Perth (like or dislike)

Wannabeinaussie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like - all the open park areas

dislike - on the go coffee cups with the lids on

Ha ha... hadn't thought about that! I drink coffee so rarely that when I do, it has to be in a cup or mug and I need to be seated somewhere with a lovely view!!! Like Lo Quay in Wilson....

mmm - the point being, I think, that FOC sees only warts, but occasionally will admit to seeing some pretty warts

Nah he only sees warts and makes them big time warts...... I actually think he doesn't want to be here and has to be for some reason or another so he gets his jollys off by bagging the whole place. Quite sad really!

Nah he only sees warts and makes them big time warts...... I actually think he doesn't want to be here and has to be for some reason or another so he gets his jollys off by bagging the whole place. Quite sad really!

Wrong I think he's very balanced. The problem is you don't agree with him so you disguard any think that is wrote thinkng your right because someone see's something from a different angle

Thinking obviously not your forte if that's the best you can come up with. Please don't speak on my behalf. My only suggestion would be to keep personal comments to yourself or between personal notifications with others and you'll do fine. A bit sad. My comments are the real deal. Critique them at leisure and I'll gladly debate the issue. Perhaps you get your jollys and find belonging in being part of the love it all too bits gang. Good oh for you. Still the odd one or two able to maintain an independent and open mind with the ability to view the pro and cons as they are.

What are your views on the average wage, to live comfy??

An almost impossible question to answer without knowing how much capital you are bringing with you, whether you want to rent or buy a house, where you want to live and what you lifestyle is.

Generally speaking if you own a house in the UK worth £250k or more and have at least 20% equity in it then your salary in Perth will need to be about 2.5 times your UK salary (£ to $) to live a similar lifestyle in one of the outer suburbs in a standard 4x2 bungalow.

Another way to look at it is with a family income of less than $150k you will get Centrelink benefits so personally I wouldn't want to be on less than that but if you get benefits to top up your income in the UK then I guess it's no different. Do bear in mind not all visa's entitle you to benefits in which case you might really struggle.

Scarborough / Doubleview will cost between 600k + or 1 million for houses closer to beach.. slightly less for smaller units .. $ 500pw for basic house or $350 for unit very ironic considering 30 years ago you could pick up a scarb beach house for less than 50K, used to be a beach bum suburb that families stayed away from.

What kind of wage would you say is reasonable, we have a little boy aged 2, we want to live comfy, occasional outings, family time, the occasional beer or two!!! We are looking at living near Scarborough beach any places I should avoid??

As I posted earlier if you want to buy a 'family home' near Scarborough Beach it will cost around $900k so assuming you'd have a 20% deposit you'd need a family income of around $200-250k and one hell of a mortgage to maintain. Unless you have a lot of capital of course.

Scarborough Beach is not really a location for a 'normal' family on an 'average' salary. No where on the coast is until you get a long way out of the CBD. Even inland from Scarborough Beach to places like Joondana (where we first stayed on arrival - I know a great value short-term let there if you need one) is way above the average house price.

Dont want to shatter you dream but if you want to be close to beach you need to look further north of cbd. If you can secure a combined income of $150 + then that will only afford you a place in Kinross/ Currambine/Butler /Clarkson comes to mind of affordability. Its about 45min to an hour + from CBD. Otherwise if you are lucky to secure income of 200K+ then you can afford Scarborough.

Above poster correct. It used to be a burb that attracted the young and the issues around that particular group. Still a little dodgy but plans are a foot to upgrade the area, as well they might, considering the massive prices asked to live there now.

I always find it difficult to advise on how much but an average wage may prove a little tough, unless of course both work. That should bring you up to the $130,000 to $150,000 mark which would prove fine.

I have no idea about the welfare payments in the form of child benefits you'd get if on a permanent visa, but child care would I expect swallow all of that and more.

I'd look carefully at the rentals on offer and see what (and where)you feel comfortable in paying. As I understand it, there has been a slight decline in rental prices which is great news.

Can I ask why Scarborough? If you have a two year old it's not really the best location - the beaches along that stretch are surf beaches so not safe for little ones so you're going to have a beach on your doorstep but end up travelling up to Cottesloe or Hillary's for somewhere safe to paddle :)

Archived