Travel Up or Travel Down?

Matty91

Hi

So at the end of this month me and my friend land in Sydney to spend New Year there, We have booked our hostel to spend a week in Sydney with the plan to travel north from there and deciding where we was going to go when we get there ... But i have read recently people saying that it starts to get to the wet season up north around the Jan/Feb part of the year.

Will it still be hot (liveable) and sunny? Or will it start to get miserable?

Should we be thinking of travelling down south, do the west then travel to the north east cost around august/september next year and travel back down to Sydney?

We also want to obviously travel the right way round Australia to make sure we get work in order to hopefully get our visa extended for another year

Hope you can help me with my many questions :D Thanks in advance :)

I echo MR2's comments. Have lived in the northern parts of Australia for better than 25 years and for a newchum straight out of the UK cold season to head to the north of Australia is not the best way. We are just coming into the Wet, 4 months of high (35-42 C) temps plus humidity to match. On the other hand, if you go from Sydney to Perth, you might encounter a few high temps but not the big rains we get in the north during the Dec-March period...Plus a cyclone, or two.

Cheers, Bobj.

From what I have heard and read on here I would advise going to QLD asap as rural work in other areas appears to be a bit harder to find. Given the reports posted in this section they say QLD is in need of workers, while people in other areas not so much

But that will change as the southern states have more "European" seasons, so the main harvesting months there will be through summer and autumn....so from now until the end of May.

Should we be thinking of travelling down south, do the west then travel to the north east cost around august/september next year and travel back down to Sydney?

That's what I would recommend. Start thinking about the northern areas around April-May.

Hi

So at the end of this month me and my friend land in Sydney to spend New Year there, We have booked our hostel to spend a week in Sydney with the plan to travel north from there and deciding where we was going to go when we get there ... But i have read recently people saying that it starts to get to the wet season up north around the Jan/Feb part of the year.

Will it still be hot (liveable) and sunny? Or will it start to get miserable?

We also want to obviously travel the right way round Australia to make sure we get work in order to hopefully get our visa extended for another year

Hope you can help me with my many questions :D Thanks in advance :)

I would not head north for Jan /Feb. In some parts of Australia, summer means rain, yes it will be hot, but it will also be very wet. I would go the other way around.

Archived