Skilled migration where to start?

kai and Sam

The first step is to see if you qualify for a visa. So go to immi.gov.au and look at the lists - there are two. SOL and CSOL

If your job is on the SOL then you are potentially qualified for a visa. The nest thing to do is to google the number next to the occupation and this will tell you what is required to pass the skills assessment. On the immi web site there is also a visa wizard which will give some idea and covers things like age limits.

If you can tell us more about yourselves, we might be able to offer more advice

Hi, thanks for the response :-)

I'm 29 and currently work as a general builder. The only qualifications I've got is an NVQ level 2 in welding but I haven't done it for so long I don't think I'd want to put it as my nominated trade..

My strongest trade is in plumbing and if necessary I would be prepared to go back to college to gain the necessary qualifications. I'm thinking of doing my training and going gas safe registered anyway, although I'm not sure if this would be beneficial for the application?

A friend of mine recommended applying as a tiler as the testing is easier than the plumbing which is 9 hours long! Again if needed I'd be prepared to go to college and get the relevant qualifications...

My wife Sam is 28 and has NVQ level 3 in beauty therapy although for the last few years has been a house wife./

Will - 4

Chloe - 3

We've also done some property developing and have a couple of buy to let properties which is something we would look to pursue in Oz.

Thanks alot,

Kai

Hi, thanks for the response :-)

I'm 29 and currently work as a general builder. The only qualifications I've got is an NVQ level 2 in welding but I haven't done it for so long I don't think I'd want to put it as my nominated trade..

My strongest trade is in plumbing and if necessary I would be prepared to go back to college to gain the necessary qualifications. I'm thinking of doing my training and going gas safe registered anyway, although I'm not sure if this would be beneficial for the application?

A friend of mine recommended applying as a tiler as the testing is easier than the plumbing which is 9 hours long! Again if needed I'd be prepared to go to college and get the relevant qualifications...

My wife Sam is 28 and has NVQ level 3 in beauty therapy although for the last few years has been a house wife./

Will - 4

Chloe - 3

We've also done some property developing and have a couple of buy to let properties which is something we would look to pursue in Oz.

Thanks alot,

Kai

You are best off looking to apply under your actual application and ideally one that you have worked in recently as some skills assessments will want the work experience to be within a particular time frame. So I would start with building seeing as though that is what you are doing now, qualifications are not always necessary, sometimes experience can substitute.

So you need to identify possible occupations on the SOL or CSOL and then look into the skills assessment for that occupation to see if it is something you might be able to pass. The other thing is to note whether the occupation is on the SOL or only the CSOL, it is better to be on the SOL, so look into those occupations first.

Thanks Rupert, Plumbing is on the SOL. Although I currently have no qualifications in it I could prove I've been working as a plumber for 5 or 6 years. The test is supposed to be really tough but with a bit of revision I think I could pass it.

How do I find out what states are looking for what trades? do I apply to get in a specific state?

Thanks Rupert, Plumbing is on the SOL. Although I currently have no qualifications in it I could prove I've been working as a plumber for 5 or 6 years. The test is supposed to be really tough but with a bit of revision I think I could pass it.

How do I find out what states are looking for what trades? do I apply to get in a specific state?

You need to look at the state sponsorship lists, google to find them. The visa is the 190.

Just checked and couldn't find tiling on the list if trades so I think I'd apply as a plumber, I've worked for about 7 years in this trade but have no qualifications...

You need to prove your apprenticeship and quals city and guilds craft and advanced craft or your NVQ's, Vetasess are sh1t hot on this if your going to claim the points. You also have to prove your work experience in the trade in skills nomination.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little.

I know things have changed recently but a friend of mine has no qualifications as a plumber but has worked as one for 6 or 7 years. He said he applied as a plumber and just had to sit a test, which was apparently intense. Is this no longer the case and qualifications are now essential? Cheers

Once you are sure you HAVE the points and can PROVE the points, i.e IELTS, state nomination, state sponsorship, skills assessment, age, etc only then would I put an EOI in. Please don't quote me on that as I'm no expert. I am sure somebody will be along shortly who is a bit more in the know.

There is a list of state government websites on skillselect. Took me a while to find it as skillselect has been updated since I last looked but here it is.

http://skillselect.govspace.gov.au/2013/04/26/i-am-seeking-state-or-territory-government-nomination/

Plumbing is on the SOL do I need to submit a EOI?

Unless things have changed then you can fill out your EOI at any time and then just go back into it and update it as you pass skills assessment, IELTS etc. It doesn't put you in line for an invitation until you have met the minimum points/sponsorship requirements, just make sure you can prove everything you are claiming for.

I'm so confused!

I've just read that - If you are a citizen of the USA, UK, Canada, Republic of Ireland or New Zealand, you are not required to submit an IELTS assessment. That's off the Victoria web site, is it the same for all states? If for argument's sake I applied and was accepted by Victoria is that the only place I could go?

[h=3]That answered that question...

Live and work in Victoria for two years[/h]You, and any nominated dependants, must live in Victoria for the first two years of your visa. This two year period begins when you enter Australia permanently on the Skilled Nominated (190) visa, or if you are already onshore, when the visa is granted by DIBP.

I'm so confused!

I've just read that - If you are a citizen of the USA, UK, Canada, Republic of Ireland or New Zealand, you are not required to submit an IELTS assessment. That's off the Victoria web site, is it the same for all states? If for argument's sake I applied and was accepted by Victoria is that the only place I could go?

If you meet the minimum points requirements then you won't have to do an IELTS test. I had to do it as I only had 55 points so needed to boost it up to 60 that's why I sat it. I could have waited until August for extra points as I would have had 8 years in my skilled career but wanted the 60+ points ASAP so I could submit my EOI sooner.

for myself would the points be worked out per person or for the family? ie. would we need 60 points between us?

I'm not sure as I'm going over myself. I think it would be based on one person though but don't quote me on it. Have you looked to see how many points you have?

I currently haven't got any qualifications in what would be my nominated trade, would the test be sufficient?

I'm not sure what test you mean. But for a skills assessment I think you have to have qualifications in your chosen field if you are applying for a skilled visa 189/190