Skills Select and Qualifications

Robbouk

Hi

Confused again, Visa 489

Does your 'highest qualification' have to be in your nominated profession for the points to count?

The Australian Computer Society has already said my BTEC in Business & Finance does not count as towards a professional qualification when they are assessing my skills for a nominated Visa, which I cannot argue with, BUT completing the 'Expression of Interest', you are asked to enter your highest qualification, so is that for 'general education'?

This is the passage that concerns me from http://skillselect.govspace.gov.au/2013/03/07/points-for-educational-qualification/

"Any other qualificationYou can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority."

They certainly dont make this easy!!!!!!!

Edited by Robbouk

You can claim points for your highest qualification even if it is completely unrelated to your nominated occupation. Take for example, someone who has trade qualifications (10 points) and is applying for a visa on the bass of a skills assessment in that trade. If they also have a completely unrelated degree, e.g. an Arts degree, they can claim 15 points for the degree instead of only 10 points for the trade qualification (not in addition to the 10 points though).

You can claim points for your highest qualification even if it is completely unrelated to your nominated occupation. Take for example, someone who has trade qualifications (10 points) and is applying for a visa on the bass of a skills assessment in that trade. If they also have a completely unrelated degree, e.g. an Arts degree, they can claim 15 points for the degree instead of only 10 points for the trade qualification (not in addition to the 10 points though).

That made me smile, can I just confirm though. I am applying for a 489 as an ICT Business Analyst, the Australian Computer Society has rightly so said that my BTEC First Diploma in Business & Finance does not qualify as a professional qualification and therefore I need to complete an RPL (ok, more work, more money and another hoop). As part of my 'Expression of Interest' I can add my BTEC in the qualifications section hoping that it is equivalent to an AQF IV or III (which should give me the 10 points i need).

Any help and advice will stop this grey head getting greyer.

Guest guest30085

Hi

You can claim points for a qualification which is not part of your nominated occupation assessment, but you need to be careful as you haven't got confirmation of where your qualification equates to on the Australian Qualification Framework. If you claim points for it in your EOI, then the case officer decides it does not equate then you lose your visa fee. I claimed points for my degree, which was unrelated to my nominated occupation, but the assessing authority had confirmed it was equivalent to an Oz degree.

If you are really unclear on whether your qualification will qualify you for 10 points etc, could you not take the IELTS English test to gain more points. You'd only need the general test and will gain 10 points for all 7s or 20 points for all 8s etc.

Edited by guest30085
Stupid predictive text

Hi

You can claim points for a qualification which is not part of your nominated occupation assessment, but you need to be careful as you haven't got confirmation of where your qualification equates to on the Australian Qualification Framework. If you claim points for it in your EOI, then the case officer decides it does not equate then you lose your visa fee. I claimed points for my degree, which was unrelated to my nominated occupation, but the assessing authority had confirmed it was equivalent to an Oz degree.

If you are really unclear on whether your qualification will qualify you for 10 points etc, could you not take the IELTS English test to gain more points. You'd only need the general test and will gain 10 points for all 7s or 20 points for all 8s etc.

Hi

Thanks for replying

So, this is the points break down

10 points for Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subclass 489

15 points for Age Range

10 points for English Language (took IELTS, let myself down on Reading with a 7.5, Listening 9, Writing 8 & Speaking 9 - overall 8.5)

15 points on Overseas Working Experience (26 years in ICT)

5 points on Partner Skills Qualifications (Registered Nurse - newly qualified)

Equaling 55 points

If I can add 10 points for the BTEC First Diploma, then I can go over the magic 60 points, or I could retake my IELTS.

So if anyone knows anyone that can help mework out what the Assessing Authority will see an old (1988) BTEC First Diploma in Business & Finance as, then I can have more confidence on my points award.

Edited by Robbouk
tidy up

Because there is a degree of doubt regarding your eligibility for 10 points for your BTEC First Diploma, you should seriously consider forgetting it and going for more IELTS points instead - you're pretty close to getting an additional 10 points for all 8s if you do some practice, particularly on the Reading module.

