Getting the ball rolling on citizenship

wheresdbeef

Hi all

I've been thinking of applying for citizenship next year and getting excited! I know it is a little bit away (November 2014) but in the run up to Xmas things get busy and I might have to put an application off till 2015. Is there anything that I can get sorted pre November to get the ball rolling?

If it were possible I'd love to try for an Australia day ceremony 2015!

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Not really. It is a pretty simple process. Once you are eligible you fill the form in on line - it takes about 15 mins and either upload your docs - birth certificate and things or take them to your interview.

I would think it unlikely you will make Australia day. Mine took 5 months and that was with a dispensation to bring the interview / test forward because i work away from home and was scheduled to be away on the date they sent me.

I suspect there are two groups of citizenship applicants - (a) those who want citizenship as soon as possible and (b) those who want a ceremony on Australia Day. It's a pity they don't let people express a preference as it seems a shame for people to be delayed in getting citizenship that they want quickly simply because forthcoming ceremonies are full of people who would rather wait for Australia Day.

Archived