Australias Driving Congestion

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

MOTORISTS in Australia are spending two hours more stuck in traffic jams than they were just 12 months ago.

The total time an average Australian spends in traffic congestion is now 92 hours a year, according to the Traffic Index.

Sydney predictably was the most congested city in Australia, wasting an average 42 minutes for every hour driven at peak times. The worst times to travel in Sydney were shown to be on Tuesday mornings and Friday afternoons.

Adelaide also saw a rise in congestion, according to the survey, whereas traffic congestion fell in Melbourne and Perth.

"The TomTom Traffic Index demonstrates that congestion is significantly rising globally and this is affecting Australia's major metropolitan cities. By providing an accurate analysis of traffic flow and routing traffic away from congested areas, TomTom plays a key role in helping to ease congestion and save Australians from spending valuable time stuck in traffic," said Chris Kearney, Vice President TomTom Asia Pacific.

Canberra was the least congested city of those surveyed in Australia and New Zealand.

If you hate being on the road, spare a thought for motorists across the Tasman. Congestion has increased more in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington than any Australian capital city.

If you think driving in parts of Australia makes you so mad that you want to immigrate, think again.

Sydney now ranks just 14th in the world when it comes to traffic congestion. The worst, according to TomTom, is Moscow, followed by Istanbul, Łódź in Poland's third biggest city, Rio de Janeiro and Warsaw.

- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/australian-motorists-spend-94-hours-a-year-in-congestion-tomtom-traffic-index/story-e6frg8ro-1226754339030#sthash.RTIbly73.dpuf

Agree with this! I have returned to Perth recently after being away for 2 years and the roads are soo much worse and anyone who says otherwise is in denial! I have driven to work once since returning and am now on the train daily as the drive took me an hour and a half when it used to take 40mins at the same time of day. My brother in law spends 4 hours a day commuting its crazy to me and another reason I can't wait to leave!

Traffic jams do my head in,lol, I can't tolerate sitting in them and will go miles out of way to get around it where possible,lol.. and there is nothi ng worse than getting to the end of it and not seeing a reason for it (as in bumped car etc) Not sure how i put up with it every day coming home from work when living in Manchester,lol.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen
Traffic jams do my head in,lol, I can't tolerate sitting in them and will go miles out of way to get around it where possible,lol.. and there is nothi ng worse than getting to the end of it and not seeing a reason for it (as in bumped car etc) Not sure how i put up with it every day coming home from work when living in Manchester,lol.

Cal x

That's what I love about living up here, a traffic jam is 10 cars in a line :wink: and that's usually at a red light

Agree with this! I have returned to Perth recently after being away for 2 years and the roads are soo much worse and anyone who says otherwise is in denial! I have driven to work once since returning and am now on the train daily as the drive took me an hour and a half when it used to take 40mins at the same time of day. My brother in law spends 4 hours a day commuting its crazy to me and another reason I can't wait to leave!

Fully agree. Have witnessed the massive increase in through traffic in inner city Leederville over recent years. It's only going to get worse. Now is the time to put alternative public transport measures into place. All the plans to do so scrapped by this present state government, or though they ran on that as a big part of their re election. Federal government only interested in funding more roads. Further declines in living standards.

Something akin to that was said about Perth twenty five years back.

Not quite, early 60s it was bad getting to the city due to the stupidly narrow streets in the biggest state in the free world...Lived in West Leederville then and there were snarls then. Early 70s I lived in East Vic Park and the piddlingly small roundabout coming off the Causeway along the Albany Hwy was a real bottleneck.

Cheers, Bobj.

In Beijing it is so bad you have to set off really, really early in the morning to get anywhere. They now have a roster system for the days you are allowed to drive a car and only locals are allowed to drive in the CBD. After some weeks over there we came back to Melbourne traffic and thought it was very light!

Archived