on shore de facto visa application

bessiedoll

Well, after 16 months, 2 medicals, 2 police checks, lots of stress and lots of money, my visa has finally been approved

i dont think i have ever been so happy in my entire life

:jiggy::biggrin::jiggy::biggrin::jiggy::biggrin:

would be interested to see how long it took other people, or how long it has taken so far?

Just wondered because in another forum the OP says agents were a waste of money.... Perhaps not after all!

It's common sense not to do medical and police check until requested as they are only valid for a year. Given on shore currently runs at 13 months plus, doing them when applying means a good chance they will run out before visa grant. Don't need an agent to work that one out.

Yes agents can be great but honestly, a bit of reading and common sense goes a long way too.

I provided PCC in a week after app lodge and medicine in 3 weeks. I could not predict or imagine that CO sends my app to long external agencies checks because both are without troubles. Russian citizens mostly avoid security checks in spite of Russia is high risk country. I lodged visa app long time before Ukrainian rebelion and Russian Army invasion in Crimea.

Obviously, I will have to order another PCC and have new medical examination.

Which is why you should wait to be asked to do them. And out of interest, why should Russian citizens be exempt from PCC checks?

Australian government requests them from everyone who applies for migration.

Congratulations on your visa grant bessiedoll! It must be a huge relief.

When I applied for mine processing times were 6-9 months and DIAC asked applicants to submit police checks and medicals at time of application. After 9 months, processing times had jumped to 9-12 months, and my visa was finally processed after 13 months - luckily my case officer could extend the validity of my medical but I had to do another police check. So it's worth bearing in mind that just because someone has had to do 2 police checks and medicals, doesn't necessarily mean they didn't read the information correctly in the first place!

2 medicals & police checks? Was there a particular reason? And was there a reason why there was lots of stress, or just the usual visa application pressure!?

stress was just the usual visa process, and the processing time being changed 3 times whilst mine was in progress. and 2 medicals and police checks because the first ones expired before the visa was processed. :(

It's common sense not to do medical and police check until requested as they are only valid for a year. Given on shore currently runs at 13 months plus, doing them when applying means a good chance they will run out before visa grant. Don't need an agent to work that one out.

Yes agents can be great but honestly, a bit of reading and common sense goes a long way too.

when i submitted my application, the processing time was 6-9 months and in the migration hand book it said "If possible, you should visit Medibank Health Solutions for your medical examinations before you lodge your Partner visa application. If you live in a regional area, contact a Medibank Health Solutions office to find out details of an approved doctor. For more information on Medibank Health Solutions, go to http://www.medibankhealth.com.auYour local office of the department will provide you with forms and further instructions"

this was also advised to me by an agent. as i have some common sense, i decided to do it myself.

Hi,

Did you get a bridging visa when you applied to allow you to stay? I'm here on a working holiday visa, but my partner has permanent residency, so I would apply at the end of my 12 months, but can I stay whilst they decide?

Also would you know if I need to have been in a defacto relationship for 12 months in Australia, or would any time outside of Australia count towards that?

TIA!

Hi,

Did you get a bridging visa when you applied to allow you to stay? I'm here on a working holiday visa, but my partner has permanent residency, so I would apply at the end of my 12 months, but can I stay whilst they decide?

Also would you know if I need to have been in a defacto relationship for 12 months in Australia, or would any time outside of Australia count towards that?

TIA!

Hi, yes i got a bridging visa when my working holiday visa expired. it automatically changed when the Working Holiday Visa expired because i had submitted the other application. apply before the end of the 12 months, otherwise they will not grant a bridging visa, it only applies if you have another application in progress when the current visa expires.

our relationship was only 9 months in Australia by the time we applied, but 2 years in total. We registered our relationship though, and that waived the 12 month requirement. if that is available in your state i would look into that just to be sure.

here is some information from the booklet about it.

12-month relationship requirement for de facto partners

About the 12-month relationship requirement for de facto partners

To be eligible for a Partner visa on the basis of a de facto relationship at the time you apply, you and your

partner must be aged 18 years or over and:

• have been in the relationship for at least the entire 12 months before the date you lodged your

Partner visa application; or

• meet one of the provisions set out below.

Note: Periods of ‘dating’ do not count towards the 12-month relationship requirement.

For detailed information on eligibility requirements for a Partner visa on the ground of being in a de facto

relationship, see page 35.

