I need answers!! Lol

Guest x_h-a-n-n-a-h_x

Guest x_h-a-n-n-a-h_x

Hiya guys i'm Hannah from Yorkshire and i've been asked to move over to Brisbane, Queensland with my boyfriend and his family sometime in the next 10-15 months..

I was just wondering if any of you could give me any information about schools/colleges over there.

I am sitting my GCSE exam's in June, but i was wondering whether they would count or if i would have to go back to school once we've moved over or could i go straight to college?

Please reply soon!

Love Hannah x x

BTW: If you know Gwen, then thats who i might be moving over with :cute:

Guest Mrs C

Hi Hannah,

Welcome to PIO.

As far as I am aware your exam results don't mean much over in Oz, but I am no expert. Just wanted to bump this back up incase people missed it first time round.

What do your family feel about you going to OZ? (nosey arn't I) lol

April

Guest x_h-a-n-n-a-h_x

Hiya again,

Well i haven't exactly mentioned it to them for real yet, all they know is that Gwen and Steve (my boyfriend's parents) have been sponsered over in Australia and that their moving over sometime in the next 10-15 months, or sooner..

Me and Nathan (my boyfriend) are telling my parents tomorrow once he's finished work, because he isn't too keen on me telling them on my own, plus i don't know all the detail's for real yet.

So does that mean if i did move over to Brisbane with them, i would have to go back to school?

Love Hannah x x

Guest One-And-Only

GCSE's are pretty worthless in Australia unfortunatley.

That's the problem my family had. We would have left ages ago but my brother's GCSE's would mean nothing so he had to go to college to get some sort of qualification.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Hannah

How old are you, chooks?

The idea of your moving to Oz with Nathan's family would NOT be straightforward, I am afraid. The reason is because unless you had been adopted by Nathan's family, you would not count as a dependent child of his Parents. (And don't get hung up on the idea that they might be able to adopt you because that would make your relationship with Nathan illegal, so it would not be a viable idea and legally it would not be do-able either.)

If as I suspect you are under 18, you would not be eligible for a Working Holiday Maker visa, so the only way you would be able to get a visa for Oz would be as an International Student.

In that capacity (International Student) the Australian authorities would not grant you a visa without your Parents' written consent. Also, somebody - whether Gwen & Steve or whether your own Parents - would have to pay the fees for any school or college course that you might undertake. The fees would be chargeable at International Student rates. In QLD, that rate would typically be around $8,000 -$10,000 Australian dollars a year if you are at school and around $10,000 - $12,000 a year if you are enrolled in a TAFE.

Similarly, whoever would fund your education in Oz would also have to demonstrate that they can afford to provide for you outside of School or College as well. This means paying for all your food and accommodation, travel to and from school/college, buying you clothes etc etc. You yourself would be able to work in Oz (I think) but only for a very limited number of hours each week during term time and unlimited hours during the school or college holidays.

It really is far, FAR more complicated - and much more expensive - than you, Gwen or your Parents might realise at this stage and I would be inclined to expect obstruction from the Australian authorities every step of the way to be honest with you. Their attitude would be likely to be, "And what is going to happen to this lass Hannah if she and Nathan split up?"

So the Aussie authorities would be in a head-on clash with you, in a way, because you do not want to believe that you & Nathan might split up but the authorities would be unwilling to believe any theory other than that you and Nathan will probably split up before you turn 18.

It would be necessary for you, your own Parents and for Gwen & Steve to consult a really top-notch Registered Migration Agent in order to discover whether your idea is even feasible legally, let alone how to set about trying to do it.

There is a student exchange scheme whereby a school in the UK can do a deal with a school in Australia. Typically, the two young people involved will "swap parents" for a couple of terms, so you would stay with and be looked after by the Australian student's parents, whilst your own parents do the same in return.

