Trouble in Townsville

Dom1

I have been reading a recent Townsville thread on British expats which basically states the place is getting out of control, with regular car jackings and vigilante groups roaming around.

Is this really the case or a few isolated incidents ?

• 2 weeks later...

There are some troubled areas in Townsville in certain housing areas with gang activity, drugs etc, usual thing that you find in any city; but the mainstream areas are fine. My father in law who lives in Bedfordshire says the Strand (by the beach) is the best thing every time they visit, and very safe.

Guest The Pom Queen
It's like Baghdad on a bad day.......armed insurrection in the streets......FFS..... some of you poms amaze me with some of the stuff you come out with :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Well put it this way, we don't live there, we hate Townsville because they get everything and Cairns gets nothing, but I don't have a bad word to say on the place. In the past 2 months we have stayed there over 8 times between us and never once seen any trouble. I'm sure they have good and bad areas just like Melbourne does. I feel safe walking the streets at night alone.

My two young often go down to the RAAF base there and have never seen any problems when they have gone in to town. Stop,worrying.

I'd like to know how safe it is too, we're driving up there in a few months! Bit of a worry :wideeyed:

Nothing to do with how safe it is, but pre book your accommodation. We turned up about 6pm on a Monday night and Townsville was ful!!! Drove round every where and some places kindly checked the Internet for us. Reckon we got the last room available but it took till nearly 8pm. Not funny and a lesson learnt, just innocently didn't think there would be a problem on a Monday.

Were the rooms all taken to cook Meth? :wink: :biggrin:

No, mate, we're all looking forward to the time that weed is legal here. :wink: Seriously, have just heard of a disturbing sounding housing assoc estate that has a drug ring in it and hassling the mainly elderly residents. Sad, too sad. Police powerless??

Guest The Pom Queen
Nothing to do with how safe it is, but pre book your accommodation. We turned up about 6pm on a Monday night and Townsville was ful!!! Drove round every where and some places kindly checked the Internet for us. Reckon we got the last room available but it took till nearly 8pm. Not funny and a lesson learnt, just innocently didn't think there would be a problem on a Monday.

I think it depends when you go. This time of year is our off peak as its wet season so plenty available.

Archived