Best area in SE to rent with four dogs

jayuk

Hi guys

Does anyone else have a large extended animal family? We have four dogs and two cats (yes, I know!) and would look to buy a detached home in Kent (even if the commute is longer, to give us as much space as possible) when we've been there for a couple of years. To start with though, we're going to have to rent. What areas in the SE are known to have pet-friendly attitudes to rentals, with large gardens to run in around in?

Thanks very much smile.gif

I should think it is down to the individual landlord, not the area..

:confused:

Good point, so let me ask it a different way. For around £400/week, what area in the SE would give the best value for money when considering outdoor space/garden, while not sacrificing safety (i.e. a good area with good neighbours).

Lots of dogs here in Cambridgeshire but no idea about rentals - 4 is a pretty big pack to accommodate. Think it would be down to the landlord

Will check out Cambridgeshire, thank you. At this point I'm looking for dog-friendly areas (with decent garden space) to at least narrow things down. And then yes, it's about coming to an agreement with the landlord. I'm happy to pay an additional deposit too, just want to identify a couple of key areas that'll work first.

Just my 2 cents worth, we spent a looooong time and viewed lots of properties when looking for for a rental (in Cornwall). Some 'pet friendly' only allow dogs, some only cats. Some turn round and change their mind and say none at all! We offered to deep clean and de odour the property, put more security deposit down but that none of that seemed to make a difference.

(We have 1 collie x dog)

I only ever came across properties that would allow a maximum of 2 animals, never found one that allowed more.

Your best thing is to get looking ASAP, we eventually found a rental through Facebook so cheaper (no silly fees) and far less hassle then using an agent (we have got wonderful landlord but it could have gone the other way).

Best of luck!

Will check out Cambridgeshire, thank you. At this point I'm looking for dog-friendly areas (with decent garden space) to at least narrow things down. And then yes, it's about coming to an agreement with the landlord. I'm happy to pay an additional deposit too, just want to identify a couple of key areas that'll work first.

You are still talking about "dog friendly areas". I just don't believe in this as a concept, do you think a whole village is going to be dog friendly whilst the next is not? This will come down to the individual landlord and indeed I think you are going to need to find a very forgiving one to allow four dogs and two cats and be prepared to pay an extra deposit to cover possible damages. I would pick your area based on other things and then just look to find your rental.

When we have advertised our houses for rent in the UK we generally start off by stating 'no pets', but if after the house has been on the market for a while we then consider applicants with pets, and it's generally on a case by case basis. We did consider a family with 2 dogs and 2 cats but they decided the house wasn't big enough in the end. But we have to rely on our agents to vet applicants, as so many landlords do, and it's probably a case of verging on the safe side.

If you can find a private rental where you're dealing directly with the landlord you might have more luck as they can meet you face to face and even meet the dogs if necessary - then they can see what condition you keep your pets in which is probably a good indication of what condition you would keep the house in!

Some good advice there fourcourners, thanks. I think I'll also take over a report/testimonial from our vet to indicate the type of owners we are, the fact that all animals are spayed (i.e. no breeding going on), the fact that they're all healthy with required vaccines, and report on size/ages to show that the dogs are all relatively small and three of them quite old, so no chance of chewing things, doing anything in the house, etc.

Archived