457 via business purchase???

clipper

I think that you and your friend need to take some professional advice.

You don't need to buy a business that is an approved business sponsor.

A onshore business that has an ABN can apply to become a business sponsor - in other words you can buy an existing business and that entity then applies to the DIBP to become a business sponsor. This is very do-able as a strategy, but probably not without professional support.

Best regards.

Best regards.

I'll take your word for it, but wouldn't a residential address imply residency? You couldn't give the address of your B and B, for example?

That's very kind - taking my word for it! :biggrin:

As long as ASIC has an address in Australia at which documents can be served they'll be happy. Remembering also the need to update address details with ASIC within 28 days of any change.

Best regards.

Quote .gov.

• if you are lawfully operating a business in Australia, you must attest, in writing, that you have a strongrecord of, or a demonstrated commitment to, employing local labour

I think this actually says. You must inform us in writing the steps you have taken to fill the position locally....If I'm not mistaken?

You are mistaken.

Best regards.

Alan. I don't recall saying it was impossible to be an approved business. I said the criteria had widened for a business that could help. Meaning as you have stated, already had approval. However business is wide. I may be mistaken regarding the need to employ locally first, but if you could put an explanation to your statement it would helpful and not sound so condescending...but thanks for your interest in this thread.

Hi again clipper.

I'm trying to steer you in the right direction, which in my view is to take professional advice.

My opinion is that this is too challenging a scenario to address fully on a discussion forum such as this. You can do the research - as you are clearly doing - but you need a proper overview of what is and what is not do-able. You aren't interpreting key issues correctly, and that is causing you to reach the wrong conclusions.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan, and thanks for your concern. I'll pass on the advice (politely) I appreciate your input, but find a little short in explanation. If someone is wrong, and you have information to suggest they may be being misled by what they are reading, it's sometimes best to say what is wrong with the path they are on, not, just that it's wrong. I haven't been pulling random nuggets of internet information, but using the government advice sources. Which appear to be wrong?...confused.

My friend has sought professional advice, and was advised to follow this route.

Edited by clipper

Quote .gov.

• if you are lawfully operating a business in Australia, you must attest, in writing, that you have a strongrecord of, or a demonstrated commitment to, employing local labour

I think this actually says. You must inform us in writing the steps you have taken to fill the position locally....If I'm not mistaken?

You are mistaken as this part is not related to the position being sponsored, but the business in general. There is currently no labour market testing for a 457.

I don't think the actual 'special' 457 visa exists. I think it's believed that if you chose to take up employment in a less popular region, you may get an easier ride?

There is nothing in the Regulations which makes it easier to obtain a 457 in Regional areas. There used to be exemptions for Regional 457 applications but this was removed from the Regulations years ago.

There are no easy rides I’m afraid.

Alan. I don't recall saying it was impossible to be an approved business. I said the criteria had widened for a business that could help. Meaning as you have stated, already had approval. However business is wide. I may be mistaken regarding the need to employ locally first, but if you could put an explanation to your statement it would helpful and not sound so condescending...but thanks for your interest in this thread.

As an explanation for Agent posting being short and to the point, you must understand that:

• Some issues are complex and we do not have the time to post an in-depth analysis of the Regulations;

• The Regulations can be complex and often not able to be summed up in a short post. Condensing a complex issue can lead to confusion and misunderstanding. These are often the posts where we will advise professional advice;

• There is often insufficient information on a thread to give any cogent and specific advice, as such we keep it general;

As you will have noticed from Agent posts on this forum, we do not post on many threads. In most cases Agents on this forum will only comment on a small number. Usually when we can add value to the conversation, advise when a post or comment is incorrect and potentially dangerous or highlight when a case is complex and may need professional assistance.

• 8 months later...

If anyone ever wondered about the outcome of this....? My friend now has a printing business in Coffs Harbour and is doing very well. He (we) own the company and employ his wife on a 457 visa and she sponsors him. What happens after...anyones guess!