Perth (like or dislike)

Wannabeinaussie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be wrong to say I dislike Perth but after living there for 4 years I decided it offered us as a family less than the UK.

Perth has no more 'thugs' than any other city and whilst drug / alcohol problems are rife amongst young people again I'd say no worse than anywhere else. I think what is crucial for potential migrants to understand is that it's no better either. Of course there are particular areas of the UK that would be significantly worse but that in itself is not a good reason to move to Perth/Australia.

Rather than thinking about Perth as a city it is better to think of it as a region or a county with numerous cities/towns and your experience of 'Perth' will depend on where you live and work. When we went on our reccie we 'disliked' an awful lot of the suburbs which are not unlike the 'new towns' or 'dormitory' towns in the UK - the time commuting, the lack of character/culture/entertainment. I think this is where the 'ghost town after 6pm' idea comes from - now I've never lived in these places but with friends all over Perth I would tend to say there is a lot of truth in it.

We chose to live near Fremantle which I 'like' very much but of course that comes at a price. And brings it's own problems as the more vibrant areas have more crime issues, my DH was assaulted by youths on our doorstep who were trying to break-in. But then we lived in a village in Scotland with the lowest crime rate in the Central Scotland area and we were broken into whilst on holiday - it can happen anywhere.

The over-riding culture does seem to be 'early to bed, early to rise' but if you're a 20-something there are still clubs until the early hours of the morning, although not 24 hour like London. These tend to be in Northbridge rather than Perth CBD which adds to the 'ghost town' feel - I remember on our reccie coming out of a cinema around 7pm and everywhere was closed, the only place we could eat was McDonald's and the CBD had quite a menacing feel. It is starting to change though and some quite nice places have opened up in the last few years, the re-development plans in progress will improve things more.

My summary is Perth does not offer a 'safer' or 'better' environment to bring up children than a decent town in the UK and as an adult offered me much less in the way of entertainment (maybe it was just the people I met but most entertainment seemed to go on at home with other couples and their kids - all rather tame!)

A well balanced post Lady R!

We are coming from chesterfield and heading to Scarborough beach, I have read lots of good opinions on here, I am going with an open mind and definitely not expecting to much!!

An open mind is the best thing you can bring with you Wannabeinaussie. Everyone is very different and has very different thoughts, needs, likes and dislikes.

Perth works for me and my family, but I can understand that it doesn't for others who perhaps feel their intellectual needs are not met here - or those who are just so unhappy with life that wherever they lived wouldn't work... or even a mix of both!!

I first lived in Perth in the late 1960's and the place was so dead and backward I couldn't wait to move onto Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane,Alice, Darwin...... Spent a year here again in 1974/5 and was blown away by how much it had changed in such a few short years and the small town attitude was slowly dissipating and I loved it greatly. Came back to visit family and friends a few times through the 1980's, and when the opportunity came up to emigrate in 1991, took it with both hands. So I have seen the changes and evolution of a small town into a modern multicultural city. I like that it is still a bit "country town" in some ways, but side by side with that is this modern cultural change happening and I like that too. I love that finally Perth is growing the apartment lifestyle in the CBD as some people just aren't suburban dwellers and need to be within walking distance of their city work place and don't want to have to maintain a house and garden etc, preferring to eat out and enjoy the outdoors of central Perth. I love that with the new Perth Arena we are getting some amazing international acts and celebrities.... prices for seats though can be a bit much. I love that although Perth is classed as the world's most isolated city, you can fly cheaply to so many cities in Asia and the east coast of Oz in 5 hours or so and have a brilliant holiday. I also love that there are so many wonderful places here in WA to visit that cost you nothing. There are so many wonderful beaches and parks to visit and campin/carvanning is a great way to do this once you get out of the metro area.

Yes there is crime here - where isn't there? There are suburbs and areas that you would be stupid to go anywhere near... so how is that different from areas in parts of any other big city in the world? I have friends in the Police here who were in the Met in London and who say that their work life here is a breeze after what they were dealing with in London.

Racism... well I have to say that I have friends, and now family members, who are from various races with various colour skins and we all get on well with each other and respect each other and our values and religions. I live in a suburb that has many races... my street alone has Brits, Aussies, Thai, Chinese, Malays, Sri Lankans, oh yes and a few Aussie families.... From my observations and personal experiences though, through work and social situations, is that the racism here is in some ways of the reverse variety... by that I mean the part-Aboriginals and their chip on the shoulder attitude and they are possibly a large part of the burglary crime scene.. the newly admitted Muslim migrants wanting the rest of the area they are in to accept their views and dress etc. I have friends who are Aboriginal and others who are Muslim who do not think like this and who are ashamed and angry at how their respective "race" is reacting. But I guess this is just something that is happening world-wide, so Perth is no different in this.

