My best visa option for emigration?

inxie

Hey everyone!

Last year I had the privilege of spending a year in Australia on a 417 working holiday visa.

I have been back in the UK for a year now and I am absolutely sure that the quality of life here is inferior.

I currently have a girlfriend who is getting her degree (psychology) and is also set on coming with me once her course is finished in 3 years time,

and if I'm not mistaken, this will open up the skilled migrant visa option for her?

As for me,

I'm 22

I build websites

I have a diploma in IT.

I've visited on a working holiday visa (if this gives me an advantage for emigration?)

I have no criminal offences

Considering that I have some time to prepare, what is my best option for emigration?

Thanks in advance,

Lewis ;)

I am moving your thread to the migration forum as you may get more response there.

You are young so I would be looking at the skill lists in Aus all the time as they change all the time. The skill that is needed today may not be on the list when you are ready to migrate. Psychologists are two a penny here therefore a specialty in the job gives an added advantage.

You will need proof of your training and years of experience as well. So these are the things you can work on.

Also stay with the forum and keep your ear to the ground.

Good luck

I am moving your thread to the migration forum as you may get more response there.

You are young so I would be looking at the skill lists in Aus all the time as they change all the time. The skill that is needed today may not be on the list when you are ready to migrate. Psychologists are two a penny here therefore a specialty in the job gives an added advantage.

You will need proof of your training and years of experience as well. So these are the things you can work on.

Also stay with the forum and keep your ear to the ground.

Good luck

Thanks!

If I need years of experience on top of a qualification that's going to take me 5+ years in order to qualify.

Surely there's a better way?

To become a psychologist in Australia you need to do 6+ years of study. Your girlfriend will need more than a 3 year psych degree. If studying here is anything to go by she will need a three year Bach degree, another year for honours then approx 2 years work placement before she is even qualified. Once she is qualified he can get a job and her work experience as far as immigration are concerned starts there. That's all if she plans on becoming a psychologist.

certainly not a quick process, but if neither if you have any skills then your only hope is to train as a job listed on the sol CSOL list (hope it's still there when your qualified and have work experience) and apply for a visa.

Your girlfriends degree isn't going to be a lot of use.

I think web developer is on the CSOL. So have a look at the CSOL list and if it is on there, it will have a number. Google this number and it will bring up the details for the minimum experience and qualifications.

As the others have said, your girlfriend's psychology course does not make her skilled for the purposes of migration - it is simply a degree. She will need further qualifications and experience before she can apply if she wants to come here as a Psychologist.

Wow, thank you for all the responses!

It's a shame to hear that her degree will not suffice :(

Is it the case that only one of us needs to be accepted in order for us both to get visas?

I am prepared to do whatever I need to in order to gain my visa, but she feels she must continue with her degree either way and I of course support that.

Taken from the immi website for WEB DEVELOPER.

"This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification"

Unfortunately I don't have an equivalent or higher qualification in the field, nor do I have the alternative 5 years experience as my work is generally freelance and very sporadic.

I feel as though despite my abilities, I am going to be starting at the bottom of the ladder in this process :(

you will need to get 60 points so here goes

25 points age

20 points IELTS but you must get an 8 in each section

10 points for you skill but you will need to sit a skills assessment

5 points if you have worked in you skill of 12 or more in Australia

you could get sponsored by the state and that will give you another 5 points if you didn't work in your skill for 12 month is Australia

I would say you are best looking at a 189 or a 190 visa but be quick before they make any changes.

It is correct only one of you needs to be eligible. The other simply has to pass a medical and police check. At the moment I think you are going to either have to get the experience required or look at taking a degree. It seems you girlfriend has only just started so you have plenty of time.

You also need to be aware that being girlfriend / boyfriend is not sufficient for visas and you need to be able to prove you are in a de facto relationship - in other words you are living as man and wife and would be required to prove this has been the case for at least 12 months.

It may be worth speaking to a migration agent for advice on a way forward.

Archived