But in practice it is VERY much easier to do one of these exchanges when the schools involved are two private boarding schools. In that situation, the Head of the boarding school has all the immediate legal responsibility for the foreign schoolchild in his or her care, can give immediate consent in a medical emergency (eg one of you needs to have your appendix out quickly) etc. The authorities in both countries trust the boarding schools to look after the foreign child properly because the schools are inspected regularly to make sure that the domestic (boarding) side of the arrangement is up to scratch as well as the actual lessons etc.

But it is usually a very short arrangement too - usually no more than about 6 months or two UK terms with one school holiday in between. (They have 4 terms a year in Oz so I'm not sure how the Australian end would be calculated.)

We do have some Registered Migration Agents of very high standing and calibre who help out with Poms in Oz. I will ask one of them to take a look at this thread and perhaps offer you some guidance about what might or might not be possible in terms of a visa for you.

I will ask Gwen and a couple of others to take a look at this thread as well and to see what, if anything, we can come up with on a non visa-expert level..

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Hannah,

As Gill says it's probably alot more complicated than just moving over with your boyfriend and his family. It would be a really good idea to get your boyfriends mum to come and have a look at this thread.

Ali

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Hannah

As Gill and others have said & if I have read correctly if Gwen & family have been sponsored in Oz you will not qualify to go on their visa. I take its Gwens son won't go without you!!!! Personally I think Gwen has not right to say that you can moved to the other side of the world with them without even consulting your parents first & if you are under 18 will need your parents consent which I dont think you will get. But good luck with telling your parents.

Janette

Hi Janette,

Just wanted to put things straight,before you make me out to be the bad one in all this.

Hanna is a lovely girl and I love her to bits,but I have in no shape or form told Hanna to come with use,Nathan (my son) and Hanna have been talking about it.And I have explained to both of them it would be very difficult to get Hanna out there.I also have explained that when she turns 18 she could come over.

My son is in the Army and does not get alot of time of,so they wanted to wait till he was home to explain to Hanna's mum and Dad.Hanna stays at our house most of the time when Nathan is on leave.

Its a hard situation for us all,And I don't want to break either of there hearts.So please don't judge things when you don't no the full story.

I only new about the post because Gollywobbler sent me a private message (Thankyou for that Gollywobbler) If worst came to worst my son would proberally stay here,which I do not want at all.And Nathan has wanted to move to Oz for a long time.

Gwen :no::no:

Guest Mrs C

Hi ladies

I just wanted to say that I am sorry if I opened a can of worms here, by bumping this up.

especially to you Gwen if it has caused any ill feeling.

I have sent you a PM.

April

Hi Guys .... Not Gona Add My Opinion To This As We Are In A Similar Position With Our Daughter .... I Truly Believe That Gwen Is Trying Her Hardest To Keep Her Wee Family Together [and What Mother Wouldnt ] Hannah Is At The Age Where Everything Seems So Exciting And Obviously Wanted To Share It With Us All . I Think This Is Where This Site Comes Into Its Own ... When Children Come On With Dilemmas We All Want To Try And Help ..... Do What You Need To Do Gwen And I Hope It All Works Out For You And Your Family

Mrs Keily X

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gwen

I don't think anybody is trying to have a go at you, honey.

Let us be constructive about this, I suggest.

What are Nathan's plans, please? Will he be staying in the British Army, transferring to the Australian Army or coming out of the forces completely in order to migrate to Oz? If he is in the Army now, presumably he is no longer considered to be dependent on you? How old is Nathan?

According to Hanna/Hannah (not sure how she spells it) you would not be moving to Oz for another 10-15 months anyway. How old would Hannah be in, say, a year's time?

I am just thinking aloud, really, so please bear with me. If Nathan stays in the British Army, he would not be spending all his time in Australia. In that event, would his tours of duty co-incide with Hannah turning 18 and therefore being able to get a Working Holiday Maker visa, I wonder?

If that idea is a non-starter for any reason, what about this?

Scenario 1: You & Steve get visas which will give you immediate PR in Oz. Assuming that Nathan is included as your dependent child on that visa, he would have to travel to Oz in order to validate his visa, but he would be free to leave Oz again once he has done that. Therefore if need be he could stay geographically closer to Hannah until she turns 18 than if he goes to Oz lock stock & barrel on Day One?

