457 Visa Private Health Care Cost???

beats123

So if I am to come over on a 457 visa, how much will it cost me per month??

By looking at some sites its looking like it could cost me up to $216 a month???

My cousin who has lived in Sydney for last 20 years says she pays around $80 a month.

Now I know it depends on the person and there is different category's to choose from, but for those already on a 457 visa how much are you paying?? I would like to just see an average from a few people.

So I want a rough monthly figure that I know will be enough to put on my spreadsheet of costs. Will $100 a month be enough, or will it have to be at least $150 or even over $200 as I've seen???

By the way, I have no medical problems or illness, just very slight asthma.

Thanks

Are you a British passport holder?

If so you only need the insurance until you have registered with Medicare. We just did a 21 day emigration policy and use Medicare now. On a 457, we haven't found any problems with Medicare at all and have had all the same rebates so far as citizens and PR holders. I believe there may be a few differences but we haven't come across any in 2 years and have used the system numerous times.

Yes I'm a british passport holder.

So you don't pay any Private Health Care now you use Medicare, I thought you had to have some under the 457??

And is the Medicare now costing you a fee then or is it just the 1% or so they take from your wage, sure I saw that somewhere else.

Hi, we are on a 457 and we don't have to have Private Medical as we have Medicare. But we were told that if a couples combined earnings are more than $x (you'll be able to google this figure), you have to pay an additional medicare levy....which worked out the same (or thereabouts) as having private medical anyway.

I was told it was to 'encourage' people to take out private healthcare.

:)

Yes, that's true. If a family earns over something like $175,000 you pay an additional amount. Therefore people often get private health care to avoid paying the extra 1% of wages or whatever.

Here is some info from a private health provider: http://www.medibank.com.au/healthcover/benefits/medicare-levy-surcharge.aspx

Under a 457 it is only required until you are registered with Medicare (some people obviously choose to carry on anyway).

Yes we just have Medicare on a 457 and it has worked out well so far.

This is all jolly reassuring, as I've put it not only in my "temporary" budget (i.e. how much we need to get us over there and on our feet) but also on my main, ongoing budget, as I'd heard people say how it's really expensive to go to the doctor's if you're not a PR.

For what it's worth, I researched BUPA 457 ("gap") cover for a family of 5 and I've got $43 a week down.

Hi.

As you'll be on a 457 visa make sure that the policy you have exempts you from the medicare levy surcharge which isn't a given just because you have insurance.

I initially took out insurance with iman ($80/month) to allow me to get in to the country and just kept it going thinking I wouldn't have to pay the levy. Come tax time it became apparent that even though it was exactly the same type of cover a PR or citizen would have I still got hit with a $1000 surcharge. When I spoke with iman, I could pay for additional hospital cover which I couldn't technically use but which gave me a letter exempting me from the surcharge. The cost of this additional cover was double what I would pay for the surcharge. Needless to say I canceled the policy there and then.

Not sure if the above is the same for all 457 health cover policies but definitely ask the question and do the maths.

Eddy

Guest guest90395

Hmmm I'm not sure... On my visa grant letter it states that one of the conditions is that I maintain health insurance. My company is paying for it (and they wouldn't if it wasn't required!), it's $480 for myself and my husband per quarter, through IMAN.

Hmmm I'm not sure... On my visa grant letter it states that one of the conditions is that I maintain health insurance. My company is paying for it (and they wouldn't if it wasn't required!), it's $480 for myself and my husband per quarter, through IMAN.

From the Immi website:

Do subclass 457 visa holders need to have insurance?

If your subclass 457 visa was granted on or after 14 September 2009, you are responsible for health costs which are incurred in Australia by you and your accompanying family members.

From 14 September 2009 it is a requirement for visa grant that applicants have made adequate arrangements for health insurance for themselves and accompanying family members.

Subclass 457 visa holders are subject to visa condition 8501. Condition 8501 requires all visa holders, including accompanying family members, to maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.

You are required to maintain an adequate level of insurance cover for the duration of your stay in Australia. This insurance must be at least as comprehensive as the minimum level of coverage required under the subclass 457 visa program. For the minimum level of coverage required, see Attachment A to the health insurance standard template letter.

See: Health insurance standard template letter (106KB RTF file)

Visa holders who are enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements will be considered as having met this requirement. There is more information below on reciprocal health care arrangements.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

This is all jolly reassuring, as I've put it not only in my "temporary" budget (i.e. how much we need to get us over there and on our feet) but also on my main, ongoing budget, as I'd heard people say how it's really expensive to go to the doctor's if you're not a PR.

For what it's worth, I researched BUPA 457 ("gap") cover for a family of 5 and I've got $43 a week down.

This isn't true if you have reciprocal healthcare. We go to a bulk-billing doctor (no gap) which means Medicare pays it all. We have also had skin checks that were fully bulk billed, and the kids caught up on their immunisations (Hep B) without being charged a cent. My son needed a scan on his stomach and we got the same rebate as someone on PR/citizen.

Regarding ambulance cover - that depends on the state. In QLD we don't need it but lots of places do. I believe you can pay a yearly fee to cover this (without having to have a full private healthcare policy).

Dental - lots of people I know just get "extras" cover to help with this. Although I don't know anyone who has actually come out ahead as often there is a fairly low limit on the work allowed on the policy.

I have heard it said that it normally (no guarantees!) works out best to put the amount you would spend on health insurance in a separate account and dip into it when you need to, and it will normally work out cheaper than the insurance. That makes sense as I would assume that most of the private companies turn a decent profit.

All personal choice though as lots of people like the security of insurance although even very "good" policies don't necessarily cover everything. I know someone with a comprehensive policy who still paid $600 in gaps (still a lot cheaper than the $4000 it would've cost privately without insurance of course).

I'm also here on a 457 visa and I have private health insurance, I registered with medicare and then I tried to cancel the private health insurance and was told I could be in breach of my visa and the company would report this to immi. Obviously I didn't cancel after that.

I'm also here on a 457 visa and I have private health insurance, I registered with medicare and then I tried to cancel the private health insurance and was told I could be in breach of my visa and the company would report this to immi. Obviously I didn't cancel after that.

I'm not doubting you were told that, but what a fib from the company!! (Unless that was some time ago and the reciprocal Medicare didn't count?)

Definitely not true!

Archived