Yes the weather in summer can be unbearably hot and you have to hibernate indoors with the aircon belting out, but it will be for days - possibly a week... it won't be for months that you have to hibernate from the cold and wet in UK. And yes it will be cold in winter and houses here are not built for the cold... but you adjust and come to love ug boots. Mind you I was one of the people who suffered from SAD in UK - although a condition undiagnosed until the mid 2000's I now realise why I spent winter in UK in total depression.

Lots of fors and againsts.... but it is what you make it. My children were 5 and 8 when we arrived in WA in 1991.... they are now well adjusted adults at 28 and 31 - have good careers and have travelled the world extensively. One for career reasons is currently living in Queensland, but will return to Perth in a few years as he loves it here more than anywhere else he has lived around Australia. The other, who is the elder, says she will not live out of Perth again and is now, with her husband, buying a house here.

So my final comment would be, if you can afford to come for a Reccie trip do so - if you can't, just arrive with that mind very open as you have stated. If you give it your best shot and you find it isn't what you were looking for or wanted, well just admit that you gave it your best shot and go back to UK. As I said at the beginning, Perth (or indeed Oz) isn't for everyone. So just enjoy your experience whatever happens!

Might depend how old you are. There are plenty of pubs around, not as many as the UK but still enough. My eldest certainly spends plenty of time out with friends at pubs and clubs. They are expensive and we find we'll maybe go down to Hillary's and make 2 pints last for an hour or more whereas in the UK it would be 4 pints. Good from a health point of view too I guess.:wink:

The pubs my youngster goes too are popular, especially weekends and they love a Sunday session here, where the drinking kicks off at lunchtime and a lot of the pubs that are popular, near the beach and with beer gardens, tend to have queues to get in after around 3:00 on Sundays and probably 8:00ish Friday, Saturday.

Because the pubs and clubs are so expensive a lot of the younger people tend to go to someones house first and have a few before they go out. My son and friends come round ours quite a bit, get some cheap booze from the bottle shop, sit outside and have a few before they go out. You might have heard a few stories about binge drinking and believe me I would be doing exactly the same thing if I was getting ripped off in the pubs and clubs like the youngsters (well everybody really) are.

One of my sons friends has a flask that looks exactly like an iphone. He stands in the queue at a night club and pretends to be talking on it while he gets past the bouncers, then gets a coke and keeps topping it up with whatever he's got in the flask.:biggrin:

Northbridge reminds me of being on Holiday in Spain. Warm weather, everyone relaxed and looking for a good time, plenty of places to choose from. Heard it can be a bit dicey when a few drunks are turning out, early in the morning or really late, but where in the world do you get a partying place in a City and not have those problems? Personally never had any problems. We work in Sydney a lot and stay in Kings Cross and I've been out really late there on a lot of occasions and never had any trouble either. That's got a lot worse rep than anywhere in Perth, probably the worst in Aus.

Paul the more I read your posts, the more I like you! You are my kinda parent and general all round guy!

As if Perth is any different for single or divorced women...oh dear. Have you lot never been in a 'club' in the UK or Europe. Single or divorced older women are the same worldover. Finding a life partner at that stage of your life is demanding. Who says all people want the same thing too...this debate makes no sense to me.

If I wanted to party hard with my girl friends im sure i could but tbh at this point i prefer to go out occasionally sometimes on big nights but often just for dinner. All the opportunities available in the UK are available here in terms of social life. People do get together in eachothers houses for dinner and bbqs in the UK you know??!!I did often...even when I was younger.

Actually it is rather different indeed. And yes know the single scene from several countries and Perth was a hard nut to crack. I have never met so many women down on their men as here. If you were single and knowing the scene you may be able to make a more accurate comment on being single in Perth. We know a lot of women who are and are Aussie and don't get off on it. The social aspect varies greatly from London, let alone Europe for reasons I can elaborate on but that is not the topic.

That's good to hear. No-one was going to miss me on the thread about who would you miss if they left PIO.:wink:

No I never got a mention on that either.... but we both know that we are giving unbiased postings on many subjects on PIO and PP and that is all that matters. I don't have as much time to spend on the internet anyway now I am retired and out there doing stuff so I only catch up a few times a week and comment what catches my fancy.... you boy seem to comment along the lines of what I think and so your posts seem to catch my attention.... keep on with what you are doing as you are doing great.

A bit yesterday but continues unabated in Perth I guess. It is true you have to search for the action here, it is not apparent or as in the open as some other cities. Behind closed doors, being in the know with the right people all is possible in Perth.

