Another meds question

Moobobs

Hi,

is there a way of getting medicals done before getting assigned a case officer? We have submitted our visa, I was going to wait until medicals were requested but a lot of people seem to do them before they are requested. Just wondering how you go about this and if it is advised? Thanks

Hi,

is there a way of getting medicals done before getting assigned a case officer? We have submitted our visa, I was going to wait until medicals were requested but a lot of people seem to do them before they are requested. Just wondering how you go about this and if it is advised? Thanks

no I don't think a lot of people do medicals before asked, most wait, as per the instructions.

Hi,

We organised ours before getting a case officer because it was the school holidays and we were off anyway. We had ours done in Maidenhead and all they needed was the TRN number so they could upload our results. They were pretty busy and we had to wait a couple of weeks for them to fit all of us in together so I think in the end we had a case officer assigned about a week later. It's just one less thing for them to ask you for. If you're anywhere near, then I'd definitely recommend The Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead, they were lovely.

We organised ours before getting a case officer because it was the school holidays and we were off anyway. We had ours done in Maidenhead and all they needed was the TRN number so they could upload our results. They were pretty busy and we had to wait a couple of weeks for them to fit all of us in together so I think in the end we had a case officer assigned about a week later. It's just one less thing for them to ask you for. If you're anywhere near, then I'd definitely recommend The Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead, they were lovely.

Thanks sideshowdeb! I think we're going to the Bridgewater hospital in Manchester and according to their site you can carry out medicals with a TRN number, so seems you can have it done prior to a CO assigned!

Yes you can front load your medicals - however, sometimes this is a risk because some visa's will use the date of the medical or police check (whichever is earliest) as the date from which the visa runs from. e.g. medicals November 01/11/13, visa granted 31/1/14. So in this example you would be given 12 months from the date of your medicals - which effectively would be 10 months to make your initial entry into Aus and validate the visa. For some this isn't a problem, they're ready to go as soon as the visa is granted, for others there's still a house sale etc., and it means (especially if you're a family) a fair chunk of your savings coming over for a holiday to validate. There have been cases in the past when CO's and visa's were taking a long time to be appointed/given, that some people had to re-do police or medicals or ended up with only about 4 months to validate.

Yes you can front load your medicals - however, sometimes this is a risk because some visa's will use the date of the medical or police check (whichever is earliest) as the date from which the visa runs from. e.g. medicals November 01/11/13, visa granted 31/1/14. So in this example you would be given 12 months from the date of your medicals - which effectively would be 10 months to make your initial entry into Aus and validate the visa. For some this isn't a problem, they're ready to go as soon as the visa is granted, for others there's still a house sale etc., and it means (especially if you're a family) a fair chunk of your savings coming over for a holiday to validate. There have been cases in the past when CO's and visa's were taking a long time to be appointed/given, that some people had to re-do police or medicals or ended up with only about 4 months to validate.

I've seen way fewer than four months... though maybe London is always that considerate. :) That would be awesome. Saw someone frontload her medicals on another forum, and then their partner visa took an inordinate amount of time. She ended up with *three weeks* to validate. CO did not check with her to make sure she could do it, and English was not her first language, so when she looked at the Grant Letter she didn't fully comprehend that it was saying she had to enter in three weeks. It wasn't until the snail-mailed copy ended up with her Australian husband three weeks and two days later that he realized they'd missed the initial entry date and then it was panic time! Fortunately a good RMA was able to help them out and they got the visa reinstated.

Haven't seen anything like that on this forum, though. London on the whole seems far more considerate/organized about that kind of thing than most places.

I've seen way fewer than four months... though maybe London is always that considerate. :) That would be awesome. Saw someone frontload her medicals on another forum, and then their partner visa took an inordinate amount of time. She ended up with *three weeks* to validate. CO did not check with her to make sure she could do it, and English was not her first language, so when she looked at the Grant Letter she didn't fully comprehend that it was saying she had to enter in three weeks. It wasn't until the snail-mailed copy ended up with her Australian husband three weeks and two days later that he realized they'd missed the initial entry date and then it was panic time! Fortunately a good RMA was able to help them out and they got the visa reinstated.

Haven't seen anything like that on this forum, though. London on the whole seems far more considerate/organized about that kind of thing than most places.

Not anything recently, but has been in the past

Thanks sideshowdeb! I think we're going to the Bridgewater hospital in Manchester and according to their site you can carry out medicals with a TRN number, so seems you can have it done prior to a CO assigned!

Yer, ignore my 'if in Australia post' above. That is if you haven't actually applied for the visa yet.

I had my meds done in bridgewater, a good while ago now. They were pretty good (but not as good as the ones in Adelaide who hardly do anything lol).

Archived