Britains getting a bashing

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Britain faced travel chaos today after flooding, strong winds and the prospect of heavy rain combined to knock major rail and road services out of service.

Travellers reported being stuck on trains for hours on end as several of the country's major arteries, including the west coast main line, were shut down.

Around 130,000 homes and businesses were without power last night, with 16 severe flood warnings still in place along the Thames and in Somerset.

Heavy rain is now forecast to fall over the next few days thanks to two storms currently heading across the Atlantic.

The storm has claimed at least one life, a man in his 70s, who was electrocuted while attempting to move a tree which brought down power cables.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23133[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23134[/ATTACH]

More images and full story http://HEREhtml

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest40285

Was talking to my Mum on the phone this morning, she said the waves were so big that they were knocking the chimney pots off, scarey sh!t, feel for all the people flooded out, going to get worse apparantly

Guest Guest 47403

Watched the one show last night and didn't quite realise the severity of some of the flooding, the media (or the bloody government) haven't given it the coverage it deserves tbh, there are lots of people who haven't been able to get back into there homes since before Christmas.

Some serious investment required by the government to stop it happening as bad again.

Guest Guest 47403

It quite a nice day today where I am in Yorkshire sun is out but a bit windy, but more rain forecast just about everywhere over the weekend.............definitely no hosepipe ban this summer!

Yes but dredging any rivers wouldn't have prevented this, would've just put it off a few days. The water table is at groundlevel instead of 25m below, hence nowhere for rainwater to go, sinkholes appearing in peoples drives and in the middle of motorways, cattle being rescued from farmland and sewage bubbling up everywhere.

If they hadn't put us on a bloody ban last year we'd have used more water and wouldn't have this issue ;)

Guest Guest66881
Yes but dredging any rivers wouldn't have prevented this, would've just put it off a few days. The water table is at groundlevel instead of 25m below, hence nowhere for rainwater to go, sinkholes appearing in peoples drives and in the middle of motorways, cattle being rescued from farmland and sewage bubbling up everywhere.

If they hadn't put us on a bloody ban last year we'd have used more water and wouldn't have this issue ;)

Crystal balls at the met office i think not.

Crystal balls at the met office i think not.

Remember poor old Michael Fish:

In a broadcast on October 15 1987, Mr Fish told viewers: "Earlier on today, a woman rang the BBC and said she'd heard that there was a hurricane on the way. Well if you're watching, don't worry - there isn't." The worst storm to hit south-east England since 1703 followed the forecast.

Watched the one show last night and didn't quite realise the severity of some of the flooding, the media (or the bloody government) haven't given it the coverage it deserves tbh, there are lots of people who haven't been able to get back into there homes since before Christmas.

Some serious investment required by the government to stop it happening as bad again.

Same here - I was pretty oblivious really until I watched that, Scotland must be one of the driest places in the country - bizarre!

I saw a thing saying it might be dangerous to even be in the water because of sewage - diseases etc. Horrible

Yes - personally I don't think people have fully woken up to that risk yet. They were testing the flood water in someones house in Wraysbury, and it was a mega colony of fecal bacteria. I think we associate disease with other countries, not our own, and aren't clued onto the fact that we really shouldn't be wading around in our germ infested stale water filled properties.

I am going to be a horrible person, however cannot help having a snigger that the wonderful south is getting the battering, the people who think the northern parts are another world never to be considered :wink:

Oooh, is that comment not worthy of an infraction coming from a Mod?

tree.jpg

:mask:

This thread is in the UK News and Chat. Lets get back on topic please, its not an Aus v UK, an Aus thread or a thread to start bickering about who posts what links.

UK storms and weather was the OP :) Thank you.

Archived