sat nav

Guest bruce&jackie

Guest bruce&jackie

Hi all,

Can i pick your brains please. Going over to validate in May as STILL haven't sold house yet. Dilemma shall we buy a sat nav before we go [friend has Australian maps that we can copy] or wait and buy once out there. Tomtom's seem to be a little cheaper in uk.:wideeyed:

Thanks in advance

Jackie:wubclub:

Guest Dave53

Jackie ..

If there is only a little price difference I would say buy in Aussie ..Gear you buy overseas always seem to have a habit of going faulty soon after arrival , and then you will have the headache of trying to get someone to honour the warranty . Best of luck on your move ..

Dave C

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Hi Jackie,

we already had a tomtom in the Uk as hubby used it for work, It then cost £60 for the aussie maps.

If you are planning on going back to UK after validating then I would buy one in the UK as it may go wrong?! Similarly if you are staying out here for a while then buy here.

we had friends here recently validating their visa and they brought their sat nav from the Uk and said it was great. However, I agree with Dave, I'd buy any major purchases here so that they're covered by warrenty

Ali

Guest Mrs C

Hi Guy's

I already have a TOMTOM, would I be better buying the maps when I get to OZ or getting them from the UK while still here?

Thanks

Guest bruce&jackie

Thanks for all your replies,

I think it will be best to buy in oz. Need to convince Bruce to wait! I think he was looking forward to getting his new toy.:unsure:

Thanks again Jackie

Guest DaveMoore

If you arrive in Oz with a UK tom tom that's had Oz maps added, be aware that it will take up to 30 minutes after switch-on to recognise where the satellites are in the southern hemisphere.

Guest bruce&jackie

Have had a closer look at prices and decided to buy in UK before we go to validate in May.

Thanks Dave for that info would be saying "told you so" if it didn't work when we got there.

Jackie :cute:

we wish we'd bought in the UK as we brought over our sat nav thinking we could buy the maps here for the same price of 40 quid in the UK and got here and found out we had to pay $300 which was the same price as a new one. So guess what we bought a new one and now have our UK one sitting in a drawer at home.....tried to buy the card on line in the UK but they've sold out since we've left.

Guest LynTrc

Hi,

We brought one with us from the u.k and then we bought our daughter one from xmas from here. I have to say the one from the uk is better and we all fight over it, even though they're both navmans.

Love

Tracey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toombark

Buying a tomtom over in the UK makes more sence... you can get it all sorted out before going anywhere. You do not want to be in the situation of not knowing where you are... and then trying to find somewhere to actually buy one as well... The Airport shops will screw you for cost on one.

Buy in the UK and you can search Google for the best price for the OZ maps... then when you get off the plane and (if this is what you are doing) get into the hire care... as you load it up and get the kids on board, you can switch on your Tomtom and let it search for your sats for 10-30 mins.

Good luck

Guest Tom the Pom
Hi,

We brought one with us from the u.k and then we bought our daughter one from xmas from here. I have to say the one from the uk is better and we all fight over it, even though they're both navmans.

Love

Tracey

I bought a Navman recently from Maplins for £109 it came with maps for Europe for free.

Best thing is Navman is a NZ company and the individual states of Oz are available to down load.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kevin/jayne

I have a Navman PDA and they have reduced the price to £100 and it does everything you need it to and a lot more. Buy speed camera alerts, maps etc from people on the internet, it is much better than just navigation tool.Kev.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lion

Hi

I am in the same position as to buy before with maps or not ???

Can anybody tell me

Which is the best sat nav to get ?

Can you download Oz the maps onto SD cards, the reason i ask is I have 3 4gb Sd cards in the drawer at home doing nothing.

It would also be nice to get a model that can be used for pedestrians.OH does not drive,don't want her getting lost in Sydney !!

:wacko:

I bought a Navman recently from Maplins for £109 it came with maps for Europe for free.

Best thing is Navman is a NZ company and the individual states of Oz are available to down load.

hi tom the pom

just wondering if you could tell us where you get the FREE oz navman maps from pleeease just about to buy the maps then read your post FREE sounds so much better lol

would be big help if you could give web address please

cheers

Archived