Some of your posts intrigue me flag.:wink:

No one denies Perth has attractions as anywhere. Just as it is obvious Perth is under going rapid change, both with new developments in its CBD and surrounding environs. Has it enough to keep one occupied over a prolonged time? Debatable. If you are a bit of a homebody you'll likely be fine.

As discussed home entertaining is the go in the burbs but perhaps not to the extent that may be expected.(IMO) I can't say if it is different in one of the Brit enclaves in the outer areas or not. Many do indeed gravitate towards areas with high numbers of British born, something they would not approve of, I'm reasonably sure in suggesting if it were Polish doing likewise in their provincial cities at home. No matter, I stray from the point.

Perth attracted Brit's in the case of the Ten Pound Poms due to it being the first port of call in OZ, some couldn't wait to disembark from the cattle vessels that brought them, as well as the fine beaches visible from the ship, clear blue skies, cheaper houses and work.

My feeling later Brit's came to Perth for a mixture of reasons. Not least the pull/push factor. Many had relatives no matter how distant, neighbours, friends, friends of friends or just word of mouth through third parties. Perth was known until the early 00s as a place Brit's could big up their property considerably after selling their terrace if in a reasonable location back home. Sydney and Melbourne were always more expensive.

In more recent times it was the boom of course that further fanned the flames and the knowledge of more earnings. So many British tradesmen should ensure it not overly difficult for newbies to get leads on that front if not actual employment.

Not a lot different from the ethnic enclaves in UK. The Bangla's set up in Brick Lane area of London which enticed ever more to the area. Until today I believe Tower Hamlets has the largest Bangla population outside of Bangla Desh.

In turn Perth has a suburb with the highest concentration of any one overseas birth place in Australia. Those being Brit's.

Not sure if that suggests much either way, unless of course you get off on regional differences.

Oh no. I'm not gonna feel like the only single girl in the world there am I. Being single doesn't bother me, in fact I like it. Don't wanna feel excluded though.

Maybe I should ask if I can join cubs and after school clubs with jonny lol.

Debs

Debs never take on board the posts you get from some people on PIO who do not have a life... and the life they think they have is way above the rest of us!!!

Perth is the same as any other city in the world... there are many never been marrieds, single after a relationship gone wrong, single cos they are widowed or divorced.. if you want to move on there are clubs and things you can go to, but so many of us just meet with friends and find new friends and partners through this.

No one denies Perth has attractions as anywhere. Just as it is obvious Perth is under going rapid change, both with new developments in its CBD and surrounding environs. Has it enough to keep one occupied over a prolonged time? Debatable. If you are a bit of a homebody you'll likely be fine.

As discussed home entertaining is the go in the burbs but perhaps not to the extent that may be expected.(IMO) I can't say if it is different in one of the Brit enclaves in the outer areas or not. Many do indeed gravitate towards areas with high numbers of British born, something they would not approve of, I'm reasonably sure in suggesting if it were Polish doing likewise in their provincial cities at home. No matter, I stray from the point.

Perth attracted Brit's in the case of the Ten Pound Poms due to it being the first port of call in OZ, some couldn't wait to disembark from the cattle vessels that brought them, as well as the fine beaches visible from the ship, clear blue skies, cheaper houses and work.

My feeling later Brit's came to Perth for a mixture of reasons. Not least the pull/push factor. Many had relatives no matter how distant, neighbours, friends, friends of friends or just word of mouth through third parties. Perth was known until the early 00s as a place Brit's could big up their property considerably after selling their terrace if in a reasonable location back home. Sydney and Melbourne were always more expensive.

In more recent times it was the boom of course that further fanned the flames and the knowledge of more earnings. So many British tradesmen should ensure it not overly difficult for newbies to get leads on that front if not actual employment.

Not a lot different from the ethnic enclaves in UK. The Bangla's set up in Brick Lane area of London which enticed ever more to the area. Until today I believe Tower Hamlets has the largest Bangla population outside of Bangla Desh.

In turn Perth has a suburb with the highest concentration of any one overseas birth place in Australia. Those being Brit's.

Not sure if that suggests much either way, unless of course you get off on regional differences.

Wow what a sarcastic and sanctimonious post full of crap. FOC you need to do something about your attitude .... and if you don't like Perth and Oz as much as you always post, well I just don't understand why you are still here.

Debs never take on board the posts you get from some people on PIO who do not have a life... and the life they think they have is way above the rest of us!!!

Perth is the same as any other city in the world... there are many never been marrieds, single after a relationship gone wrong, single cos they are widowed or divorced.. if you want to move on there are clubs and things you can go to, but so many of us just meet with friends and find new friends and partners through this.

Same could be said from certain posts that big up Perth on every occasion and come down on contrary points expressed. Perth is not like every city in the world, just as cities vary between one another. Posters that pose questions deserve the full picture warts and all.

Archived