Bridging visa for 820

Tothsk

Hi all,

Can anyone please advise what entitlement a bridging visa will give my gf if we got married and she applied for 820 visa?

My girlfriend was applying for 457 visa on 2012 August, but it was declined due to employer's minor mistake. Then she appealed to MRT (Sep 2012), and currently hold Bridging visa E and expecting another 12 months for her case to be reviewed. She got work rights but not allowed to go overseas.

I got my 885 granted a month ago, and we are thinking about getting married soon.

Since she hasn't met her parents for over 24 months, she is now eager to go overseas for a visit (but the condition of Bridging E wan't allow).

We would like to find out if we get married and apply for 820 visa, will she get:

1. work rights?

2. able to travel overseas on new bridging visa?

3. Medicare?

Did anyone been through the similar process before?

Many thanks.

Generally when you apply for an 820, you're given a Bridging Visa A - but that is when you are already on another type of valid visa before you apply. Since your partner is only on a Bridging Visa E, I don't know that they'd put her on a type of Bridging Visa that allows travel -- I'm guessing probably not. Hopefully someone else knows for sure.

Edited by CollegeGirl

Generally when you apply for an 820, you're given a Bridging Visa A - but that is when you are already on another type of valid visa before you apply. Since your partner is only on a Bridging Visa E, I don't know that they'd put her on another type of Bridging Visa -- I'm guessing probably not. Hopefully someone else knows for sure.

Thanks, I just went to official website, I guess she can only get a BVC, which still won't allow leave Aus.

You are right - it is Bridging Visa C. That's not a good one and would not allow work or medicare - though you can get work restrictions lifted subsequently if you can demonstrate hardship. The only Bridging Visa that allows travel is B - and that is granted for a one off trip after which you revert back to another Bridging Visa. There's no harm in applying for the B if you can make out a good reason once the C is granted.

You are right - it is Bridging Visa C. That's not a good one and would not allow work or medicare - though you can get work restrictions lifted subsequently if you can demonstrate hardship. The only Bridging Visa that allows travel is B - and that is granted for a one off trip after which you revert back to another Bridging Visa. There's no harm in applying for the B if you can make out a good reason once the C is granted.

Thank you. still got a little confused here. As she is applying for 820 visa then get a BVC, is she eligible for Medicare? I thought Medicare is linked to the 820 rather than BVC.

Second, how likely she can change over to BVB? or how good the reason needs to be?

I don't think there is any restriction like this.

You don't? Have you established this? I thought there were restrictions on applying for visas onshore whilst on certain bridging visas, or if a previous visa has been declined. Unfortunately I am not sure about the details, but I did think there was something..

ETA: found it, looks like she would be ok as it a partner visa and there is an exception for that.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1026i.pdf

Edited by Rupert

You don't? Have you established this? I thought there were restrictions on applying for visas onshore whilst on certain bridging visas, or if a previous visa has been declined. Unfortunately I am not sure about the details, but I did think there was something..

ETA: found it, looks like she would be ok as it a partner visa and there is an exception for that.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1026i.pdf

Thanks Rupert, I think even if she applied for Partner visa, she will still get a BVC, which won't help. We have decided to wait for her case to be reviewed. Based on latest MRT process time, we are expecting it early-mid next year.

Bridging visa b isn't for a one off trip. It is valid for three months from the date of issue and you can come and go as much as you like in that three months as long as you are back before it expires and reverts to your last bridging visa.

I know BVBs have a travel period, but in practice to apply for one you need to have a particular trip in mind as the reason for its grant. Do you then revert to the original BV or does your BVB remain valid albeit with an expired travel period?

Your bridging visa doesn't revert back until the three months is up (back to the one you were on). When I got mine the guy was trying to convince me I should fly home for Christmas with it too (I got mine in November to go to Hong Kong for a week). He seemed very keen that I should make the most of it lol.

It does say on it that it is valid for multiple entry's up until xxx date.