Scenario 2: You are offered a subclass 457 temporary employer-sponsored visa to start with. Nathan gets included as your dependent on that visa instead. In this situation, as I understand it there is no time limit within which the 457 visa must be validated???? I'm pretty sure about that so far as the main applicant and his/he adult Partner are concerned.

I am not sure about dependent minors because they have to have full medicals and the main reason for the visa validation requirement with a PR visa seems to be that the meds only have a shelf life of a year.

Therefore if you get a 457 visa, I am wondering whether Nathan would need to validate it at all? I do not know the answer to this question. Janette & Billy Bravheart might know because their son Marc was 17 when their 457 visa was granted, so presumably Marc's situation would have been considered fairly carefully in case he changed his mind and decided that he did not want to leave for Oz at the same time as J & B.

I am just wondering - in effect - how to string the whole thing out until Hannah is 18. Once she is 18, she could get a 12 month WHM visa pretty easily. If she plays her cards right in the first year and does not less than 3 months of farming work (eg fruit picking) then she could extend her WHMV for a second year.

By then, Hannah would be 20. If her relationship with Nathan is still ongoing by then etc, a Spouse/de facto/Prospective Marriage visa might become possible for Hannah as a follow-on from her 2-year WHMV, provided that by then Nathan has PR in Oz. How & when he comes by his PR status is irrelevant.

I suspect that the key to how to devise an effective visa strategy for Hannah may well depend on Nathan's own plans and what his visa-status will be at the relevant time, if you see what I mean?

What is for certain is that any possibilities will be (a) much easier and (b) possibly a lot cheaper once Hannah has turned 18, even if she only turns 18 rthe day before plans for her swing into action. These days a lot of youngesters do not go straight from A level to Uni as we did in my own day, so Hannah could wait till she has PR in Oz in her own right before thinking about tertiary education for herself if Hannah and Nathan are still together maybe 6 or so years from now?

(Hannah, in case you are wondering where my idea of 6 years comes from.... For simplicity I will assume that you are 16 now. When you are 18, you can go to Oz on a WHM visa for 2 years. When you are 20, it may be possible to arrange a another (pvisa for you, based on your relationship with Nathan but that visa would probably be a temporary one for a further 2-3 years. Hence you would be about 22/23 by the time you would have PR in Australia. Colleges, Unis etc are cheaper if the student has Permanent Residence (PR) in Australia first.)

Best wishes

Gill

Hi all,

Thankyou for your kind words,was begining to think I was being horrible.But we are an open family and talk about everything.My older son moved to Oz last Sept and I still have his friends coming around.

Mrs C you don't need to say sorry for anything,thats what this sight is for to give advice to everybody and support ,and maybe Hanna needs advice from other people that have been through this.

And thankyou so much Gill there is some good ideas there:idea:.I have said to Hanna, if her and Nathan where still together she could come over on a work visa.I just don't want her to give up on her ambitions.

Just when I get all excited another problem hits.Yes Gill Nathan will come with us as a dependant, then he would join the Oz Army when he is 18 which is not till March 2009.

I no you will be readying this Hanna and I love you to bits and if I new there was a way to get you in, I would.

Luv Gwen x x x x x x :no::no:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gwen

Thanks for your reply.

Right, Nathan will be 18 in March 2009 and will be eligible to join the Oz Army at that time. He can be included as your dependent on whichever visa you get, but unless your visa gives you immediate PR then it will not give Nathan PR either.

Not to worry.... If Nathan does not obtain PR via you, I am pretty sure that he could do so in his own right, via the Australian Army. I am not 100% sure, but I think the ADF use a type of visa called a Labour Agreement. This can certainly give PR outright, though in some cases I think a temporary version of it (or a 457 visa) is sometimes used first. Which may be the case for Nathan if need be because he is not old enough yet to meet the qualifications and skill-level requirement for a Commissioned Defence Officer. Please see here:

Commissioned Defence Force Officer 1294-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

However, you would need to ask the Australian Army exactly how they would tackle the question of Nathan's visa(s) in the event that he does not acquire PR in Oz via you.

