Paying UK student loan

AWUK

I will start paying back income assessed student loan in April and don't want to be hit with transfer fees every month and having an automatic direct debit. Does anyone have advice on alternative ways for making the payments? TIA

Guest guest73691

Its worth checking, but not sure they do let you pay directly from an Aussie account. I transferred my payments into a UK bank account and paid SLC that way - from memory I think this seemed to be the only option. I know when I rang SLC to pay off the remainder of my student loan, I was told I could not use an Australian debit card to make the payment. Bit of a pain!

do you actually have to pay it? England copied the Australian system, I went to uni in australia then went to the UK for 10 years, never paid a cent and you dont have to, it is deducted from australian earnings, if you dont earn anything in australia you dont EVER have to pay it.. is it not the same the other way around? There was even something in the paper about it the other day how many students NEVer pay it off... as they go to London or china and never come back

Guest guest73691

Yes, you still need to pay your loan repayments if you are working overseas and earning over a specified threshold (which varies depending on country). You need to notify the SLC when you move abroad and arrange to have your repayments assessed, based on your earnings.

do you actually have to pay it? England copied the Australian system, I went to uni in australia then went to the UK for 10 years, never paid a cent and you dont have to, it is deducted from australian earnings, if you dont earn anything in australia you dont EVER have to pay it.. is it not the same the other way around? There was even something in the paper about it the other day how many students NEVer pay it off... as they go to London or china and never come back

The old system (when the loan way first introduced) was a mortgage-style payment where you had to agree to let them debit it. They changed it into an automatic right to retrieve in the late '90's. If you had one of the older ones you could basically ignore them, and if you did it for 7 years they couldn't force you to pay any more. The new style one is not like that and there are now agreements between countries to get it recovered, but I can't remember if the 7 years out of contact thing still appplies. There's some legal term for what the debt transforms into, can't remember off the top of my head but there are lots of discussions elsewhere on the internet about it.

Saying that, a friend rang SLC to see how he could repay from overseas and the customer contact said "why bother..?" (he did though)