ACS - Skill level requirement met date

expat457

Hi guys,

Just wanted to check whether my thinking on skill level requirement met date is correct.

( assumption : degree assessed as an ICT Major ).

I've started my work in July 2010.

I have graduated in January 2011.

Based on extract from point 5 from "Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants" document on ACS website :

If your work experience is completed before the completion date of your qualification, the “Skill Level

Requirement Met Date” will be determined on the earliest date that both the relevant work experience

and the qualification are completed.

Am I right assuming that my Skill level requirement met date would be July 2012 as I have completed 2yrs of relevant work experience and my degree by that time?

My concern was that I've started working before graduation but they've updated the document mentioned above and now it's more clear.

• 7 months later...

Hi expat457,

Earliest date in your case is January 2011, as both criteria should be checked. Additionaly, ACS will deduct 2 years post graduation as "non-skilled".

To conclude, provided that your experience is in the same (or closely related) occupation with the one for which you are requesting assessment, you will receive points only for experience aquired after January 2013.

Sorry for the bad news.

I see now that something changed regarding how ACS is doing the assessment. You can review page 5 from this document https://acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/7319/Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf.

Based on this I would say that "met date" is indeed July 2012.

When I did my assessment, experience obtained prior/during to education was not considered.

ACS skills assessments are not that simple any more. This issue as to when you are considered “skilled” and whether they will require 1, 2, 4, 5 or 6 years of experience will depend on a number of factors. The main factor being the qualification; where it was undertaken, the level, the major and whether it is considered closely related to the nominated occupation.

As with many Migration related issues, there is no one size fits all approach.

ACS skills assessments are not that simple any more. This issue as to when you are considered “skilled” and whether they will require 1, 2, 4, 5 or 6 years of experience will depend on a number of factors. The main factor being the qualification; where it was undertaken, the level, the major and whether it is considered closely related to the nominated occupation.

As with many Migration related issues, there is no one size fits all approach.

Totally agree with this point. I have no idea how they came up with the value that they set for my 'met' date; but it wasn't anything I found obvious or I could have pre-calculated.

As such, I instead chose to rely on IELTS points rather than work experience, as I found it too risky to claim them (in my case, at least).

Archived