Also, you have told me in our exchange of PMs that Hannah is already 17, which does make the whole thing vastly easier from a visa-angle. As soon as Hannah is 18, she could obtain a WHM Visa in her own right.

It is possible that whilst she is on the WHMV, an employer might be willing to sponsor Hannah for her own 457 visa to start with, which could be a possible route to PR for Hannah regardless of Nathan and his own visa-status at any relevant time.

Alternatively, once Nathan has PR then he might become a conduit to PR for Hannah as well, via their relationship.

I think you need an experienced Registered Migration Agent, preferably one with hands-on prior experience of a situation like yours.

However, I am firmly convinced that there IS a way to sort all this out both for Nathan and for Hannah. I merely lack enough knowledge of these visas to be able to work out a detailed visa strategy for Nathan and separately for Hannah. But I DO think that both can be done.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest x_h-a-n-n-a-h_x

Hi all, its Hannah

I've just read all your comments you have been leaving me and i would just like to say thank you for all the advice and information you have left, t's been very helpful.

I've now realised that as much as i would love to move over to Australia with Nathan and his family, i possibley can't, which is a big downer for me but i'll have to live with it.

Love Hannah x x

Hi all, its Hannah

I've just read all your comments you have been leaving me and i would just like to say thank you for all the advice and information you have left, t's been very helpful.

I've now realised that as much as i would love to move over to Australia with Nathan and his family, i possibley can't, which is a big downer for me but i'll have to live with it.

Love Hannah x x

HI Hannah, Don't give up!! If you are 17 then that is such a lovely age , you have sooo much time in front of you and so many places to see and people to meet :cute:. Personally if I were you (I know i'm not) I would not think about living in Australia forever, I would think about getting a working visa/holiday visa and just ask your parents if they mind you exploring Australia for 6/12 months. That way hopefully your parents will not be upset as I am sure that they love you and don't want to lose you but at the same time you have to live your life.

Good luck Hannah Kimxx

Guest Sharon & Mike

Hi Hannah

It's hard but you should never give up on something that is important to you. If you love Nathan and he loves you, you're relationship will survive no mater the distance or the time it takes for you to be together.

At the end of the day you’re a young woman who knows her own mind and from what I've read you have your head screwed on right. So do me a favour, please digest the information and knowledge given by your friends on PIO.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Gwen,

I'm sat her counting my blessings that my two weren't old enough to have a boyfriend/girlfirend which would make the whole process much more difficult.

Good luck to you and Hannah (I'm sure there'll be a way)

Ali

Hanna ,,i was 15 when i met Gary ,he travelled oz for a year but i was too young,,we settled in the uk got ourselevs finacially stable,and eventually moved out here,im now 34 and we are still as happy as when we met ,,dont be too down if you cant get here right now ,the best thing you could do is get a job ,learn a skill ,earn some dosh and then think about moving ,,after all with Gwen already by here that time it may make thing easier on you,,keep smiling you sound just like me when i was younger ,,youll make it girl but it may take a little while,,in the meantime just live life and enjoy yourself,,good luck babe

Cal x

Guest x_h-a-n-n-a-h_x

Hiya everyone,

Thank you for all being so helpful and making me understand how hard it would be moving over to Australia with Nathan and his family sometime in the next year.

I have decided that i am going to go on to college with my GCSE's (which i will hopefully achieve) and study Travel and Tourism for the next two years until i am 18, in the mean time Nathan and his family will have moved over and started decorating and setting up my room.

Lots of love

Hannah x x

Hi Hannah,

You sound like a very sensible young lady to me - you seem to have a very level head and have made a decision which will benefit you in the long run. Hopefully, you'll get out for holidays too

Ali

Archived