dependent aged 20

tigerfeet

Hi has anyone successfully been granted a 190 visa to include a dependent over 18. My son is 20 and finished college in November (3 months ago) as didn't like the course he was on. Up until that was still in education . I have evidence from his bank account that we support him and has no other income. I have mail to prove that he lives with us. What else would I needto supply as we are in the middle of up loading documents . We also have our medicals next week so are near the final hurdle. Hope someone can help who have been through this kind of experience. Thanks

We successfully got visa for our sons in their 20s both were in f-t ed when we applied and we had evidence of monthly cash transfer etc.

BUT they must still be dependent on you at grant and the CO can ask for further evidence down the line. Our visa took 6 months and in that time our eldest graduated. Fortunately he is going to do a PHd so we had evidence of him applying for that in hand just in case but the CO didn't ask in the end.

i would get him to apply for something that starts in the autumn so you can say he is I between courses. That will give you a breather. In the meantime he must remain dependent on you till grant. It hurt but I told my son he couldn't get work until the visa was granted, as once they get a wage it becomes difficult. Can you support your son until then?

I encouraged mine to do voluntary work so at least he was out of the house! An unpaid internship might also work, but if he gets a full time job then it will be difficult to prove he is more dependent on you than any other source.

Thanks for that i will get him to apply tomorrow. The reason he hadn't applied for anything else is because we were hopping to be in Australia as soon as visa is granted. What about the evidence you submitted , are the bank statements, proof of address, and his letters to shown he was on a course till November enough or is there more evidence we need . Did they scrutinise you a lot for all the evidence . Thanks

Unless your son is in full time education, it is going to be almost impossible for him to be classed as a dependent. He would be entitled to benefits and therefore you would be seen to be voluntarily supporting him. The full time education thing works because in the UK, full time students (under a certain age - 25 I think) are not entitled to any benefits and must be supported by parents. Being between courses would also not work - the student must actually have enrolled and commenced on a course to count as dependent. Is it too late for your sone to return to his course? Otherwise I'd say he has stuffed up the visa process royally.

You are allowed to be between courses, what about yp in the summer break between a levels and uni.

It can depend on the interpretation though. Might be worth running it past a good agent for advice.

they need to be dependent when you apply and when the visa is granted remember.

we sent letters from uni, copies of student cards and bank statements over a 12 month period showing our regular allowance and no other income.

You are allowed to be between courses, what about yp in the summer break between a levels and uni.

This is the one exception and is allowed only if the student leaves school at the end of the school year and has accepted a place at a university that is due to start in September/October. In this situation, the full time education is deemed to be continuous. But once you quit or complete a course, you are out of full time education and no longer deemed to be in full time education. You will not be in full time education again until you enrol in a new course.

I have also supplied my daughter's tax return since she was 18. This is a great document to show that there is no income or any other form of government help. In our case we got a direct grant, without CO. I thought it will be more difficult because of the dependent older than 18 but we were pleasantly surprised.

Can he still get a letter that he was full time the last 3 years?

I remember that another member mentioned before that her daughter graduated couple of months before they applied and her other daughter was a part time student but they got the grant. Hope you get an "understanding" case officer.

My sister is 24 and she got her PR under my parents as a dependent, but she is in school studying for her masters degree. Evidence of being in school (school ID, registration forms, Transcripts, letter of enrollment, etc) was all that was needed to support the application. That said, she already had a 457 visa as a dependant for 6 years prior, so i guess they just figured "yea, we know she is a dependant as per initial records".

Full-time education is the only sure-fire way to prove dependency, as most of the other posters have said.

Archived