science teachers on supply...

apartyofseven

hello! Was wondering if anyone can help. We are applying to move on a sponsored 186 PR visa. its through my work as a nurse but the OH is a teacher and he will need to try and get some work too! He is secondary science with over 10 years experience in the UK.

Anyone have a recommendations for good supply agencies to contact in Sydney? Thinking he wont be able to work full time straight away as getting kids settled and everything.

thanks in advance

sarah

Hi Sarah

There are many teaching agencies in Sydney - Randstadt seems popular, but if you google, you will come up with quite a few more. As a Science teacher I wouldn't think your husband would have much trouble getting work as Science teachers in Oz seem to be a dying breed! Good Luck!

Hi Sarah

I am also a science teacher, but in Qld. I think NSW has a state senior examination system whereas in Qld we are still on the old system - writing and marking our own.

Try 'smart teachers'. They have quite a turnover for independent schools, also 'teachers on net'.

He will probably need to register with the state educational authority in order to work as a teacher.

Does he have another subject? In Oz they generally expect you to teach two subjects. Usually maths is coupled with science.

If he can take senior physics this will make him pretty popular. If I can help with anything just ask.

Millie

He will need to get his qualifications checked by the NSW teaching board.

They will want university transcripts showing 4 years university. For science that will be a degree plus a teaching qualification. Not GTP!

The teaching qualification must include at least 45 days supervised teaching placement. Even though it was over ten years ago, it must be produced.

http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/careers-centre/school-careers/teaching/our-programs-and-initiatives/overseas-trained-teachers/approval-process'>http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/careers-centre/school-careers/teaching/our-programs-and-initiatives/overseas-trained-teachers/approval-process

High schools will generally want him to teach something else as well. Junior maths is always a popular one. I taught science only for 7 years in the uk but picked up two junior maths classes in my first year here. After 4 years in Victoria, I now have VCE maths and junior science as my allotment ........

He can take a bit of a short cut if he just wants to do relief teaching but there seem to be severe limitations placed upon him in regard to how long he can teach for, or whether he could apply for long or short term contracts. Although reading the link, it does mention working holiday visas only.....

http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/careers-centre/school-careers/teaching/our-programs-and-initiatives/overseas-trained-teachers

It takes a long time, but by now you're getting good at finding transcripts, filling in forms and paying cash out left right and centre!!!

thanks for you replies. He has registered with NSW but they are assessing his 4 year teaching degree as only a three year degree, apparently it is one hundred credits short. they said that he can teach casual but not accredited and would have to do another course to be able to be accredited. Anyone have any experience of this? He has over 10 years teaching science in secondary level and his degree was 4 years science with QTS. thanks lots

Australian registration states that you have to have a 4 year university education, one year of which is education based. So it doesn't matter how long the actual degree course was - three or four years.... but there has to be one year included of teacher training. This usually is a three year Degree topped up with a PGCE in UK or a Grap Dip in Oz. If he cannot demonstrate this on paper, then he will not be registered in Australia as a teacher until he has done further training. Not sure if you are aware, but also the GTP is not recognised in Oz.

thanks for you replies. He has registered with NSW but they are assessing his 4 year teaching degree as only a three year degree, apparently it is one hundred credits short. they said that he can teach casual but not accredited and would have to do another course to be able to be accredited. Anyone have any experience of this? He has over 10 years teaching science in secondary level and his degree was 4 years science with QTS. thanks lots

He will have to do as advised and complete more study if he wishes to teach. The requirement for four years of university education is standard across the whole of Australia - with at least one of these years devoted to education (university based). As others have said, the GTP will not be accepted by any teaching registration board anywhere in Australia.

However,from what you have said he does have a teaching degree, but NSW are notoriously strict with the number of units ( credits) that must be studied and if they deem his four year teaching degree to fall short and be only equivalent to a three year degree, then it will be a simple matter of him undertaking a few more units - well worth it in the long run.

Archived