Waiver of the 12-month relationship requirement

The 12-month relationship requirement at time of application lodgement does not apply if:

• you can establish that there are compelling and compassionate circumstances for the grant of the

visa, such as you have children with your partner or cohabitation was not permissible under the law

of the country where you resided for the 12 months before you applied;

• your partner is, or was, the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa, and before that permanent

humanitarian visa was granted, you were in a relationship with your partner that satisfies the

requirements of a de facto relationship according to the Migration Regulations, and the department

was informed of this before the permanent humanitarian visa was granted; or

at the time of application for the visa the de facto relationship was registered under a law of a state

or territory prescribed in the Acts Interpretation (Registered Relationship) Regulations 2008 as a

kind of relationship prescribed in those regulations. Relationship registration is not available in all

Australian states or territories and eligibility for registration also differs depending on the state or

territory. Prospective applicants considering registration of their relationship should check with the

relevant state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages agency for further information.

If you feel that there are compelling and compassionate circumstances that may mean the 12-month

requirement does not apply, you should provide a statement with your application that outlines and

explains the reasons for your request.

For further information on the 12-month relationship requirement, see Fact sheet 35 One-Year

Relationship Requirement, which is available from the department’s website

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/, from your nearest office of the department or Australian mission

hope this helps

xx

Thank you for your reply :)

unfortunately it doesn't look like i can register the relationship as victoria like you to have lived here for the past 12 months, which i haven't and neither has he as he originally lived in Adelaide and we have only been here for 6 weeks, but were living together in England for 6 months before that (he came back to the uk for a while) and now i have come over with him, so we will have been together for 12 months before my visa ends, but do you know if the 6 months in England would count?

Thanks again! Xx

Thank you for your reply :)

unfortunately it doesn't look like i can register the relationship as victoria like you to have lived here for the past 12 months, which i haven't and neither has he as he originally lived in Adelaide and we have only been here for 6 weeks, but were living together in England for 6 months before that (he came back to the uk for a while) and now i have come over with him, so we will have been together for 12 months before my visa ends, but do you know if the 6 months in England would count?

Thanks again! Xx

Yes, the time in England will count so you will need to provide evidence (lease agreement in both names, bills to the same address, etc.) similar to what you need to provide for your time together in Australia. Any times of separation (e.g. if he came over ahead of you) should be explained and say how you maintained your relationship (kept in contact, maintained financial support, etc.) during your separation.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

TIA!

You get a bridging visa as soon as your working holiday visa runs out. You can enroll on medicare and work on the bridging visa.

apply 3 weeks to a month before the end of your working holiday ONLY IF you have registered your relationship. You can only do this in certain states. I am in NSW and have a similar situation to you. :)

I applied for my Partner Visa (as a De Facto) a week ago. Too early for anything to happen but I know it will :biggrin: I was granted Bridging Visa A but it doesn't become valid till my current 12 month Tourist Visa expires in August. I was interested to read about the Police Check having to be re done as mine was done last year for the Tourist Visa. I have spent most of the time since it was issued here in Aus. My question is will I need an AFP check when I have been here a year as well as my PC having to be re done?

I haven't bothered with a medical as they say on their site not to as they only last a year and it's going to take 15 months to give a decision. I am kinda hoping they speed themselves up but am not holding my breath :laugh:

Sarah

I applied for my Partner Visa (as a De Facto) a week ago. Too early for anything to happen but I know it will :biggrin: I was granted Bridging Visa A but it doesn't become valid till my current 12 month Tourist Visa expires in August. I was interested to read about the Police Check having to be re done as mine was done last year for the Tourist Visa. I have spent most of the time since it was issued here in Aus. My question is will I need an AFP check when I have been here a year as well as my PC having to be re done?

I haven't bothered with a medical as they say on their site not to as they only last a year and it's going to take 15 months to give a decision. I am kinda hoping they speed themselves up but am not holding my breath :laugh:

Sarah

you will need checks for any country where you have spent more than 12 months in the past 10 years. And if your UK Police Check is over 12 months old when requested you will need another of those too

you will need checks for any country where you have spent more than 12 months in the past 10 years. And if your UK Police Check is over 12 months old when requested you will need another of those too

Well I will wait till they ask me to get another.. I sent the police check already as I had it but when I get a case officer I am sure they will send me instructions what to submit and when.

Thanks for the reply

Sarah

Well I will wait till they ask me to get another.. I sent the police check already as I had it but when I get a case officer I am sure they will send me instructions what to submit and when.

Thanks for the reply

Sarah

yes definitely wait so that they don't go out of date, particularly given the processing time. As long as its just the AFP & UK police, they usually do it within 2 weeks or so

yes definitely wait so that they don't go out of date, particularly given the processing time. As long as its just the AFP & UK police, they usually do it within 2 weeks or so

Yes just them two will be needed as I usually only visit countries not move to them :rolleyes:

Archived