There have been a number of PIO threads on the subject of overclaiming points e.g.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/156621-overclaiming-eoi-instant-application-refusal.html This one started by Alan Collett (Go Matilda) - one of the most highly respected RMAs around

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/170778-points-discrepancy.html This one has a number of posts that are highly relevant to your dilemma

Because there is a degree of doubt regarding your eligibility for 10 points for your BTEC First Diploma, you should seriously consider forgetting it and going for more IELTS points instead - you're pretty close to getting an additional 10 points for all 8s if you do some practice, particularly on the Reading module.

There have been a number of PIO threads on the subject of overclaiming points e.g.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/156621-overclaiming-eoi-instant-application-refusal.html This one started by Alan Collett (Go Matilda) - one of the most highly respected RMAs around

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/170778-points-discrepancy.html This one has a number of posts that are highly relevant to your dilemma

Thanks for all your help and advice, I am leaning towards retake ofthe IELTS if i cannot get official confirmation from anyone.

It's hard to assess what a qualification would be equivalent to as it depends on a number of different factors, including things like the standard length of time it would take someone to complete that particular qualification and the enrolment criteria. If you can supply that information someone may be able to advise you further.

If in doubt, Vetassess offer a points advice service where you can have your qualification assessed: http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_fees_payment.cfm#PointsTestAdvice2. At $253 it's not cheap but at least you'll have peace of mind when making the application.

I don't mean to cause any extra doubt but please ensure you check the criteria in great detail regarding the issuing of Partner Skill points. Has your partner taken their skills assessment?

Always wise to check, double check and triple check anything that you're allocated points for before submitting the EOI. Loads of people over-claim completely by accident or through not fully understanding the system and often they don't realise until the application has been made, by which point it's too late and even a refund is unlikely.

All the best,

It's hard to assess what a qualification would be equivalent to as it depends on a number of different factors, including things like the standard length of time it would take someone to complete that particular qualification and the enrolment criteria. If you can supply that information someone may be able to advise you further.

If in doubt, Vetassess offer a points advice service where you can have your qualification assessed: http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_fees_payment.cfm#PointsTestAdvice2. At $253 it's not cheap but at least you'll have peace of mind when making the application.

I don't mean to cause any extra doubt but please ensure you check the criteria in great detail regarding the issuing of Partner Skill points. Has your partner taken their skills assessment?

Always wise to check, double check and triple check anything that you're allocated points for before submitting the EOI. Loads of people over-claim completely by accident or through not fully understanding the system and often they don't realise until the application has been made, by which point it's too late and even a refund is unlikely.

All the best,

Thanks Adam

I pay for my BTEC to be quantified. As for the partner points, she is a newly qualified Registered Nurse (3 years Bachelors Degree), and we have written to the British Nursing Council for proof of her qualification and membership, as far as I understand, we then send that the Australian version to get confirmation and gain those 5 points.

In theory, if my good 'old' BTC is of use, the I don't need those 5 points.

Does anyone know if you get an automatic invite at 60 points, or do they work down the points from the highest scorers?

'O' levels (even 'A' levels) count for nothing - they're just high school qualifications equivalent to Australia's Year 10 and Year 12.

Thanks Adam

I pay for my BTEC to be quantified. As for the partner points, she is a newly qualified Registered Nurse (3 years Bachelors Degree), and we have written to the British Nursing Council for proof of her qualification and membership, as far as I understand, we then send that the Australian version to get confirmation and gain those 5 points.

In theory, if my good 'old' BTC is of use, the I don't need those 5 points.

Does anyone know if you get an automatic invite at 60 points, or do they work down the points from the highest scorers?

In order to qualify for Partner Skills points, your wife must undergo a full skills assessment including IELTS which leads me to a question...

If she can qualify for Partner Skills points, could you nominate her as the Primary Applicant? She lacks experience points but if she's a bit younger than you and falls into an age range with higher points and can get Superior English points instead of the bare Proficient English she needs for skills assessment and gets a guaranteed 15 points for her degree, she would get to 60 points and you wouldn't even need to go for a provisional visa.

And state sponsored visa applicants with confirmed state sponsorship get automatic invitations even with the bare minimum 60 points (provided of course if their occupation hasn't reached its ceiling).

Edited by Ozmaniac