Returning to UK: Kent vs Essex

clarabella1987

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for suggestions for places to live in Essex/Kent.

I moved to Australia with my family when I was 18 and 8 years later we are returning to the UK. I am returning with my Australian husband. We are thinking of living in Kent or Essex. Ideally we would like a nice village/market town near the seaside if possible (to keep my father happy) and close to London (30-45 minutes away). We are planning on starting a family in the next few years so an area with good primary schools would be nice. We are looking at spending about £160,000 (although this can be stretched to £200,000 plus) as this will be our first home. Does anybody know of any nice places fitting this description?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Clara

Umm no, I didn't think there were any seaside towns within 30 - 45 minutes of London. Also I would recommend you check some UK property sites to get a better idea of housing costs, is heading north an option?

Edited by Rupert

Hi Diane,

No I am unaware of the changes for the new immigration rules into the UK. I will look into this asap. I spoke with an migration service company (1st contact Australia) last year and was told it would be easier for my husband to obtain an ancestral visa as apposed to a spousal visa. I was advised to start the process about 3-6 months before we anticipate leaving.

Hi Rupert,

Thank you for your quick reply. No the North is not an option. We need to be close to London for my husband's work (I'll be studying there as well). A place near the sea is not a requirement. I'm just looking for some suggestions for nice areas (and also areas to avoid).

Well your budget is very limiting for SE England close to London. Are you hoping for a house? I think you just need to do some vague searches on property sites, to get a better measure of the place and typical house prices.

I realize my budget is quite small (we wish to have a small mortgage). We were hoping for a small house. I have searched on property sites and as such have a vague idea, but am just looking for suggestions of areas to live in Kent/Essex (and in particular areas to avoid).

Thanks for your help,

Clara

Expensive areas to be looking in might have to settle for a flat.

Has your husband got a British Grandparent or parent? Might be the way to go.

Also depends when people were born there are cut off parts to getting a British Passports, my children born in 78 nad 80 were find they have British Passports and we got them when they were quite young. Things have changed over the years but if you look at the passport applications it gives information in the notes. That is provided your oh is eligible for one

Rather than focus on buying initially, start by looking to rent and build your foundations. Without kids I would make the most of a small flat (saving up for your initial house rather than rooms not being used).

Have you thought about due north of London and catching train down? or due south i.e. Crawley/Brighton. Guess it depends on part of London you are commuting to.

Hi Sustain,

Thank you for your advice. We have been saving for the last few years and are now at the stage of buying a house. Our plan is to buy a small house (or flat) and pay it off quickly (hence the small budget).

I have not thought of North London though. Thank you I will have a look. I previously lived in Brighton so that could be an option (we lived in a small village near Brighton, which was lovely). However, my parents are relocating to Kent/ Essex and I would like to be near them.

Hi jasepom,

In my mind we are swapping a "comfortable" life in Australia for an exciting life in London. Every one is different.

My husband and I are actually looking to progress our careers to the next stage and have decided on moving to the UK for this reason (as well as many other reasons). This decision has not been made lightly, but Australia is not offering us what we want at the moment. As I said every one is different.

Thanks,

Clara

In my experience an ancestral visa is the easier option if you're eligible as it has none of the income restrictions. That is you as the sponsor for your husband would need to have a job already in place or an offer earning at least 18,000 pounds or 62,000 pounds savings. Go for the ancestor visa if it's an option. We are currently in the process of going down the spouse visa road hard saving required to meet the income/savings requirement as sadly i don't have the ancestor option. Good luck.

Edited by Guest

Hi Chicken66,

Thank you for letting me know that. We should be alright for the ancestral visa and can fall back on the spousal visa if need be. We are planning of starting the process 3-6 months before we leave (as advised by 1st Contact Australia). Are you going through an agency to organise your spouse's visa or have have you gone through the UK Immigration and Visa department directly?

Hi Chicken66,

Thank you for letting me know that. We should be alright for the ancestral visa and can fall back on the spousal visa if need be. We are planning of starting the process 3-6 months before we leave (as advised by 1st Contact Australia). Are you going through an agency to organise your spouse's visa or have have you gone through the UK Immigration and Visa department directly?

We haven't actually started the process yet as we are still working on satisfying the income/ savings requirement however we will be using the same agent as you've been in contact with as they seem to be very helpful. As i understand it the ancestor visa is pretty straight forward. You need to supply birth certificates to show the ancestral line up to the British born relative. In your case that would be your husbands plus his parent who has the British born parent plus the British born grandparents ones. All pretty easy to obtain from birth,deaths and marriages offices in states/counties they were registered in. I'm sure the agent will guide you on this if you use one. I do know someone who did an ancestor visa without an agent and it was fairly easy to do once all paper work was supplied. Agency would probably be easier if you're not confident with these things though. Good luck with it all. We have had a few negative nellys telling tell u we're mad to go but it's what we want to do. My partner is desperate to return really after so long here and i'm up for the adventure.

I know north-west Essex better than south Essex (which would be nearer to Kent). NW Essex is quite rural but further from the coast. Great Dunmow is a pretty market town with lots of character. Avoid Basildon and Harlow, 'new' towns with large council estates. I used to drive through Billericay on the way to work, the High St was nice, Brentwood is nice also but may be expensive. You should be able to get a 2 bed flat or terrace for £160K plus. Burnham on Crouch is a lovely spot with character on the waterfront with a train line to London - worth checking out, also Southminster nearby.

I know north-west Essex better than south Essex (which would be nearer to Kent). NW Essex is quite rural but further from the coast. Great Dunmow is a pretty market town with lots of character. Avoid Basildon and Harlow, 'new' towns with large council estates. I used to drive through Billericay on the way to work, the High St was nice, Brentwood is nice also but may be expensive. You should be able to get a 2 bed flat or terrace for £160K plus. Burnham on Crouch is a lovely spot with character on the waterfront with a train line to London - worth checking out, also Southminster nearby.

Thank you very much! I will have a look at those areas. Really appreciate it!

Dunmow has had a LOT of building going on in the last 8 years. Heaps. It's a shame they aren't building schools and doctors surgeries at the same rate as they are putting up houses. It seems very popular with people moving up from London, just seems that the locals are a little frustrated with local infrastructure or lack thereof.

However, Dunmow has an EXCELLENT Butchers.....which alone would make it worth moving to. That and the Flitch Trials which happen every 4 years :biggrin:

This is only my opinion from living in Essex most of my life.

Bishops Stortford is a market town with good links to London and good schools. Dunmow as already mentioned. If you want to be near the coast maybe somewhere near colchester. Some of braintree is okay and should be within your budget. Also Chelmsford. Epping is a nice town which is in the last zone of the central line for London though prices have shot up in the last few years.

Would avoid Harlow, Basildon, waltham abbey (used to be nice not so much now).

Know nothing about Kent I'm afraid.

Dunmow has had a LOT of building going on in the last 8 years. Heaps. It's a shame they aren't building schools and doctors surgeries at the same rate as they are putting up houses. It seems very popular with people moving up from London, just seems that the locals are a little frustrated with local infrastructure or lack thereof.

However, Dunmow has an EXCELLENT Butchers.....which alone would make it worth moving to. That and the Flitch Trials which happen every 4 years :biggrin:

Haha my dad will be happy about the butchers! Thanks for your help :biggrin: