Flying back to UK for Christmas

adamexmouth

We're looking to book flights from Sydney to London this Dec. The cheapest flights I can find are around $2200, there are slightly cheaper ones, but with horrendous stopover times. I'm wondering if we wait a bit longer will the flights go up more or will there be sales on later in the year? Any feedback or advice from any regular Xmas flyers would be appreciated.

We're looking to book flights from Sydney to London this Dec. The cheapest flights I can find are around $2200, there are slightly cheaper ones, but with horrendous stopover times. I'm wondering if we wait a bit longer will the flights go up more or will there be sales on later in the year? Any feedback or advice from any regular Xmas flyers would be appreciated.

If you're looking to depart between 10-24 December then that is a good price...while not guaranteed, if you wait, you should expect the prices to be higher than that.

You won't get cheaper than that for a Xmas flight. Peak period I'm afraid so can't expect it to be cheap. I wouldn't do horrendous stopovers or fly with Chinese airlines either. You need to be relaxed to enjoy your holiday not stressed out for the sake of a few hundred bucks !!

• 2 months later...

last year was back for 14/12 to 29/12

went Sydney>Guangzhou>Heathrow and back with Southern China Airways

got it from Kayak/byojet for about $2100 later in the year and was decent, layover and total journey was alright and not too bad at circa 24hrs a trip. food and entertainment good as all the other airlines.

Anyone been via Indonesia? think they are often the cheapest

Also saw that this christmas Qantas do a direct Sydney>Heathrow that takes about 22hrs and is about 2600

• 1 month later...
I've just paid $1800 for our Christmas flights...but we are flying out on the 5th...after the 7th I think prices go up

Too early unfortunately, wife's job is being somewhat restrictive, so 16th is the earliest we can go sadly.

Out of interest, who did you book with and who are you flying with? :)

Too early unfortunately, wife's job is being somewhat restrictive, so 16th is the earliest we can go sadly.

Out of interest, who did you book with and who are you flying with? :)

Etihad, booked direct with them a few days ago...I have noticed since that the flight we are on is not available now, it's the next price bracket up putting another $100 or so on tickets...I just watched prices daily and when I saw what I wanted for right price I just booked it quick before it disappeared!

I use Jetabroad and Skyscanner for comparisons...then book direct with airline, often you will find price displayed is not price you pay what with agency fees etc but a useful guide all the same as to who's prices are cheapest at any one time

Edited by HappyHeart

Etihad, booked direct with them a few days ago...I have noticed since that the flight we are on is not available now, it's the next price bracket up putting another $100 or so on tickets...I just watched prices daily and when I saw what I wanted for right price I just booked it quick before it disappeared!

I use Jetabroad and Skyscanner for comparisons...then book direct with airline, often you will find price displayed is not price you pay what with agency fees etc but a useful guide all the same as to who's prices are cheapest at any one time

Thanks very much.

We flew back with Etihad in March and I thought they were descent. Hope you have a brilliant time back.

Don't forget to return ;)

Thanks:) Hope you find a good price, where are you flying from and to?

From Melbourne to London Heathrow, got her brothers wedding to go to and unfortunately missing my younger brothers 30th by 3 days, really frustrating.

China Eatern I think it's going to have to be. Read there are many issues with the entertainment system, so will need to load up with movies on the iPad/Laptop.

From Melbourne to London Heathrow, got her brothers wedding to go to and unfortunately missing my younger brothers 30th by 3 days, really frustrating.

China Eatern I think it's going to have to be. Read there are many issues with the entertainment system, so will need to load up with movies on the iPad/Laptop.

Shame you cant go a week earlier...keep your eyes peeled though, may be different flights coming up

Flights will generally skyrocket in price from the 9th or 10th of December.

One exception I have seen in previous years is Royal Brunei who have had cheaper (not cheap) fares right through December. Looking at your dates on the RB website they are coming out at $2270 which is very cheap for that time of year. How much cheaper is China Southern / Eastern?

Royal Brunei you will get a shiny new dreamliner all the way from MEL to LHR with reasonable connections.

Bloody hell, thought I had finalised it with Southern Eastern, but the reviews are abysmal.

It's around $600 per person cheaper, which is a considerable amount of money.

This is a tad frustrating, will see how we get on, will update on here.