Snowy mountains...

Kooky

Me and my husband are trying to decide where it is best to move to at the moment. He wants mountains (and seasons). I don't care about seasons really, don't need mountains, want to be near (car ride 20-30 mins) from nice beaches, and really loath the idea of snow/cold. Is it possible to live pretty near to the snowy mountains (again a short drive) yet it not be very cold in winter? If so where abouts would be a good place? We have small children so need a nice area where schools are good. Any suggestions?

Oh really the mountains are that far from the sea then? Mmmm. Wonder if there are any other mountains nearer to the sea? My husband doesn't necessarily want snow just mountains/very large hills for hiking.

We are both teachers.

Not really. At that latitude it gets chilly in winter wherever you are. Canberra is 2 hrs away from Thredbo and it has cold overnights - down to -7/8 in poorly insulated houses - but gets up to about 10C most days. Canberra is 2 hrs from the coast. A lot of people still get to the snow from Sydney - there's a snow bunny run most weekends - about 4-5 hours. I don't fancy your chances of mountains and beaches - it's going to be a good couple of hours from Thredbo to the nearest beach at around Eden. Places like Cooma, Jindabyne are going to be even colder in winter and rather fewer options for employment. You can have one but not the other.

Oh really the mountains are that far from the sea then? Mmmm. Wonder if there are any other mountains nearer to the sea? My husband doesn't necessarily want snow just mountains/very large hills for hiking.

We are both teachers.

Primary or secondary? 4 yr university trained? You might gave to rethink your career pathways.

Plenty of opportunities for bush walking - it's nothing like walking on UK hills. The Great Dividing Range runs the length of the country - about 2-3 hrs inland from the East Coast. The further north you go the less likely you are to get the seasonal change he may want. Tasmania might be an option but it's generally colder across the board

Primary or secondary? 4 yr university trained? You might gave to rethink your career pathways.

Plenty of opportunities for bush walking - it's nothing like walking on UK hills. The Great Dividing Range runs the length of the country - about 2-3 hrs inland from the East Coast. The further north you go the less likely you are to get the seasonal change he may want. Tasmania might be an option but it's generally colder across the board

the teaching is ok I have done skills assessment, EOI and applied for visa. Not worried about that. Happy to supply. More than happy to teach private too. Equally I'd be quite happy working in a shop or cafe!

It's more finding a place which suits us both. I can't stand the cold and don't really want to move all that way to have months of snow :rolleyes:

my husband loves walking though and really likes the idea of mountain (or big hills!).

You will have to be realistic about your employment prospects. There is no shortage of teachers willing to work within 2 hours of the sea in most parts of the country. Have a look around this site to find the teacher threads - many are struggling to find more than the odd days of supply work or short contracts. Outside the major cities it could be really difficult unless you are a maths/ science teacher.

Unemployment is rising here, and while you may be happy to work in a shop so will the many other applicants for every position.

Me and my husband are trying to decide where it is best to move to at the moment. He wants mountains (and seasons). I don't care about seasons really, don't need mountains, want to be near (car ride 20-30 mins) from nice beaches, and really loath the idea of snow/cold. Is it possible to live pretty near to the snowy mountains (again a short drive) yet it not be very cold in winter? If so where abouts would be a good place? We have small children so need a nice area where schools are good. Any suggestions?

Well, there you go one wants cool to cold and mountains, t'other wants flat and warm.

Good news, Kooky, Mackay is flat and warm and has the Eungella Range in the hinterland AND they had snow sometime in the 1950s...

And it has the G.B.Reef off shore...which is an added bonus.:yes:

:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

There is Bright in Vic about 3 hours from Lakes Entrance, but again gets cold. Anywhere near the snowy mountains gets cold. This might be of some help http://www.whereis.com you put in a location so say bright and click find then you can zoom in or out and see different areas. You can then click on directions add a second location and it will tell you how far away it is you can even look for schools, shops beaches and many other things and get distances.

Not really. At that latitude it gets chilly in winter wherever you are. Canberra is 2 hrs away from Thredbo and it has cold overnights - down to -7/8 in poorly insulated houses - but gets up to about 10C most days. Canberra is 2 hrs from the coast. A lot of people still get to the snow from Sydney - there's a snow bunny run most weekends - about 4-5 hours. I don't fancy your chances of mountains and beaches - it's going to be a good couple of hours from Thredbo to the nearest beach at around Eden. Places like Cooma, Jindabyne are going to be even colder in winter and rather fewer options for employment. You can have one but not the other.

Your house may have been poorly insulated, none of those we lived in were. And considering British houses are the worst built and insulated in Europe, not to mention the smallest, probably best not to comment.........

http://www.energybillrevolution.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Press-Release-UK-Suffers-Worst-Fuel-Poverty-in-Europe.pdf

Archived