Job market in Perth

SimoneAL

It seems to be ticking away fine. Industry dependent I suppose but nobody I know is out of work.

I think recovery is probably the wrong choice of word as it levelled out as opposed to slumping but on the whole it seems to be relatively healthy at the moment in my opinion and experience.

Mirror what the others have said, depends on your industry theres plenty of people out of work and plenty in work! Can't really generalise too much best to get proper figures.

I don't think WA ever went through a period of recession, if anything I think it has slowed down now alot compared to what it was, but again generalisation.

I think the days of walking into a high paid job are over unless you have been head hunted. Things are quiet across the board. Saw some friends on the weekend and despite him being recruited 6 months ago, he is in the middle of making redundancies across depts. this is in engineering.

if we were thinking of coming out now, coupled with the high visa costs, the job market would certainly make me think twice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My partner was out of work for ages, as a plumber people made it seem like u can just go over and walk into a job, not the case. Lots of courses and money need to be spent on getting equivalent certs to prove skills, nonetheless once done u can start earning the money back, my partner had to do a job he hated and it was long long hours, eventually he quit due to feeling very low and really focused on getting his trade courses done. In the end he managed to get into mining but it took a year.

My hubby is a first class machinist / tool maker, we are on a 457 and at present we just cannot find another sponsor to take over the visa so he has been out of work since September.
Thats not so good, will you have to go home soon or would you try in another state?

Archived