Time past by so quickly...2 years in and celebrating it!

silencio

It's unbelievable how quick 2 years have been passed by. We can’t take it for granted that our first 2 years are really over now!

From now on we’re ‘established’ Permanent Residents in terms of Australian policies withits ‘newly arrived resident’s waiting periods of 104 weeks’ and the 176 condition of ‘filling in 5 surveys in the first 2 years’.

Frankly speaking our ‘probation period’ as a PR is over and history!

From now on

- no longer exclusions from centrelink theoretically (luckily both of us have work currently)

- we’ve finished our state sponsorship requirements for SA

- we’ll get better premiums for car insurance (never had comprehensive therefore insurance

companies didn’t accept our 18 years crash free driving history from Europe)

- we can sponsor close relatives due to the ‘waiting period of 2 years’ applied until today

- we could obtain a 5 years RRV instead of only a 1 year RRV (just a worst case scenario)

- half way gone to put forward our yearned for citizenship application.

From now onwe are able to look back on our migration journey to South Australia.

Though we had our obstacles and job issues like many migrants we never gave up and let allow something to knock us over.

Actually we never looked back to our ‘old’ life in overseas. Homesickness, not at all, which is surprisingly for me because I used to be very close to my family and friends there. But at the same time ambivalently I always was a risk taker and an adventure-seeker which I think plays the bigger part within my personality momentarily.

We love Australia, we feel completely happy and grateful being here and having this kind of lifestyle with outdoor living, plenty of free and open spaces, beaches, friendly people, multiculturalism. We also got more and more inside knowledge how for instance the job market works here. The more Aussie certificates you gain the more employers will acknowledge the efforts migrants have done to adjust to the job market here.

It was a good opportunity of making a fresh start.

Everyone should give themselves at least 2 years, otherwise migrants miss out on the full picture.

Glad to hear things are going well for you and you are onward and upward.

That 2 year time frame can probably feel like a millstone round your neck a bit I'd imagine, so glad its passed for you now.

I like Adelaide. Been over here since Oct last year living but had visited a few times before so knew what I was coming to. Have to say its working for me also but I do hanker to see and try other places in Aus in future years. Perhaps only to visit but maybe to settle and live. Although NZ has a big pull for me aswell :)

Guest Southern Cross Personnel

Fantastic to see such a positive posting. And yes Adelaide is a fantastic city to live in. Congratulations on getting through the first two years and hopefully many more :)

Hi Snifter, other places in Australia are great, too. I absolutely agree with your opinion.

Hubby has family in Sydney and Perth and we have been to Sydney twice (hubby 3 times) and Perth once, as well as to Broome, Cairns and Uluru/Ayers Rock. Our favourite city are Perth and Fremantle not Adelaide, unfortunately to be honest.

• 11 months later...

Hi everybody,

unbelievable our third year is coming to an end. Actually, this year wasn’t that fast moving in my memory but now it’s over and gone with a lot of new experiences.

Last year we were about packing things to a move interstate to Perth after a lot of setbacks and Adelaide seemed to bring no luck to us jobwise. The city itself, people and nature, the beaches, etc. everything perfect just the job market a pain in the bum. After seriously networking with relatives in Perth and researching move companies the unbelievable happened when you expect it the least: we both could secure decent and stable jobs. First hubby, myself 6 month later.

We don’t work casual any longer and no recruitment companies involved like the years before.

During our casual positons we both could managed to obtain Australian certifications in addition to the already recognised European trades papers with either the Skills For All program (only gap payment) or Commonwealth Funding (zero contribution).

Hubby now has an Australian Diploma and I’ve got a Certificate IV which I can say from my experience is a door opener!

The best thing we decided late last year is going to find a house and we managed home loan and soon we will move into our own place which is awesome. This would never be possible where we came from, banks laughed at us.

Though all aspects turned out positive for us we never forget all the hurdles, concerns and setbacks we had especially in the beginning. Only true self-determination, resilience, savings and a strong believe in ourselves that Australia is our new home took us to where we are now.

My next threat will be approximately in 1 years time about the citizenship application. Let’s hope 2015 moves straight forward as 2014 did.

What I’ve learned is never give up, hang in, use your financial resources to skill up, make up an excellent resume and network with all people who come along your way.

Good luck for everyone.

Edited by silencio

Hi everybody,

unbelievable our third year is coming to an end. Actually, this year wasn’t that fast moving in my memory but now it’s over and gone with a lot of new experiences.

Last year we were about packing things to a move interstate to Perth after a lot of setbacks and Adelaide seemed to bring no luck to us jobwise. The city itself, people and nature, the beaches, etc. everything perfect just the job market a pain in the bum. After seriously networking with relatives in Perth and researching move companies the unbelievable happened when you expect it the least: we both could secure decent and stable jobs. First hubby, myself 6 month later.

We don’t work casual any longer and no recruitment companies involved like the years before.

During our casual positons we both could managed to obtain Australian certifications in addition to the already recognised European trades papers with either the Skills For All program (only gap payment) or Commonwealth Funding (zero contribution).

Hubby now has an Australian Diploma and I’ve got a Certificate IV which I can say from my experience is a door opener!

The best thing we decided late last year is going to find a house and we managed home loan and soon we will move into our own place which is awesome. This would never be possible where we came from, banks laughed at us.

Though all aspects turned out positive for us we never forget all the hurdles, concerns and setbacks we had especially in the beginning. Only true self-determination, resilience, savings and a strong believe in ourselves that Australia is our new home took us to where we are now.

My next threat will be approximately in 1 years time about the citizenship application. Let’s hope 2015 moves straight forward as 2014 did.

What I’ve learned is never give up, hang in, use your financial resources to skill up, make up an excellent resume and network with all people who come along your way.

Good luck for everyone.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us, your story is very inspiring! We are trying now for more than a year to get 190 visa. So many obstacles had to be overcome, sometimes bringing us to a point of desperation. Right now we are about to submit our nomination papers to NT, keeping our fingers crossed, as we see that a lot of people are getting a deny. But we will keep on fighting for our dream, like you did.

Best of luck!

Dmitri & Kate