Want to hand over the reigns to an agent.. what is usually included in fees?

jodipodi

The time is coming near to hand over the reigns to an agent but we need hubby to complete his degree in May - can you enlist an agent even if you don't have everything ready to go immediately?

We don't want any stress, just want our agent to do the lot.....but what actually is 'the lot'? Does it mean they just gather docs and info from you, then they fill all forms etc? So would they fill in skills assessment, tell us exactly what it is VETASSESS are asking for, like how to word roles and responsibilities at work etc....do they generally give you the best 'strategy' based on your situation?

I'd also like to know, if they do everything how do fees work....I've read of people paying in instalments so - would the skills assessment, agents fees and visa charges be included in a total fee then spread out - say first instalment would include skills assessment fee and first part of agents fee.....then say second instalment would be visa fee and the remaining part of agents fees?

I know not all agents will work exactly the same...but if you used an agent how did yours work?

An agent will advise you on the best strategy for your circumstances but you will do the form filling and document gathering with the agent guiding you and advising on what to do and when. A lot of people will get an initial assessment from an agent and then decide on what is the best route for them, some continue with an agent and others will do it all them selves. another alternative is to do it all yourself but get everything checked by an agent before you send in paperwork. Every application is different and it depends on you and how confident you feel as to your decision to use an agent or go it alone.

There initial assessment will normally include an idea of fees and costs involved.

Guest guest30085

Hi Jodi

Is your OHs degree the qualification you will be using for his skills assessment? If so, just be prepared that you will need the degree certificate and official transcript to be able to send in, which, depending on your Uni, could be June/July time. By all means do your homework regarding agent fees and instalment plans etc, but I would hold off actually employing one until you have the qualification etc to hand. I did my own, including Vetassess, so it can be done, but if you prefer to employ an agent then just ensure they are MARA registered.

Hi Jodi

Is your OHs degree the qualification you will be using for his skills assessment? If so, just be prepared that you will need the degree certificate and official transcript to be able to send in, which, depending on your Uni, could be June/July time. By all means do your homework regarding agent fees and instalment plans etc, but I would hold off actually employing one until you have the qualification etc to hand. I did my own, including Vetassess, so it can be done, but if you prefer to employ an agent then just ensure they are MARA registered.

Actually adonna, we only need his degree for points...we could get skills assessed now if it mean saving time - we could get the points letter when he receives his certificates but if that means it's going to take another 3-4 months to be assessed we may ad well wait and do them together ....I've asked the question about whether the points letters come quicker than skills assessments but havnt had a reply just yet.

There are Occupation list changes expected in July also aren't there? Hoping Youth Worker stays on CSOL...it has high availability on SA SS at present (so please please please let it stay there!)

I'd love to do it alone but there are issues with my daughter and possible issues with permission for her to migrate so I really need the confidence and knowledge a migration agent can provide me.

I have 2 MARA in mind who regularly help people on PIO and have both been forthcoming on my previous questions. Xx

Guest guest30085

Ah ok, so you'll have it for the visa app. Not sure about lead times for the points advisory letter, skills assessments seem to be running at around 12-16 weeks (mine took 17).

Youth Worker requires a qualification equivalent to AQF Diploma (which I think is around HND level) so does your OH have a qualification other than his degree?

I didn't bother with the points advisory letter, the DIBP will make their own mind up on the degree and his work experience, but remember that whilst Vetassess will give credit for pre-qualification work experience (for some categories anyway and I think you're in C group which allows this) - when it comes to applying for your visa, the DIBP will usually only look at post-qualification work experience. Obviously I'm not aware of his background and this is only my perception of it.

Guest guest30085

Just adding, to combat this, as a lot of my work experience was pre-qualification, I did not claim any points for it and instead took the IELTS test and made sure I got above all 8s for the 20 points

Ah ok, so you'll have it for the visa app. Not sure about lead times for the points advisory letter, skills assessments seem to be running at around 12-16 weeks (mine took 17).

Youth Worker requires a qualification equivalent to AQF Diploma (which I think is around HND level) so does your OH have a qualification other than his degree?

I didn't bother with the points advisory letter, the DIBP will make their own mind up on the degree and his work experience, but remember that whilst Vetassess will give credit for pre-qualification work experience (for some categories anyway and I think you're in C group which allows this) - when it comes to applying for your visa, the DIBP will usually only look at post-qualification work experience. Obviously I'm not aware of his background and this is only my perception of it.

Yeah, he has a foundation degree which I believe is level 4 if I remember rightly.. the same level of qualificationas they require ...not 100% certain though, but I guess an agent will clarify....then if not I guess we'd just have to wait until he graduates.

As for the 3 year work experience for Points?... I didnt realise it had to be post qualification.. I thought it was 3 years as long as in a relevant field? He has just about 3 years..but whether it's post qualification would depend on which qualification they mean!!...will be 3 years working in a relevant field by the time we apply..but not post qualification :wacko:... And has enough for VETASSESS.... But see..you've mentioned something I didn't realise... .maybe I've missed important stuff....I'm drowning in questions,and the ever changing SS requirements and occupational changes.xx

:arghh:

Guest guest30085

If you have a qualification equal to the required and then work experience after this, then that should be ok for the visa app itself, the pre-qualification experience would relate if you are using the degree. Like I said though, that's only my interpretation, an agent would confirm it all for you x

Just adding, to combat this, as a lot of my work experience was pre-qualification, I did not claim any points for it and instead took the IELTS test and made sure I got above all 8s for the 20 points

A-ha! Actually if hubs gets 7s we should be laughing!.... Might not even need that work experience... :notworthy:

Can anyone give me a yes 'nod' or a no please for this following complicated conundrum :wink:...so, hubs qualifies now to be assessed by VETASSESS based on him having 2 years work experience and his foundation degree (which I think is equivalent to what they want) meaning we could get cracking with that Skills Assessment!! ...but...we need the 15 points for his degree which we can't claim until say June/July when he's graduated. Does this mean we would then have to apply for the points advice letter after he graduates to confirm his degree for points purposes or would we literally just have to send his transcript and certificate with our visa application and they'll (immi) check themselves?

