Short term rental - paying upfront??!!

garethevans

If you are new to the country,have yet to find work and cant prove an income i have heard of people doing this, normally though, they offer it rather than are told. Ive also read on here it is actually illegal for an agent to do this but cannot remember what State this applied to.

Cal x

If you are new to the country,have yet to find work and cant prove an income i have heard of people doing this, normally though, they offer it rather than are told. Ive also read on here it is actually illegal for an agent to do this but cannot remember what State this applied to.

Cal x

QLD does not allow an agent to ask for more than 1 month ( or 4 weeks) in advance, and a bond of the same time frame( amount). If this is a private landlord, I would really ask for more details, and any bond needs to be registered with a Residential tenancy Authority ....there are scams, and like you would back home, check someone out before parting with money.......you could also say could the owner rent it via an agent ( it might only cost the landlord 5% of rental income to do this, ) Any way, treat it as stranger danger, - do research on whom you give money to

Hi guys

We now finally have out visa which is fantastic news and think we have found a house to rent. However we have been asked to pay the 3 months upfront which is making me slightly nervous.

Is this normal?

Is this a short term furnished rental or an unfurnished long term rental? If it's a long term rental then being asked to pay any more than a month in advance is unusual and possible illegal. Also renting it to you may be illegal as you are supposed to see the property first.

If it's a short term rental then you will be expected to pay in full upfront, just as you have to with your airline ticket :biggrin:.

BB

Archived