Everywhere I looked there was scenery like that. Of course everyone back here wanted to see pics of what I was raving about but silly me didn't take a camera.

Archived