First stop gold coast?

AnthonyP

I'm going australia on a WHV in January 2015 and I'm thinking to go to the Gold Coast first. What are people's experiences there? And is it easy/hard to find a job there? I work as a barber In london so I would prefer a barbering job but would be up for anything. Thanks!

I like the Gold Coast, but I don't think it is where I would start either. You would meet more people, have more to do and see and have better work opportunities in a larger city, unemployment is high on the GC. I would start in either Sydney or, if it were the right time of year, Cairns.

The Gold Coast is a lovely place, been here 3 weeks so far and from looking there's a lot of job in the telesales area and food/barista area. So if that interests you or you have experience then you should be ok. I just had an interview this morning and got offered the job in a telesales position but didn't know this company were commission based with a very low base pay. Most jobs in this area are commission based but the base was too low for me to warrant accepting the job when I have no experience and it could takes weeks until I start earning any commission. As said from the other guys I would start either at the bottom or top of the east coast and work your along to take it all in. Whatever you choose you'll love it out here.

I love the Gold Coast hinterland - beautiful scenery and walking trails. People say the Gold Coast beaches are great - not a spot on the Sunshine Coast IMHO. I think Gold Coast would be a good place if you had a young family - plenty of theme parks etc.... I don't really get why it's so popular though - especially with the new money brigade who could live anywhere - and Surfers? can't imagine why anyone would go there but each to their own. Someone told me that it's very popular with retirees because of the quality of hospitals and health care providers down there. And the climate I suppose.....

Archived