Current Bush Fires

Tina2

Hope everyone is keeping an eye on the bush fires situation. Things are pretty bad in Victoria and reading the CFA Face Book page there are concerns someone is starting fires along the Hume Freeway. Keep an eye on these two sites https://www.facebook.com/cfavic and

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/warnings-and-incidents/. Dont panic just be aware and informed.

• 4 weeks later...

My son got burned out on Sunday with the Gippsland fires. He made his house (built all by himself) as fire proof as he possibly could and knew he would likely lose his shed but put importantish stuff in the house for a better chance. Toast! Even their fire shelter (which had inflammables) is probably a nice little crater - they haven't got up to see it yet, just reports from their RFS mates.

Mother Nature sure knows how to give you your comeuppance!

So, please stay safe people! People first! Stuff - well, it's just stuff!!!!

My son got burned out on Sunday with the Gippsland fires. He made his house (built all by himself) as fire proof as he possibly could and knew he would likely lose his shed but put importantish stuff in the house for a better chance. Toast! Even their fire shelter (which had inflammables) is probably a nice little crater - they haven't got up to see it yet, just reports from their RFS mates.

this is has made me sad so sorry to hear this. Where is your son staying now? You must be so worried. I hope he gets a big insurance payout and he can live somewhere he calls home again soon. Big hugs being sent your way xxxx

Guest Guest16631

......so sorry to hear this.......

......I sincerely hope there is something left ,.....

......or at least a large compensation....

.......thoughts are with you and yours..........tink x

He's lost his whole house?? Omg that's terrible :(

I'll never understand why people would want to start fires, obviously they must have mental problems or just be evil!!

Oh god that is awful. :-(

Your poor son. I am very glad is is ok though, I imagine he feels a bit gutted at the moment but it could have been so much worse.

Thanks folks - they're still in stunned mullet state shock I think. This will (hopefully) see an end to their self sufficient aspirations in the bush. Unfortunately I just knew what would happen - been through one fire myself and seen the fire grounds of others in recovery efforts - they were sitting ducks really.

Fortunately their fire wasn't deliberate, it was 3 lightning strikes that morphed into a monster. I've worked on recovery teams when the fire was deliberate and it's a much easier proposition if you know it was Mother Nature taking a smack. He'll know at the end of the week, when they open the road, whether there is anything to salvage - he's thinking tools like axe heads perhaps. It'll be interesting to see if the kero and other inflammables in the fire shelter were protected enough or whether there is a huge crater where the fire shelter (dug at my insistence as a priority after the Gippsland fires a few years back) used to be. His wife has lost more sentimental stuff (and she's a sentimental gal so it's going to be doubly hard for her.

hi Quoll, Having come close on 2009 I understand how you are all feeling. Stunned shock. Floods are bad but after the flood you normally have "something" left like a building that needs a good clean but is still a house. Fires totally different issue they take everything. So So sorry to hear this, but your are strong and together will get through it - but it will take time. Unless you have been through it you dont really understand the mental impact. I know we moved after 2009, the road we moved in to our place was on a corner and the house opposite had a sort of blue grey roof. For a long time i would drive down that road and see that blue grey roof and my stomach would turn over as my mind saw "smoke" You are all in my thoughts and prays.

So sorry to hear this quoll, we are in east gippsland if there is anything we can do to help let me know

We were evacuated for a few hours on Sunday and that is closest I have come to bush fires since I arrived and that was pretty scary ...

Makes you think of things very differently and to realise how lucky we were that the wind changed

Anything at all we can do just give us a yell hopefully the locals in his area will also all come together and help

Sorry about your son's place Quoll. The smoke is terrible over Melbourne presently. Not good for the elderly and people who suffer with respiratory illness. Its a puffer day for me, in fact I put a mask on to o out into the garden this morning.

They say the smoke is going to be around for quite a while so hope we can get a bit of wind for the smoke but not for the fires, we are demanding us humans.

Monday evening up here (Echuca) we could hardly breath for the smoke, very scary and errie feeling. CFA have been amazing, jumping on things so fast. We had three fires going up here Monday but the CFA jumped on top of them fast. You know they hold parades for "sports' stars is it not time to hold a parade for the fire fighter who put there lives on the line to save lives and property?

I know they say they dont need thanks, but (we) and I am sure many others have seen then collecting at traffic light to raise funds for new equipment. If we had a parade and even just asked people to make a gold coin donation, just think how much money could be raised on one day for all the extras the fire fighters need

So sorry to hear this quoll, we are in east gippsland if there is anything we can do to help let me know

We were evacuated for a few hours on Sunday and that is closest I have come to bush fires since I arrived and that was pretty scary ...

Makes you think of things very differently and to realise how lucky we were that the wind changed

Anything at all we can do just give us a yell hopefully the locals in his area will also all come together and help

Thanks Loopylou! I hope you guys stay safe - there are still a load of uncontrolled fires out there - let's hope they can get on top of them before the winds change again. DS is in our place at the mo and their local community is pretty supportive, fortunately. He can't get back onto the fireground yet because there are still hotspots and they haven't opened the road. It'll be a long week I think.

Archived