Anyone returned back to Aus and it's worked out second time around????

Troy&Kim

Hi PIO,

We're in two minds as to moving back to Australia as we're finding it hard to settle back here in the UK. It messes with your head big time, well it has for us.

Would like to know if anyone has returned back to Australia and if it's worked out for them second time around, and why did you return????

Would like to know how things are different for them from there first time.

cheers Troy & Kim

Hi PIO,

We're in two minds as to moving back to Australia as we're finding it hard to settle back here in the UK. It messes with your head big time, well it has for us.

Would like to know if anyone has returned back to Australia and if it's worked out for them second time around, and why did you return????

Would like to know how things are different for them from there first time.

cheers Troy & Kim

How long have you guys been bk? We've been back just over 2 years. I was soooo homesick and ended up coming bk, 2 years down the line, I have mixed feelings! Arghhhh. The curse of the 'ping pong poms'... My OH would have a blue fit if I suggested maybe going bk.....

We've never gone back but it's not uncommon it's known as the $1,000 cure - sometimes going back to UK really helps make the final decision either way. We have a four sets of friends who went back and two returned back to Aus again realising it was for them after all. The other two consisted of one family who went back for family reasons and the other really prefers UK. No right no wrong just a matter of choice and what fits with each individual circumstance and family preference.

From speaking with those who came back and what was different; they both said when they came first time it was a massive culture shock to them. The weather, work culture, people and missing family and friends in UK and the familiarity of everyday things you take for granted in your *home* country. However when they went back to UK they felt all the things they left for in the first place were still winding them up and nothing had changed. When they returned to Aus the second time round they knew what to expect and so it was easy to fit in and do what they wanted and strangely they said they felt they *belonged* and this time there was a familiarity as to what to expect which made them feel at home.

Good luck with everything and whatever you decide.

It could be a totally different experience depending on where you choose to move back to. I love Sydney to visit but I know I would find it hard to live there without having a lot more money. I couldn't have the equivalent lifestyle I do here in Perth without living somewhere like Manly and I just couldn't afford it. There are places all over Aus that you could have a different lifestyle in. It's like moving from one side of Europe to the other, without the worry of having to learn another language.

Also every experience you have in life changes you. So going back to UK you would not be the same person who left, and perhaps the new experience changed how you viewed life in UK. We are all different and some people just can' live away from their family and friends on the other side of the world. Each to his own - just saying.

Dont know if i could work hard again like you have to in the UK and decent customer service would probably bowl me over as I'm now used to the half a job attitude here :-)

Dont know if i could work hard again like you have to in the UK and decent customer service would probably bowl me over as I'm now used to the half a job attitude here :-)

You must be in Qld, possibly WA

• 2 years later...

I have done it so this is my 2nd time here and although it worked out ( we left uk just before gfc ) That looking to get back to the uk feeling returned after about the 4th or 5th year so make of that what you will..... But no regrets it was the right thing to do at the time. It's all very much about you and why, no one else.

Archived