How multicultural is your area and does it work?

HappyHeart

Mines isn't multicultural at all, this village reminds me of midsummer murders or something like that lol. The larger town isn't much better, handful of Asians, Chinese and one or two polish people. There's a Australian women that works in the peacocks shop. That's about it as far as i can tell..

Eta - few Italian people too

Only been in Geelong a few weeks but it seems 95% Australian.. its nice actually, didnt like walking around Wolverhampton hearing so many foreign lanaguages been spoken. My parents were really shocked after going back for first time in 30 years about how it seems 1 in 3 people werent english speaking

Perth area differs from East Coast, as the principle source of migrants are from overwhelmingly UK, followed by NZ and RSA. In contrast Sydney is favoured by Chinese born and Melbourne Indian born as the leading migrant born nations.

Although some 17% of Metro Perth residents come from a nation where English is not the main language, many of those are from RSA (South Africa) or Malaysia or Philippines which tend to be bilingual.

The components of the Perth Metro population as of the 2011 census results are as follows.

UK a whopping 11.3% of the entire Perth population. Although a decline on the 2006 figures.

New Zealand now 3% of the total population. A rather large increase on five years previously.

RSA (South Africa) a big growth area with 1.8% (5% of Ocean Reef population) principally white folk leaving for perceived safer shores.

These three countries, principally, white and English speaking, although Afrikkans is a steadily growing community language in WA, compose a bit under 17% of the entire Perth Metro population.

Hardly the multi cultural diversity on the East Coast for example. Still doesn't infer that visible immigrants are not on the increase they are.

The Indian born community is now 1.7% and growing rapidly followed by the multi cultural Malaysians, who come in many different shades and race.

Chinese have grown 210% since 2001, although from a very low base. Biggest increase in the Chinese community of any OZ city in percent terms.

Singaporeans have long preferred Perth, though smallish in number do make up 0.8% of the population.

My inner city area the Irish stand out considerably. Many have moved into the area during the past two or three years and really making it their home from home. The second annual St Patrick's Day Celebration/Parade will be held on the 16th March. A Chinese presence is forming and with that groups like of inner city living can be expected to expand greatly in the near future.

The only other group that stand out are the Italians, mostly aged, though young Italian backpackers predominate in a very popular, very busy , long standing Pizza establishment.

RSA

My suburb is 95% bogan. I keep hoping we might get a few more people who are functionally literate to gentrify the place. I'm a bit down on the place having had my mother in law racially abused on the train recently, but...

Melbourne works pretty well, and its definitely diverse. I don't sense the tension and distrust between different groups that I saw in the UK, and even though some areas have large concentrations of particular groups, there aren't any obvious no go areas (except for the bogans, natch), and nowhere is completely one group or another (Box Hill and Glen Waverley have the reputation for being largely Asian - yes, there are substantial Asian populations, but there's a lot of non-Asians, and amongst that 'Asian' description there is a lot of diversity). The catch is that multiculturalism and diversity is a newer thing in Australia than in the UK, and even though its working generally better than in the UK (migrants and minorities seem to have less of a glass ceiling to progress, for example), there are still a few knuckleheads who haven't got their rather dim skulls around the idea, and adjusted their language, concepts and behaviour accordingly. It's a fear/stupidity thing, but fear can be pretty ugly when you encounter it. The paradox of Melbourne is that it is a diverse city that works well, but just occasionally you'll run into a throwback (sometimes quite a young throwback) that makes you think you've landed in the UK in the 1970s.

Yes multiculturalism is still relatively new to Australia in comparison to UK, so hard to compare. I'm not sure tolerance would have been the first thing thought by those Italians, Greeks, Maltese etc of the time,that came out to Australia after the war until the late 70's.

There were too few migrants of Asian or visible background to compare with the return of the Empire in the late 40's and right up to the early 80's, as was the case in UK, when visible immigrants started to become well visible on OZ streets.

The general consensus of the time and from own experience London was certainly more tolerant. Can't speak for rest of country. It would appear Australia has progressed greatly in the acceptance of immigrants, while UK has gone backwards. Tabloid press, EU membership, economic decline in industrial areas, all partly to blame.

The big advantage visible immigrants have these days compared to days past is the general concept that racism is bad or uncool.

Still interesting to note, as have mentioned previously in the case of Perth UK migrants do tend to huddle together. The highest concentration of any one group born in a particular country was here in Perth. One suburb has an entire 43% of its population born in UK.

I expect that may well soon be passed over in Sydney, with Chinese born, digging into Hurtsville, in numbers that will soon rival UK born in Jindalee, in per cent terms.

Mines isn't multicultural at all, this village reminds me of midsummer murders or something like that lol. The larger town isn't much better, handful of Asians, Chinese and one or two polish people. There's a Australian women that works in the peacocks shop. That's about it as far as i can tell..

Eta - few Italian people too

:laugh:

:laugh:

Lol there is! Or she might be kiwi. I can't tell the difference.. I'm always tempted to ask. Oh I just remembered there's a new Swedish girl in my village. I haven't met her yet but my mum was at the bus stop with her and she said all the pervy guys were almost crashing looking at the girl lol :laugh:

I had heard things about Sydney....what are the main ethnic backgrounds you notice Matt? Weren't there race riots there at one point? Have other areas of Australia seen race riots in recent years?

I suppose the absence of racially fuelled violence is what I would partly measure successful multiculturalism against.

I have a sinking feeling that, in Sydney I shall never get the true taste of multiculturalism..

Last November, I was also attacked at Bondi Beach...

And twice had to listen bad words.... [ Mother nature has given me the Primary lesson to memorize forever that I am a migrant] ....

I am not sure why there is racial tension in Oz

Watch the below videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6J6PF47CM

I have a sinking feeling that, in Sydney I shall never get the true taste of multiculturalism..

Last November, I was also attacked at Bondi Beach...

And twice had to listen bad words.... [ Mother nature has given me the Primary lesson to memorize forever that I am a migrant] ....

I am not sure why there is racial tension in Oz

Watch the below videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6J6PF47CM

How awful to be attacked on/at Bondi Beach. Of all places as it a cosmopolitan place. The events you show from youtube, do display a very ugly under belly to Australia, not displayed on the brochures.

Still I would like to think it is not a common occurrence and that sort of ugly racism has by and large been left behind in the 70's and 80's when it was all to common. Hopefully some would intervene and come to the defence of those being attacked or abused.

Such racist tirades though very ugly and intimidating are hardly unique to Australia, although to get so many on a bus support such behaviour, or at best remain passive, is disturbing.

Archived