457 waiting time and permanent residency

Hi, I am currently on a bridging visa which was granted on 19th Dec and waiting for my 457 to be approved. It's been 12 weeks, has anyone else ever waited this long???

Also with regards to permanent residency I read up on the immi website and know I need to work for one employer in the same role for two years before they can nominate me. Does this period on a bridging visa still count toward the two years? And does it matter that this will be my 2nd 457 in this role? (1st one expired Feb), it's still the exact same role. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am currently on a bridging visa which was granted on 19th Dec and waiting for my 457 to be approved. It's been 12 weeks, has anyone else ever waited this long???

Also with regards to permanent residency I read up on the immi website and know I need to work for one employer in the same role for two years before they can nominate me. Does this period on a bridging visa still count toward the two years? And does it matter that this will be my 2nd 457 in this role? (1st one expired Feb), it's still the exact same role. Thanks in advance.

If employer is happy to sponsor you, why not just do a skills assessment and then you don't have to worry about two years and bridging visas etc. Did you get a very short 457 the first time, out of interest? Just wondering why you needed another one already.

You can apply for PR anytime. The only thing working with an employer for 2 years gives is an exemption from the skills assessment.

No, time on a bridging visa would not count unless you are actually working for them.

Yes I am working for them. And my job doesn't qualify for skilled migration as far as I'm aware.

Yes I am working for them. And my job doesn't qualify for skilled migration as far as I'm aware.

Woah just came across a much broader list of skilled occupations I've never seen before and different to the one on the immi website. I always thought skilled migration meant doctor, engineer, teacher etc etc. what have I been missing!?

If employer is happy to sponsor you, why not just do a skills assessment and then you don't have to worry about two years and bridging visas etc. Did you get a very short 457 the first time, out of interest? Just wondering why you needed another one already.

I didn't think I could do the skills assessment but maybe I can. I always thought skilled migration meant doctor, engineer, teacher etc as per the list on the immi website.

12 weeks for a 457 does sound quite long, especially for an onshore applicant.

As you have held more than one 457 visa your situation is a little more complicated than most.

Time on a bridging visa between 457s can sometimes count towards the two year requirement to satisfy the Temporary Resident Transitional Pathway.

Professional advice may be warranted in your case.

12 weeks for a 457 does sound quite long, especially for an onshore applicant.

As you have held more than one 457 visa your situation is a little more complicated than most.

Time on a bridging visa between 457s can sometimes count towards the two year requirement to satisfy the Temporary Resident Transitional Pathway.

Professional advice may be warranted in your case.

Thanks for your help

Hello Hardtochase,

My daughter's fiancé J was nominated early December in Sydney, and they submitted their application early January as their WHVs were about to expire. So both have been on bridging visas since Jan, and in their respective jobs for 8 months now. No agent is involved as the company had previously successfully sponsored other employees.

About a month ago they were advised that they'd been allocated a case officer, and submitted additional docs as requested. Not hearing anything more they sent an email a week ago asking if everything was progressing.

This week a new CO contacted J to advise that the Nomination appeared to have been stuck in a hole, and he would have to dig that out before reviewing their application.

So all told they've been waiting over 3 months since the nomination was submitted.

I'm a bit confused as to how they were asked to submit more information if the nomination hadn't been approved (in Feb) unless the first CO was looking at the nomination and application together, and then picked up another case to deal with.

Both J and my daughter are on tenterhooks, as I'm sure you are.... They love their jobs and I assume J's company are happy with him after 8 months otherwise they would have cancelled their nomination rather than continue employing him in the role.

I am really hoping that the new CO will review the application speedily now, I believe the SLA for low risk applicants should be around 2 months, so this case has clearly exceeded the average timescales!

I hope your new visa is approved soon Hardtochase, it's an awful time waiting for such a life changing decision

regards