Sharing my pet shipping research

Aunt Agatha

I thought I’d share my pet transport research in case it’s helpful to anyone else. I asked for quotes to ship three cats from Brisbane to Newcastle Upon Tyne at the end of November.

I have listed the quotes below in order from the cheapest to the most expensive.

Aero Pets - $4777

Pet Carriers International - $4789

Dogtainers - $4907

Jetpets - $4980

Most companies require a $500 non-refundable deposit at the time of booking.

Below shows the inclusions with Pet Carriers International as an example but they are all pretty much the same.

· Collect 3 Cats home address - Qld for travel 1 day prior to departure.

· Complimentary overnight boarding

· Obtain AQIS Government health and export permits

· Supply IATA approved travelling kennels 3x 63x43x45cms (please check dimensions)

· Book airline Brisbane to NEWCASTLE

· AWB and document handling charges

· Veterinary health check by an AQIS accredited veterinarian prior to departure

· Freight charges and document handling fees

· Lodge at International Cargo for flight to NEWCASTLE

· SingaporeTransit Fee

· London Landing & Clearance Charge (Pet Scheme)

· Administration/Agency fee

Dogtainers do not include pick up from your residence in Aus but they do include delivery to your residence in the UK, while the others do include pick up but not drop off so it’s swings and roundabouts.

Where the rabies vaccination was not included I have added in the quote my vet gave me - $149 per cat – to make the comparison fair. This vax HAS to be done at least 21 days prior to travel.

Make sure to check that customs clearance fees are included as this can add a fair bit to the total. I can’t find any definite info on how much custom clearance fees would be for three cats travelling Australia to the UK but a friend paid £310 in customs fees for one dog who travelled L.A. to London.

I'm waiting on three more quotes and then I’ll make my decision, but Aero Pets who are the cheapest and were lovely on the phone are looking like the best bet so far. Happy to answer any questions (if I can) in the meantime.

Very useful info AA.

I haven't used Jetpets per se, but did book 2 travelling crates from them when I had to get my dogs from Sydney to Perth.

They were given all info ie, flight times, heights, weights etc etc, said they would meet us at the airport 3 hours before the fight, took our money, give ref no and sent email confirmation

We turned up, dogs turned up but no crates!!

Upon phoning Jetpets, they were useless, couldn't/wouldn't help. Our saving grace was the airline guy doing the check in knew someone in the company and had his personal phone no which he give us. It turned out ok, but only just!!

Also to note, while picking our dogs up at Sydney quarantine, Jetpets turned up to collect also, they were turned away because they had the wrong date.

Im not picking on Jetpets, its just been my experience of them.

all the best to you and the furballs xx

Wow, Jetpets sound very disorganised! They were more expensive than all my other quotes too.

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience Fifi69, that would really try my patience! And thanks for sharing Scotsquine and Fifi69 it's really useful to hear others' experiences.

I just used Dogtainers for 2 dogs from Brisbane to UK, my quote included pick up and 2 days free kennels along with a similar list to your post i can not fault there service, I had constant updates and pictures sent to me and they were great to deal with and very professional i would recommend them any day

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I'm moving from Brisbane to London and am looking for any advice or insights about your experiences with transporting your pets internationally. I will be moving with my 13 yo larger dog and I guess like most owners I am very anxious about the whole journey! So far I have been dealing with both aeropets and jetpets, and trying to decide between these two companies - any insights would be appreciated!!

Seems like the price is about the same between the two. Jetpets staff are friendlier on the phone, however they do not provide any updates mid-transit whereas aeropets do.

Help!

Thanks so much in advance :)

We moved in July, we used Dogtainers in Brisbane for our dog. Cost was $3200 from Brisbane to. Munich ( we stayed there for a few weeks then drove to Scotland) they did everything, and updated us while we had a few days in Japan on the way. They emailed several times with photos. Service was excellent. Included in the price was 2 days boarding and we paid for 3 more as we had a stop over on the way. Can't recommend them enough.

They were all pretty much the same price as all the others, but I just got a great vibe from Dogtainers and my hunch was right. They really care about the animals.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I will look into dogtainers. Very hard trying to differentiate between them all!

• 2 weeks later...

I used Dogtainers to bring my Airedale terrier and Siamese cat here in 2009 and not only did they charge an arm and a leg, their response time to my queries was rather lax; once I knew approximately when I was going back home with both the animals, I actually sent out about 12 emails to different pet travel companies for quotes with markedly different responses, and 3 companies didn't bother to reply at all. I don't think that I should name them here. I decided to go with Petraveller in the end because their quote was really good, they replied within 1 day and they have kept in touch since with lots of advice and support. I found that the quotes varied considerably, some by up to $2,000 which certainly coloured my judgement. It helped that I have still got the wooden crates that were made for them in England but I was annoyed that 2 of the companies suggested that the crates wouldn't meet 'Australian' standards. Well, it made me chuckle when I stopped being annoyed, hahaha.

I'm using JetPets to take my cat from Sydney to Manchester UK, and it's costing $3069 door to door plus another $18 for 1 night boarding in Sydney. I am flying out on 8 December. I've been really impressed with the customer service so far, the phone and email correspondence has been excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi ScotSAfAus, can you pls let me know how you go with Jet Pets? I have dealing with them through email so far & found them very helpful. (Moving cat from Bris to East Sussex) :) Has anyone else used them?

Hi we used Jet pets for one dog Brisbane to LHR - cannot fault the service and he seemed fine and happy when we collected him from LHR - cost was around $4000 including collecting him and 1 nights board.

Hi ScotSAfAus, can you pls let me know how you go with Jet Pets? I have dealing with them through email so far & found them very helpful. (Moving cat from Bris to East Sussex) :) Has anyone else used them?

Hi there - would you be able to share any quotes/recommendations with me - Moving cat from Bris to E Sussex next year - Cheers, CP

Hi Chortlepuss, I was quoted just over $2500 for my fur baby to be shipped from Brisbane to Heathrow. Then if I want her to be driven to East Sussex it took my quote to just over $3000. So we are just trying to work out whether it's worth paying that much more for them to handle the stress of picking her up & dropping her off or if we should do it ourselves :/

• 3 weeks later...

we are looking to arrange it ourselves to take our two dogs from sydney to heathrow. Qantas provide a very useful document laying out all the requirements etc. It seems a lot of money could be saved not using an agent. Has anyone else done this?

Hi Chortlepuss, I was quoted just over $2500 for my fur baby to be shipped from Brisbane to Heathrow. Then if I want her to be driven to East Sussex it took my quote to just over $3000. So we are just trying to work out whether it's worth paying that much more for them to handle the stress of picking her up & dropping her off or if we should do it ourselves :/

Heathrow to East Sussex with a whingeing cat (well ours would whinge) v payment of additional $500 - that is a tricky one. I suspect that if I had the $ I would be very tempted.... I don't suppose they can fly them into Gatwick?

• 2 months later...

Hi marenmatt1, sorry for the delayed reply - I was really impressed with JetPets, the whole process was excellent, their communication was really good and I dealt with the same person each time (Melanie Rose) which made it a lot easier. My cat was picked up on the Monday morning from home (Central Coast NSW), and delivered to me in Derbyshire on the Thursday afternoon. The flight was delayed but I was kept up to date by phonecalls and texts and the service I received on both sides was really good. When I let her out of the crate she was quite wet and smelly from her water container having all tipped out and mixed with the urine in her absorbent mat, I am not sure if this was preventable or not. It didn't take her long to make herself at home (thanks to Feliway) and explore all the nooks and crannies and hidey holes in our new home. Hope that helps!

Archived