CV Experts Required

richselina

Hi,

We're soon to be moving to Melbourne and want to make sure we hit the ground running in our search for jobs so am seeking a CV writing expert who could help us prepare two new CV's that are tailored towards the Australian employment market, not the UK as I think they are today.

If you can help with this, then please PM me.

Thanks, Rich

Rich , I attended a skill building meeting last week regarding cv`s ect and was given some useful info.......I`m no expert but if you send me your email I can scan some details to you from an expert , ie don't put your age on , don't tell them if your married , its a Resume not cv ect ........age and being married can be a form of discrimination apparently ..like I say I`m no expert , I have done a few in my time but not for a while hence why I`m about to create a new one as I want a change of career .......she also said have a few varied resumes for certain types of employment .........good luck pal what type of work are you chasing ?

I dont know what work you do but we used same cv's as we did in uk and had no problem gettng interviews and jobs...in fact even had jobs say ours stood out from others and was better laid out/written...so maybe they like UK way!

I`m a class 1 pipe welder you would know that if you posted regularly on here , never had a prob getting welding work and I too always used same cv with a few changes here and there but I`m only telling the guy (who has asked for help) what an expert told me last week .

Huh?? I wasnt referring to you..I was also just giving op my thoughts..gimme a break...its not changed round here then..if your not one of the regulars your not allowed an opinion...and being a regular poster would not make me aware of your occupation anyway..ive bn using this sight since 2011 and didnt know that

Huh?? I wasnt referring to you..I was also just giving op my thoughts..gimme a break...its not changed round here then..if your not one of the regulars your not allowed an opinion...and being a regular poster would not make me aware of your occupation anyway..ive bn using this sight since 2011 and didnt know that

ok no dramas but maybe you should have replied with Richards quote , just looked like you were answering me .........you could always start a post about the weather in Devon , let us know whats going on ect .......

ok no dramas but maybe you should have replied with Richards quote , just looked like you were answering me .........you could always start a post about the weather in Devon , let us know whats going on ect .......

?? Im confused by you again...im in Queensland. .ive no idea how devon weather is..here it is sunny, dry n 32º..maybe I'll start a post on that n we can get back to cvs

To be fair Lorna you location does say Exeter, Devon.....

Anyway, to the OP, the only think I changed was to call it a resume rather than my curriculum vitae, Ive had no problems getting work with I laid out exactly as I had it in the UK.

Ok then..thats worth pointing out...as your both so interested I'll update my profile info

Ok then..thats worth pointing out...as your both so interested I'll update my profile info

Not interested at all, just reading through the thread which instigated an off the cuff observation based on what you said.... no need to be so rude! Your post does say you're confused as to why your location was referred to as Exeter, when you're in Brisbane - I actually thought I might have been helping out by letting you know!

Sigh.....

Anyway, moving on to useful discussion - OP, here is a thread you will likely find very useful:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/140658-tips-writing-competitive-aussie-cvs.html

Freckleface is, I believe, an Australian employer and has offered a wealth of advice in this area. You could also do a search using the words 'resume' or 'CV' and this should bring up loads of recent threads and discussion in the area.

Goodluck, hope this helps!

Have a look at http://writeawinningjobapplication.com.au/ The author, Lloyd White, is a recognised expert in WA and his advice and guidance with my resume and job applications helped me greatly during my 22 year career in the public service in WA until I recently retired. Really good advice on his website and his book is well worth the cost if you feel you want to go further. First rule of thumb is to lose your date of birth and marital status - not needed. After that you need to tailor your Resume to each particular position you are applying for. I hope it helps you in some way.

Rich , I attended a skill building meeting last week regarding cv`s ect and was given some useful info.......I`m no expert but if you send me your email I can scan some details to you from an expert , ie don't put your age on , don't tell them if your married , its a Resume not cv ect ........age and being married can be a form of discrimination apparently ..like I say I`m no expert , I have done a few in my time but not for a while hence why I`m about to create a new one as I want a change of career .......she also said have a few varied resumes for certain types of employment .........good luck pal what type of work are you chasing ?

Hi Tonyman,

If I PM you can you send me the information ? I've just finished my CV ,not done one for 14 years! So any extra advice will help

Many thanks

Hi Tonyman,

If I PM you can you send me the information ? I've just finished my CV ,not done one for 14 years! So any extra advice will help

Many thanks

of course you can Rink , I do anything for people with good manners like yourself ..........

Kind Regards Nick AKA tonyman .........

Guest guest30085

I don't think Lorna was being rude at all, I understood her confusion, she answered the OP about her experience with using her UK formatted CV and said it hadn't stopped her getting interviews etc. I don't understand the backlash nor the requests for a weather update from her previous location.

Anyway back to the OP.

Guest guest30085
this morning they were living in Devon now they are in Queensland , as I said if they had referred to the OT not mine then there would have been no confusion ..........

She didn't refer to yours though Nick, she didn't copy any bodies post, she just wrote a post about Aus CVs on a thread about Aus CVs. Lots of people forget to change their current location, it's not a deliberate act of hiding anything. Anyway let's leave it at that, taking the thread off course :)

this morning they were living in Devon now they are in Queensland , as I said if they had referred to the OT not mine then there would have been no confusion ..........

I didnt realize I had to quote original poster in my reply..I assumed it was obvious who I was referring to as you werent the one asking for advice..other people havent referred to op n aren't being subject to ott sarcasm n rudeness..anyway this is silly..and why is where I live so important? Ive not been on since I moved and didn't change my location, didnt realize that I had to do that either :/ just leave me out of your posts please

I didnt realize I had to quote original poster in my reply..I assumed it was obvious who I was referring to as you werent the one asking for advice..other people havent referred to op n aren't being subject to ott sarcasm n rudeness..anyway this is silly..and why is where I live so important? Ive not been on since I moved and didn't change my location, didnt realize that I had to do that either :/ just leave me out of your posts please

ok lorna lets move on , at least I have helped someone or two .........and I helped you change your location ........we can now forget and forgive ......and move on :wink:

Thanks Ross. I sent my regular cv for my registration. I tried to make it more australian but gave up in the end and just sent it as it was. They never questioned it and I received registration no problem.

Apart from calling it a resume instead of a cv, I can't see what the difference is. List of previous employers isn't going to Change nor my qualifications and skills. Having said that, I do, like everyone else, want my cv to stand out.

Debs

Tonyman. When you say you had ideas about some different types of cv's/resume's, did any of them include nurses?

Debs

Sorry Debs , overlooked this........but when I said have a few cv`s ready , I meant for different type of jobs ,it was probs aimed at unskilled people who tend to go for many different types of employment , refugees and labourers ect . Not my idea its what the lecturer said ........as a nurse you should be in great demand .......?

Archived