UK to NZ, then NZ to Oz?

Norma

We have friends that have moved to Wellington in NZ. They have permanent residence visas. However, they are now considering moving permanently to Oz (something to do with her husbands work contract coming to an end).

They said that it's much easier to get into Oz on a permanent basis via NZ, instead of going to Oz direct from UK.

I don't see how that can be correct - the added cost of new visa applications would wipe out the average bank account, wouldn't it?

Opinions welcomed. :biggrin:

Guest BrisbaneBevan

Maybe it is cheaper and less strenuous to qualify for PR in NZ? Once a NZ citizen they have reciprocal rights in Australia. Perhaps that is the reason? It all depends on what your visa entry class was I suppose. For me, on a 457, I would have to prove two years of employment/residence in one regional area, and then fork out a shed load of cash to get PR status.

Maybe it is cheaper and less strenuous to qualify for PR in NZ? Once a NZ citizen they have reciprocal rights in Australia. Perhaps that is the reason? It all depends on what your visa entry class was I suppose. For me, on a 457, I would have to prove two years of employment/residence in one regional area, and then fork out a shed load of cash to get PR status.

New Zealand residency does not allow you to live in Australia..New Zealand citizenship does.

But Australian residency does allow you to live in New Zealand, and become a permanent resident there after

spending 2 years in country..

The easiest way to get to Australia on a Permanent bases would be to apply for Australian PR. A NZ PR has no rights to go to Australia without also being eligible for the same visas you are eligible for from the UK. A NZ citizen can live in Australia as they are granted a special category visa, but if NZ want to become Australian citizens they also need to apply and be eligible for PR. To gain NZ citizenship you need 5 years living in NZ. Australian citizenship is 4 years the final 12 moths as a PR. Many doors for NZ citizens to gain PR in Australia have been closed and they require to be eligible for the same visas as everyone else.

We have friends that have moved to Wellington in NZ. They have permanent residence visas. However, they are now considering moving permanently to Oz (something to do with her husbands work contract coming to an end).

They said that it's much easier to get into Oz on a permanent basis via NZ, instead of going to Oz direct from UK.

I don't see how that can be correct - the added cost of new visa applications would wipe out the average bank account, wouldn't it?

Opinions welcomed. :biggrin:

It will be easy to get into Oz on a permanent basis once they're NZ citizens but while they're only NZ PRs, there's not the slightest difference. If they haven't been in NZ for for long enough to qualify to apply for citizenship there (at least 5 years), they're very much mistaken and they will either have to stay in NZ or qualify for Australian skilled immigration in the same way as someone from any other country.

And even if they get to Australia on the basis of being NZ citizens, they will not be PRs in Australia and won't ever be able to apply for Australian citizenship. Even though Kiwis can live in Australia permanently, they're not Permanent Residents in immigration, citizenship or Centrelink terms. The only way they can become PRs in those terms is to qualify for a permanent skilled immigration visa just like everyone else.

I don't see how that can be correct - ...

You're right - it's not correct.

It's a load of rubbish, actually, as everyone has already pointed out. :biggrin:

I'm in that boat. Moved from Ireland to NZ a few years back and now looking at moving to Aus. I came here on a student visa and now I'm on a work visa. If you plan on coming to NZ to work for a few years and not get PR then it's an easier country to get a work visa than Aus. For me getting PR in NZ is easier than PR in Australia mainly because my partner is kiwi plus there's no such thing as an EOI you just apply. And then you need to wait a number of years before you have citizenship to move to Aus.

A lot of people in the past used NZ to get to Aus and that's why the two countries are different in entry requirements. I have to apply for the 189/190 visa to get to Aus but my partner can work/live in Australia on his kiwi passport but as stated above does not have access to government help. We plan on applying for his citizenship after a number of years there. The other thing to note if you have kids you have to pay for education especially if they head to college whereas you get help if your an Aus citizen.

Well, it seems my friend's husband is NZ born and still has family there etc, which is why they chose to go back to NZ as a starting point. (Amazed I didn't know anything about that.) Anyway, as my friend is UK born, they have done all of their paperwork with him as lead name, so even though he lived in UK for many years (not even a hint of a NZ accent), that would probably explain why they felt it was a simple enough transfer to make ie: from UK to NZ to Oz.

I'm in that boat. Moved from Ireland to NZ a few years back and now looking at moving to Aus. I came here on a student visa and now I'm on a work visa. If you plan on coming to NZ to work for a few years and not get PR then it's an easier country to get a work visa than Aus. For me getting PR in NZ is easier than PR in Australia mainly because my partner is kiwi plus there's no such thing as an EOI you just apply. And then you need to wait a number of years before you have citizenship to move to Aus.

A lot of people in the past used NZ to get to Aus and that's why the two countries are different in entry requirements. I have to apply for the 189/190 visa to get to Aus but my partner can work/live in Australia on his kiwi passport but as stated above does not have access to government help. We plan on applying for his citizenship after a number of years there. The other thing to note if you have kids you have to pay for education especially if they head to college whereas you get help if your an Aus citizen.

. You can apply for 461 visa being the partner of an NZ citizen. http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/461.aspx

Well, it seems my friend's husband is NZ born and still has family there etc, which is why they chose to go back to NZ as a starting point. (Amazed I didn't know anything about that.) Anyway, as my friend is UK born, they have done all of their paperwork with him as lead name, so even though he lived in UK for many years (not even a hint of a NZ accent), that would probably explain why they felt it was a simple enough transfer to make ie: from UK to NZ to Oz.

Very convoluted way of doing it.

As others have pointed out it is easy to enter Australia to live as a NZ citizen but the visa you are given leaves you as a temporary resident for ever. Ie you can remain in Australia as long as no crime committed but you are not ever given PR or Australian citizenship and you are treated as a temp resident for ever with fewer rights than other residents. Not the ideal visa for a permanent life in Australia and many kiwis are protesting it.

I did not know that existed thankyou. I have the points to apply for a 189 visa and my job has been on the SOL for quite a while and I dont see it changing for a while. With the added benefits I could get under the 189 and then citizenship after a number of years, would it be better to apply for a 189 or 461? I'm presuming after the 5 years on a 461 I will then need to apply for a 189 to get PR. On the up side I would have australian experience for the points and if I do it in the next 2-3 years I would also have the <30years old points also.

The basic requirements for a NZ citizen or SC 461 visa holder as the partner of a NZ citizen are generally the same to those of anyone else.

There are some concessions (skills assessment, English, Age) in relation to NZ visa holders who are being sponsored by their employer (assuming they have worked for them in their nominated occupation for 2 years).

If after 5 years on the 461, do I then need to apply for the 189 for PR?
the 461 can be renewed, but if you are eligible for 189 now it might be the better route than waiting as migration regulations change so often. It would be advisable to add your NZ partner to your pr application, therefore they would also be granted pr and eligible for citizenship once meet the residency requirements. They will not be able to become a citizen of Australia without pr.

Thankyou for your help. We've decided the 189 is the way to go with adding him to the application and a backup of the 461 if money doesn't go as planned this year.

It's amazing though I had asked an agent for all the options open to us for moving over including and excluding PR and after doing my own digging with the help of POMS and the immi website found so much more information than she gave us! The 461 never came up or adding my partner on my visa. I'm glad I decided to do it myself now.

Archived