Shipping a car and house contents together - anyone done it?

nuttersuclan

Dear all

I'm desperately hoping that I can bring my beloved motor with me! Has anyone on here imported their car via a container, along with their other belongings?

Cheers in advance

Which way you going mate to or from oz.because I am toying with taking the v8 back to uk. Sorry I cannot be any help.i think it all really depends on what you have and what it would cost to replace without the sentimental value.good luck

Not exactly the same, but we have just shipped my husband's motorbike and our belongings in a 20ft container - the bike was crated & placed into the container and then the rest of our stuff packed around it. Our stuff gets delivered on Wednesday and we collect the bike at the end of the week.

Dear all

I'm desperately hoping that I can bring my beloved motor with me! Has anyone on here imported their car via a container, along with their other belongings?

Cheers in advance

Yes we did, nearly 10 years ago thou, we had a 40 foot container, they built a frame around the car (at a cost of a few hundred pounds - from memory) and loaded boxes on top. At the time it was much cheaper than sending it on its own.

Thanks for all the replies people. I'm taking a car from the UK to Aus with any luck. Glad it can be done.

Yes we did, nearly 10 years ago thou, we had a 40 foot container, they built a frame around the car (at a cost of a few hundred pounds - from memory) and loaded boxes on top. At the time it was much cheaper than sending it on its own.

Which company did you use for this Jarvl? Did you load the car up first to make most of the container space?

Depending of the volume of furniture you are intending to ship, The normal practice at our company and all other companies is to load the furniture in 1st and then car last as this reduces cost on building a platform over the car if it is not need.

Have a look at the BAR website for a local mover who would be more than happy to help you out with your requirements.

All the best

We were going to but we couldn't fit car and belongings in a 20 foot container, worked out cheaper to send the car separately than get a bigger container in the end.

check out the thread in transport and shipping on cars, Iron Lady imports post there and can advise if it is cost effective for your particular car. We used them to sort things for us and all is good so far, Craig was great helping to sort things rather last minute and coming up with a route I wouldn't have contemplated without help to save cash. Car is still at sea but we intended to buy another anyway so we are mobile, you do need to factor in what you will do till it arrives.

Hi we're heading to Melbourne from Ireland in May and are trying to decide whether to ship my husbands motorbike in our 20ft container. He's not too sure whether it's cost effective to take it with him or buy one when he gets there.

My husband brought his Royal Enfield - we had to pay $50 AUD for vehicle import approval, then the cost of the container was £4,100 with the bike (it would have been £3,600) without, then GST (10% on value of bike as per purchase invoice) $800 AUD and now we need need to make it road compliant (not sure of this cost yet) - I am not sure all up it was worth it - but my hubby would beg to differ, it's his pride and joy!!