WA still topping other states

I don't mind Perth and am quite happy living here but i am realistic about what it is like for people arriving here. Some on here would have you believe it is some kind of paradise where you will treble your wages and never be out of work. So lets use slightly above avg figures to explain to those who have no clue what they are in for but praise the place. The reality is that you come here with your life savings which you will burn through until you get work which will be lower paid than you are told by people on here. Lets say you have $100K after selling up in the UK which you will be doing for less than those a few years back before the recession and they had $3 to pound etc. OK so after start up costs you have $70k for deposit, to live anywhere that's not 50Km plus from CBD you pay at least $500k so you have mortgage of $430k that costs around $2700 pm to pay the mortgage. lets say you earn $90k( well above avg actually) pa that gives you a take home pay of $5600 pm roughly that means you pay almost half your salary on mortgage before you even take in to account other bills. Here you have pay the schools contributions, dental is expensive so if you are a family these costs mount up. Your salary will quickly dissapear

A reminder...this...your original argument, highlighted in red is what I disagree with....the reason? personal experience, I know lots of people who live well within 50 km of Perth cbd in perfectly respectable homes and areas.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of young couples on WHV do end up in Britdaloup. Most do go to Northbridge though.

Perth is where everyone i know has migrated to,owing to the fact i'll likely be working outside i opted for somewhere more seasonal in SA tho,as im not a massive sun lover tbh,but my older PR 136 allows me to go anywhere,so ive been taking a bit more interest in Perth as i know theres more work there,at seemingly a higher rate than SA,whether this it cancelled out by the higher property/rental prices tho i wouldn't know,SA does seem a fair bit cheaper tho to be fair

Another reason ive been looking at Perth a bit more is there seems a good gang on here from there,so who knows?

Like i say tho,the whole thing is dependant on my hse selling,so i may well be worrying about something that might not come to fruition anyway,in fact it likely wont,thats me just being realistic,not negative

The journey to aus has changed a lot in the last cpl of years for me anyway tbh,without getting the violin out,i "was" migrating as a cpl,but now im single,i wonder how many would still choose to move 10,000 miles away,at 51 yoa,as a single,also taking into account that like i said,i'll be mortgage free here fairly soon,but not in aus? it takes a bit of thinking about for people to picture themselves in my position

As it is,im still going to have one last go tho,but it "doesn't" make financial sense tbh,but then ive never been "that" arsed about money,more an easier life,being mortgage free here will allow me that easier life,so if i dont make it to aus,i'll console nyself with that fact,and maybe look to buy an apartment outright in Spain while prices are so low,we'll see!

Well lets put it this way..... Most of us on here are families so we want decent schools for our kids don't we? If i was single a flat in Joondaloup for 350K might be fine. Like i say I am your average family and want my kids to go to a school that is not below avg and live in a decent area,where can i go for under $500k? You were the one who put me down for suggesting this so back up what you say please instead of trying to rubbish me as a Perth hater?

Well lets put it this way..... Most of us on here are families so we want decent schools for our kids don't we? If i was single a flat in Joondaloup for 350K might be fine. Like i say I am your average family and want my kids to go to a school that is not below avg and live in a decent area,where can i go for under $500k? You were the one who put me down for suggesting this so back up what you say please instead of trying to rubbish me as a Perth hater?

I refer you back to your original quote and my original reply. Stop moving the goalposts

Guest guest30085
Perth is where everyone i know has migrated to,owing to the fact i'll likely be working outside i opted for somewhere more seasonal in SA tho,as im not a massive sun lover tbh,but my older PR 136 allows me to go anywhere,so ive been taking a bit more interest in Perth as i know theres more work there,at seemingly a higher rate than SA,whether this it cancelled out by the higher property/rental prices tho i wouldn't know,SA does seem a fair bit cheaper tho to be fair

Another reason ive been looking at Perth a bit more is there seems a good gang on here from there,so who knows?

Like i say tho,the whole thing is dependant on my hse selling,so i may well be worrying about something that might not come to fruition anyway,in fact it likely wont,thats me just being realistic,not negative

The journey to aus has changed a lot in the last cpl of years for me anyway tbh,without getting the violin out,i "was" migrating as a cpl,but now im single,i wonder how many would still choose to move 10,000 miles away,at 51 yoa,as a single,also taking into account that like i said,i'll be mortgage free here fairly soon,but not in aus? it takes a bit of thinking about for people to picture themselves in my position

As it is,im still going to have one last go tho,but it "doesn't" make financial sense tbh,but then ive never been "that" arsed about money,more an easier life,being mortgage free here will allow me that easier life,so if i dont make it to aus,i'll console nyself with that fact,and maybe look to buy an apartment outright in Spain while prices are so low,we'll see!

If you come to perth Pabs, then if I have a house by then, you can rent the garden shed off me if you like. I'll only charge you $300 a week and then you might be able to afford one pint a week with your left over $50. Bet you can't beat that offer ;)

If you come to perth Pabs, then if I have a house by then, you can rent the garden shed off me if you like. I'll only charge you $300 a week and then you might be able to afford one pint a week with your left over $50. Bet you can't beat that offer ;)

Its likely the only offer i'll get off a female in Perth,so yes i'll take it lol

Guest Guest 47403

See despite what everyone else says about you I reckon you're a gud un at heart :wink:

Guest guest30085
See despite what everyone else says about you I reckon you're a gud un at heart :wink:

If I was a good un ... I'd offer him the spare room :wink:

What do you mean 'despite what everyone says about me?' :wideeyed::no:

Guest Guest 47403
If I was a good un ... I'd offer him the spare room :wink:

What do you mean 'despite what everyone says about me?' :wideeyed::no:

You wanna hear what they say when your not around....................shocking tbh! :chatterbox:

Somewhere that the school is above avg and i don't have to spend over an hour to get to the city. If you disagree with my earlier question such as others feel free to prove me wrong...................

IMO then no you can't get a house for under $450k with an above average school within an hours commute of the City. However, you couldn't 9 years ago either. I think it's your delivery rather than your content that irks people the most. Many people think they can come here and replicate what they had in the UK and when it doesn't happen because they clearly didn't research enough then suddenly it's the fault of the destination rather than the fault of the person. IMO of course.

Archived