Spouse - TAFE 1 year course

chitte

Dear all,

My wife plans to study 1 year diploma in beauty therapy(TAFE Course) at Victoria university.

Can you help answer following queries that I have.

1) Can I also get VISA and work there full time?

2) if the course duration is 1 year will the student Visa be exactly 1 year.

Regards,

Vishal

Yes, you can be on the visa, you will be restricted to only working 20 hours per week though.

They normally give you a month or two at the end of your visa depending on when the course ends.

Just incase you were planning on staying in oz, this course won't let you do that. Just so you know before blowing your money.

Yes, you can be on the visa, you will be restricted to only working 20 hours per week though.

They normally give you a month or two at the end of your visa depending on when the course ends.

Just incase you were planning on staying in oz, this course won't let you do that. Just so you know before blowing your money.

Dear Blossom,

thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

I am a brand management professional applying for PR (subclass 190 -state sponsorship: yet to get the Vetassess assessment done).I have assumed that it may take a period of 1 to 1.5 years if I were to be successful in getting the PR at all.

Meanwhile the plan is to get my wife to study a TAFE course (1 year diploma in beauty therapy at Victoria university at melbourne) : the assumed implications are as mentioned below. (Seek you opinion/guidance on the same.)

1) Wife gets 1 year student visa (Jul-2014 intake - yet to contact university for admissions) and gets to work 20 Hrs / week.

2) I get 1 year Visa along with her and can work full time . [the objective is to recover cost of education 14,000 AUD spent on course and 30000 AUD spent on stay/food expense for a year]

3) If my PR application isn't successful, then We can file PR application with my wife as the primary applicant (Assuming that her 1 year diploma in beauty therapy course helps in getting the PR)

Please do let me know your point of view on the above mentioned points.

1) Also is my following assumption right ? - stay/food expense of AUD 30000 for me and my wife's stay at melbourne for a year. I feel we will need 2500 AUD/month to survive in melbourne.

2) We have assumed that 'diploma in beauty therapy ' being a TAFE course and skill being in demand will increase chances of PR at later date if my wife were to file the PR application. Please do let me know your point of view on the same.

Best Regards,

Vishal Chitte

No you can't work full time, she will have to commit to leaving once she is done IIRC. $2500 a month isn't going to be very comfortable at all in Melbourne where you could be up for well over half that amount in rent alone.

Dear Quoll,

Thanks! Should I assume a cost of 4000 AUD /month for 2 people or should it be 5000 AUD?

1) I understand students have following options once the course is over.

1.1) Leave Australia or

1.2) Get a job - may be a special visa available(while I am not sure whether a diploma in beauty therapy will help get a job ) or

1.3) enroll in further studies

2) let me reframe the question I asked earlier

If my wife is a student in a 1 year course , she gets to work 20 Hrs/Week.

Que 1 : Do I get the VISA to be in AUS with her ?

Que 2 : how many hours/week am I allowed to work ?

by the way apologies for my ignorance , but what does IIRC mean?

Regards,

Vishal

You can be a dependent on her visa and work 20 hpw. The average income for Aus is around the $65,000 pa mark but many families need two incomes to make ends meet - if you aimed for just less than the average you might scrape by. As you can only be part time and are temporary you may have trouble finding work. I would think the chances of beauty therapist being in demand is somewhat slim and she should expect to leave at the end of her course

Edited by Quoll

As had been said, you can only work 20 hours a week (both of you). Your wife could work full time in breaks from Tafe but you can only work 20 hours a week all year. Many people on my course really struggled to get part time work.

Next part, a one year course is not going to lead onto another visa. It has to be a two year course. Is that job on the sol or the csol? They are changing the employer sponsored visas so that most people now require a two year course, plus two years post work experience. As the only visa people can get (if their job is on the sol, which I'd be surprised if it is) is an 18 month 485, many people are still not qualifying for these visas.

For state sponsorship you need a skills assessment. If that job is assessed by tra (it will tell you who assesses next to the job title on the sol or csol) then to pass this you need a diploma plus about a year and a halfs work experience. If the job isn't on the sol there is no way of getting this in oz. If it is, the skills assessment costs close to $5k!

As someone who came over on a student visa, I'd forget the idea and concentrate on your other option.