Citizenship before you go

Lynne78

Hey, we are planning on moving back to the UK about May/June next year. My husband has suggesting getting citizenship (just in case...) before we go (I know this idea would be frowned upon on other forums!) Did anyone else do this before they moved? Time-wise I think we will be eligible late November. How much does it cost? Do you have to go to a ceremony, and if so how frequent are they?

Yes, absolutely we did & personally I think it'd be crazy not to if you are eligible. Who knows what will happen in the future, you might want to move to NZ ;)

The only thing is your timeline could be tight, we became eligible in November and had our ceremony in June, then a takes a couple of weeks to get passports (you can fast track)

A lot will depend on the city/shire you live in and how often they have ceremonies - you do have to have one and it was quite excruciating (I found it sad really).

I don't remember the cost, I don't think it was much - passports are quite expensive though.

One tip, don't wait until you are eligible to get all your paperwork together as that delayed us getting our application in.

We got our citizenship this year - not because we were moving back - and the ceremonies seem to run (in Brisbane anyway) about every six months. I can't remember the cost exactly but maybe around $300? I'm sure someone will correct me, we had a lot of bills around that time with UK passport renewal and a change of name document so I might be getting confused.

If I were you I would definitely go for citizenship. Things change and you may regret not doing it.

Thanks guys. We live near Perth, I seem to remember seeing something in the local paper one year about ceremonies on Australia day...probably wishful thinking to become eligible in the November then have ceremony in January!

Are the examinations more frequent then the ceremonies? How do I find out when they hold exams/ceremonies?

Thanks Lady Rainicorn - getting paperwork organised well in advance is a good tip!

Thanks guys. We live near Perth, I seem to remember seeing something in the local paper one year about ceremonies on Australia day...probably wishful thinking to become eligible in the November then have ceremony in January!

Are the examinations more frequent then the ceremonies? How do I find out when they hold exams/ceremonies?

Thanks Lady Rainicorn - getting paperwork organised well in advance is a good tip!

You can only have a ceremony in the city you live so your's would be Rockingham (if you're in Baldivis) - there is zero chance of an Australia Day ceremony - first you apply, then you get invited for an interview & to take the citizenship test. You get the results of the test on the day, but it can then take up to 6 weeks to get the decision - that decision is then sent to the city council and they will invite you to the next available ceremony (I'm sure somewhere in the process we were asked if we wanted the next available or a specific one & lots of people would opt for Australia Day).

We were on tenterhooks and after getting our approval letter rang the council and they said they only got notified monthly of successful applicants.

The good news is there are loads of migrants within the City of Rockingham so I'm sure they will do monthly ceremonies. Here you go take a look...http://www.rockingham.wa.gov.au/Council/Citizenship.aspx

If you're not in Baldivis you'll find similiar info on the council website wherever you are. We lived in Cockburn.

Thanks for the info Lady R. What's involved in the interview - will we have to lie and say how much we love Australia and that we never want to leave!?

No not at all - I think it's more to weed out fake ID, marriages of convenience etc.

Of course you keep quiet about not planning to stay as a requirement is 'commitment to Australia' - I must admit I see that as 'not planning on bombing the Australian government' as opposed to 'living in Australia for the rest of your life'

The women I saw was British and when she saw I'd lived in Southend was exchanging stories with me :) In the next cubicle the woman's name of her birth certificate did not match her marriage certificate - that's what they are interested in.

No not at all - I think it's more to weed out fake ID, marriages of convenience etc.

Of course you keep quiet about not planning to stay as a requirement is 'commitment to Australia' - I must admit I see that as 'not planning on bombing the Australian government' as opposed to 'living in Australia for the rest of your life'

The women I saw was British and when she saw I'd lived in Southend was exchanging stories with me :) In the next cubicle the woman's name of her birth certificate did not match her marriage certificate - that's what they are interested in.

Hi Lady R, we live in Oz and have a house in Southend...small world..haha :)

Back to the topic......Australia is a great place so you do not have to lie, in a few years time you may come back and live here again, it will be good to have an option, plus it sounds like you have spent your time well,

remember how pleased you were with a visa to come here..?? Now you can be citizens..WOW

GL..FNS

Back to the topic......Australia is a great place so you do not have to lie, in a few years time you may come back and live here again, it will be good to have an option, plus it sounds like you have spent your time well,

remember how pleased you were with a visa to come here..?? Now you can be citizens..WOW

GL..FNS

We are thinking about the citizenship but are undecided. I don't think Australia is a great place, which is why we are leaving. Sure, I miss family and friends but the main reason we are leaving is because I don't particularly like it here. I won't give you the whole list, but let's just say when your pro list has 'the washing dries really quickly' on it, it's really not a good sign!

I don't really want to spend money that I don't have to (although I know it's nothing like visa costs) and I'm certain we won't move back. I also don't want to have our leaving date dictated by when we can get a ceremony. The only thing that would make me definitely want to get it would be if we have a baby before we go...

If you have children then I would say yes as it gives them options.

If not, then no, I don't see the point if you both feel the same.

For me, giving my son options was the number 1 reason but there were others, first of all when I left the UK I would have never believed I'd return - in fact it was one of the criteria on which I agreed to move in the first place - we'd make it work come what may. Having been so absolutely certain I now accept I can be wrong (just don't tell my OH I admitted that!).

Second though, who knows what the future of the UK may bring - economic collapse, terrorism, war, civil unrest, climatic/environmental disaster....not predicting any of those things but an Australian citizenship in my back pocket is a 'nice to have'. When a Japanese women, who had aupaired for us was impacted by the tsunami she was very glad to have an Australian visa and to be able to return for a while. And going back in time, jews in Germany with dual nationality were certainly glad of it.

If you look at the last 100 years in the UK and then consider what the next 100 could bring then I think there is a point, if the 'costs' are small.

I was talking to my sister yesterday.Abit off topic but my god,if she did'nt mention Australia Day a dozen times or more in the space of 30 mins convo!:arghh:Anyway.....as she is british,the same as me,and has lived in Oz a long long time (same as me,but I returned to the UK)I asked her when she was going to become an official citizen?She replied "Hmmm Not sure if I ever would"lol Anyway she did tell me the citizenship cost $300.

I was talking to my sister yesterday.Abit off topic but my god,if she did'nt mention Australia Day a dozen times or more in the space of 30 mins convo!:arghh:Anyway.....as she is british,the same as me,and has lived in Oz a long long time (same as me,but I returned to the UK)I asked her when she was going to become an official citizen?She replied "Hmmm Not sure if I ever would"lol Anyway she did tell me the citizenship cost $300.

The rules are different depending on when you first arrived though - permanent residency used to be permanent :)

Archived