Dh has ommited his degree as he only just got it. He used his professional qualification for the skills assessment. Our agent advised we would have to redo skills assessment to include the degree.. if that is any help.

From an agent perspective we chose one to do everything. He completed all the forms and paperwork so we just provide what he asks for. He certified it all as he is MARA and he deals with the immi account. He also provided template packs of everything we had to provide, which helped as it meant our references were in the correct format ect. Nice and easy :)

We paid in phases, so first installment was at point of instruction, second at point of complete skills assessment, third at point of lodging ect. So if you dont lodge for 6 months you dont pay for 6 months which is what I liked about him. That was just his fees. The visa fees had to be paid in one hit when we lodged.

Hope that makes sense I am on my rubbish phone xx

Dh has ommited his degree as he only just got it. He used his professional qualification for the skills assessment. Our agent advised we would have to redo skills assessment to include the degree.. if that is any help.

From an agent perspective we chose one to do everything. He completed all the forms and paperwork so we just provide what he asks for. He certified it all as he is MARA and he deals with the immi account. He also provided template packs of everything we had to provide, which helped as it meant our references were in the correct format ect. Nice and easy :)

We paid in phases, so first installment was at point of instruction, second at point of complete skills assessment, third at point of lodging ect. So if you dont lodge for 6 months you dont pay for 6 months which is what I liked about him. That was just his fees. The visa fees had to be paid in one hit when we lodged.

Hope that makes sense I am on my rubbish phone xx

That sounds like what I'm after....someone who gives totally clear outlines of exactly what's required... Total hand holding so no mistakes can be made.

As for your husband getting the skills assessment done again once he finished his degree.. Did you need that for skills Assessment rather than points - or was it specifically for a Points letter that you got it reassessed?

Thanks a lot for the info Micheala, so the assessment and other fee payable stuff like ielts etc are just paid on a separate basis by yourself xxx

That sounds like what I'm after....someone who gives totally clear outlines of exactly what's required... Total hand holding so no mistakes can be made.

As for your husband getting the skills assessment done again once he finished his degree.. Did you need that for skills Assessment rather than points - or was it specifically for a Points letter that you got it reassessed?

Thanks a lot for the info Micheala, so the assessment and other fee payable stuff like ielts etc are just paid on a separate basis by yourself xxx

Cant help really Jodi,memory isnt great,fees for TRA and DIAC etc were paid by ourselves with bank drafts etc,our agent gave us templates of statements needed from previous employers too,much more detailed than a standard reference,truth is though,you'll still be doing a lot of legwork yourself,but it is reassuring when the agent is overseeing it all

Cant help really Jodi,memory isnt great,fees for TRA and DIAC etc were paid by ourselves with bank drafts etc,our agent gave us templates of statements needed from previous employers too,much more detailed than a standard reference,truth is though,you'll still be doing a lot of legwork yourself,but it is reassuring when the agent is overseeing it all

Cheers Pabs, yeah that's ok, don't mind doing the legwork of getting references and stuff...just don't want to go chasing people to get them and then them turn out to be not enough detail or info...templates would help avoid that wouldn't they.

I could probably do it myself but I can't guarantee that I wouldn't miss something, tick a wrong box, misunderstand something.... Read about people c*cking up their visas by making totally avoidable mistakes and there's no way I'm risking that, this has been our obsession since hubby started uni..even before that...so to have one of us be responsible for it going skewiff would just be devastation. Also, as you know there are issues surrounding my daughter and stuff so we need to know all the possible routes....I guess an agent gives you some sense of security xx

Yea I wanted someone to walk through every step with us too. We probably could of done it ourselves, but we just felt this was the best route for us. We paid IELTs, skills assessment and medicals seperate. Our agent took the visa fee and his final payment together, then he paid the DIAC, save us having two lots of exchange fees. He is is really good, or I think so anyway lol. He has a range of packages from doing it all to diy packages. He does a consultation first so you know exactly where you stand. I can send you his details if you like, and a way to get $50 off. Not much but it all helps hahaha. I liked him as its literally pay as you go, so if you want to do it fast you can, if you need to spread it out you can. I am sounding like an advert now so will stop :laugh:

For DH's degree, we just have not bothered declaring it. We did not need it for the points as his professional qualification covered us anyway. He only got degree results this week. But when we discussed with our agent previously, he said we would have to have it assessed as part of the skills assessment if we had wanted to claim it. That was for an accountant though, so guess its different for different qualifications, not 100% sure... Thats why i pay an agent :laugh: Xx

That would be great if you could let me know who you used :yes:

Ah yeah I remember something on a previous post about certain professional qualifications overriding or being as good as a degree. I've found out that the points advice would still take another 3ish month again....but apparently from what I can gather...its not actually required. I'll have to get it all confirmed though.

Thanks very much for your help hun, and everyone er lee's of course xxx

This is wrong.

It doent matter though if we are not claiming the degree does it? We can just omitt the degree? I might of misunderstood to be honest.

Will send you a PM Jodi. Gives another option to look at even if it is no good :) xx

Since WRUSSEL is one of the most respected migration agents. I would give him a call

I agree...Westly has been on my very very short list of agents to contact all along. I've noted his 'to the point' replies which I've found along the way are very telling of his knowledge. I will be getting in touch soon once Im in a more favourable position. Sometimes you just need to know a good grounding yourself before proceeding -so you know if you're going to be asking the right questions I suppose xx

Archived